Mobile phone gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: Android and iOS Gaming

Post by Flabyo »

That's not actually true anymore.

If there's an older version of an app for the version of iOS you're running, you now get the option to download it.

With The Room it's more that it was designed for the iPad originally, the older iPhones lack the memory for the texture work. It'd look like arse.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh really? That's pretty good then, maybe I can now install Spotify on my first gen iPod touch!
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

My top played games for iPad are Civilization Revolution, 10,000,000 and a bit of random one called International Snooker 2012. Genuinely chuffed to make that first century break!

Anyone have some more turn based options? If possible not on the free to play model. Speaking of which, has the slew of free games with micro-transactions ruined the enjoyment of even just browsing the App Store for anyone else? Not having a price to make a value judgement on what someone is offering means I hardly ever bother now. I'd happily spend a few quid when I first got the iPad, but now it feels like so many games take the money pit model that it has clogged things up completely.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I really hope its a passing fad but something tells me it's not only here to stay, but what with it now creeping on to the co soles, will soon become the norm. The day you can pay £5.99 to max out your character stats in Mass Effect 4 will be a pretty sad day for gaming.
The_Rooster

Post by The_Rooster »

I enjoyed Chippy on iOS it's £2 I think and that had given me a few hours of time passing entertainment, better on the Ipad tho. Loved The Room completed both of them and yes they do get mental!

Also a quick loo game on android is Plague Inc. Where you are a virus trying to wipe out the human race. Bit morale challenging but entertaining all the same.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

My favourite 5 are.

Marvel Puzzle Quest - I've played this every day for over 70 days now and is the best example of the free to play model. Brilliant.
Pixel People (iOS) - Marvelous tapper of a game, hugely addictive.
The Room - Great puzzle game.
10000000 - Brilliant in pretty much every single way and the sound track is especially ace.
Plague Inc - Cracking little game.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

With Tengami coming out on iOS, Nyamyam Games are inevitably heading towards Steam to release their game there!

Could you all do us a favour and click "Yes" on the Steam Greenlight page. Fankz!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =252887537
countstex

Post by countstex »

That looks pretty amazing mate! Vote given.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Loving FTL on iPad. Anyone requested it for a podcast yet? If not, I cast the first vote!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It's been requested many times!
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I've spent 20+ hours on Trials Frontier, without spending a penny! I've never played a Trials game before, though I am hoping for a PS4 copy of Fusion for my birthday on Friday. I have played a ton of similar games on iOS though. It looks lovely, and whilst I'm sure there's some precision lost in the touch controls, it feels so much more fluid and controllable than other titles, and I'm now finding myself twitching and tweeting the lean controls constantly and instinctively. I'm guessing I'm just about through with the story mode now, where a bunch of characters give you missions that reap rewards, which can of course also be purchased to avoid grinding, which only now am I starting to find a bit too much of a grind. The races are now also reaching a point where anything but perfection results in losing. Like I understand for it's bigger console siblings, you need to get used to hitting restart regularly. Can't recommend this enough though, for value alone!
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Wow. Last post here was from me in March, bigging up Trials Frontier on iOS, which is also the background to this post, but maybe a useful tip for anyone suffering from apps crashing on their iPhone / iPad as soon as you click their icon...

Trials Frontier tells me the last time I played was 52 days ago, when I installed an app update and started getting the aforementioned crash. No support forthcoming and no solution visible, I just deleted the app. Last week, an app at work I'm involved in specifying started doing the same thing after a language update to support Chinese and Japanese. A lot of analysis later, it turned out that in updating the language settings generally, we caused a problem with iOS devices set to the old single English setting rather than the latest British, Canadian, US, etc. English options. Changing to British English in iOS settings sorted that out, so I thought I'd try it on Trials, and lo and behold I'm now enjoying it again.

I also reinstalled the new Touch Racing 2, which also crashed on startup when I installed it the other day, and that works now too, although I didn't get on with the controls at all so it's been deleted a second time in as many days!

Anyway, if you've ever experienced this, give the language settings thing a go.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Just installed Trials Frontier! Seems ace so far.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Cool. I'm about 25 hours in now. And not spent a penny!

Coming back to my language setting fix, it also sorts out Safari crashing when filling in forms, in case anyone else has that problem too.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Trials Frontier is awesome yeah!
dezm0nd

Re: iOS and Android gaming

Post by dezm0nd »

Those who founded Rare have created a new studio, FortuneFish. Their new game is out!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... g&hl=en_GB

edit: modded the two threads together.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Gave it a try, its ok but the physics aren't amazing and its not as much fun as it first appears. Killed ten minutes though!

In other news, the incredible One Finger Death Punch is now out on mobile - they've gone for an annoying freemium model but the core gameplay is still there.
Guy_JD

iOS and Android gaming

Post by Guy_JD »

I know it's not a game in itself but Minecraft Reality has just gone free on the Apple App Store, it lets you put Minecraft creations into your real world surroundings using augmented reality, looks pretty cool but unfortunately not compatible with my iPhone 4 :(
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/minecra ... 91556?mt=8
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I gave Minecraft Reality a go earlier. Nice concept, but really limited number of Minecraft components to place in a real world photo - 5 or 6. Also very picky about the type of photo you're taking. Seems to need a lot of anchor points in it - edges, features, etc. Worth getting it into your purchased list now though, in case it gets an update.

Framed is also free today - was very highly acclaimed in the mobile gaming media a couple of months ago. Called a narrative puzzle - comic books frames that you need to reorder to complete a scene successfully. I'm downloading it as we speak.

I've had hours of fun out of WWE Immortals this week - copy and paste of an Injustice game (I think) that I played for a bit ages ago, but with wrestlers. Free to download, very simple to play, like a very watered down Mortal Kombat, but there is some strategy to the gameplay, as well as some strategy for beating the pay system, which I'm doing very nicely with so far. A bit of grinding, but if you've stuck with it in Destiny, it's the same kind of deal. Some might also argue that it shares the limited content of Destiny (but not I for either), though in the first week they've introduced a new challenge mode, that offers premium content and seems possible to complete with the aforementioned no-payment strategy, and given the polish I assume there's more to come, as well, as more wrestlers. Worth a download!
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

tap titans ate my weekend

I've also been poking at trials frontier, which is really good for a freebie.