My Gaming Aims of 2013

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
delb2k

My Gaming Aims of 2013

Post by delb2k »

First off this is not a resolutions thread. Primarily because I can never keep to them due to increasing forgetfulness.

This thread is for the gaming aims you would like to try and achieve in the next year. They can be tiny, huge or something right in-between.

I have been thinking about this myself and already come up with a few of my own:

- Finish a game on each of the current owned formats (360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, PC, 3DS and Vita)

This one is because it can be very easy to fall into a churn and just rotate the discs in the same machine over and over again. While the majority of the titles I own are on 360 there is more than enough on everything to manage this.

- Never play the same genre in succession.

This means no FPS after FPS after FPS. Mix it up, play some Call of Duty followed by Binding of Isaac topped off with Forza. By not repeating the same genres I hope to avoid that feeling of fatigue that can so easily kick in.

- Start and finish a few PS2, GameCube and XBox titles.

As to forget the past is a silly thing to do, especially when my library still has so many new expiriences to give out

- Write more, record more and participate more in the conversation.

As a community is a great thing to have and well worth taking part in.

So does anyone else have plans, or ideas of what they want to do in 2013 from a gaming perspective?
Scrustle

Re: My Gaming Aims of 2013

Post by Scrustle »

I really should finish all the games I tell myself I always tell myself I'll get around to instead of moving on to something else. Stuff like all the RPGs I've gotten half way through or stuff where I've hit a tough spot and rage quitted on. I just keep getting distracted even though my backlog was already massive.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Basically, try to save enough money for the next consoles.

They have to be coming...right?
DarthCuddles

Post by DarthCuddles »

To get to reasonable level of play in both Dota 2 and Starcraft Heart of the Swarm
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

To continue not to buy/play everything title which comes out and squeek more time out of the games I do really enjoy e.g The Binding of Isaac (103 hours). Done reasonably well in 2012, but ya know, let's keep the good thing going.
nickoneill1888

Post by nickoneill1888 »

Finish any games I start. And dig into the backlog a little! I still have Dark Souls sitting there which I have started but I cant seem to concentrate my efforts to make any real dent in it.
General Aquila

Post by General Aquila »

Either commit to a game or trade it in. I still have games uncompleted in my pile of shame and I simply either need to man up and play them or get rid of them!
Toffer

Post by Toffer »

I'd certainly like to continue my quest to finish all the console based Zelda games. I started at Legend of Zelda in October 2011 and between other games and god knows what else, I've only got as far as Link To The Past. I've done them all before but it's something I wanted to do again.

My pile of shame needs tackling big style. Most of the Xbox / Wii / Ps3 games I can rent, although there are a couple that I want to buy.

Finally, much like the OP, to write more, and be more an active member of the community.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Slowly but surely, replace all my multi platform console games with their superior PC versions.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I'll be doing some of that as well once I get my gaming PC sorted. Steam sales will be our friend here.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Only one that comes to mind immediately is to start and finish at least one, decent Let's Play.
Steam sales will be our friend here.
A big part of why I have so few games on the 360.
Toffer

Post by Toffer »

ratsoalbion wrote:I'll be doing some of that as well once I get my gaming PC sorted. Steam sales will be our friend here.
I got a new PC and start of 2012 and I've slowly brought more and more for them and less and less for the consoles. The only things I'll get on console now are Sports and Racing games. The occasional third person shooter, but most third person shooters, first person shooter and RTS games, are only to be played on the PC. I just wish the 'PC' as a platform had an achievement system.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Keep a very careful eye on what Valve is doing with Linux. They have tested he waters a few times in recent history gauging reactions. With the way MS are attempting to close up PC gaming on Windows we'll need a truly open and free gaming platform for all our indie darlings to release on. (Other than iOS/Android)
FollowMyRuin

Post by FollowMyRuin »

I've got a 2 month old son, my gaming aim is to try and get through one game a month.....

...what have I become? I used to be cool!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Replay Shenmue 2, play Skyward Sword, play Lost Odyssey, catch up on Assassins Creed (only played up to 2). Play through Borderlands 2 with my Mrs.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

The two things I want to finally get off my to do list in 2013 are; finish off all the Company of Heroes single player stuff, and play through Dragon Age Origins. Only several years too late on both those things!
Jerome McI

Post by Jerome McI »

Complete my 'Shin Megami Tensei' collection.
Play more games on the PC over console.
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

Jerome McI wrote:Complete my 'Shin Megami Tensei' collection.
Play more games on the PC over console.
What are you missing? I need to track down Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon. Annoyingly I missed out on the version that came with the plushy. :(

I have a load of RPGs on the go that I need to wrap up; Xenoblade Chronicles, Skyrim, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Nier and the dlc for New Vegas. Also, I really need some decent shelving for my collection (or at least the best bits), so I need to pull my finger out and buy some.
James

Post by James »

DomsBeard wrote:Replay Shenmue 2, play Skyward Sword, play Lost Odyssey, catch up on Assassins Creed (only played up to 2). Play through Borderlands 2 with my Mrs.
Catching up on Assassin's Creed is a tricky one to do. I've been keeping pace thus far (albeit around 6 months after release) and my enthusiasm has waned significantly. I'd suggest skipping Brotherhood and Revelations if you can bear to, if only to avoid burning out. That way the stuff that ACIII takes from those will seem incredibly fresh instead.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Ha ha don't say that I've had brotherhood & revelations on my pile of shame for 18 months :D