Mobile phone gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: iOS Gaming

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote:Hmmm, surely Sony owns the WipEout IP..?
Yeah you know, I was thinking that as I wrote it, but that's what they said on the Pocket Gamer podcast so I don't know.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

ratsoalbion wrote:Hmmm, surely Sony owns the WipEout IP..?
Yeah, Wipeout is definitely Sony's license.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Civ Rev is my favourite game on my iPad. I also really liked 10000000.

I need to get into trying out some board game conversions like Ticket to Ride, but it is tough as I've never really played them in real life so I keep putting it off.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah same here. There was that and the Carcesssisssccccertrrore game or whatever it's called.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Er Carcassonne?
PlexShaw

Post by PlexShaw »

magicjoef wrote:I need to get into trying out some board game conversions like Ticket to Ride, but it is tough as I've never really played them in real life so I keep putting it off.
The iPhone/IPod Touch version was free a few days ago. Don't worry if you didn't grab it as it's been free a few times before.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote:Er Carcassonne?
That's what I said!
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

PlexShaw wrote:
magicjoef wrote:I need to get into trying out some board game conversions like Ticket to Ride, but it is tough as I've never really played them in real life so I keep putting it off.
The iPhone/IPod Touch version was free a few days ago. Don't worry if you didn't grab it as it's been free a few times before.
Ah, cool. I will try and keep an eye out for it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Real Racing 3 was out yesterday - it's really good! Free as well.

By the way, I don't know if anyone bothers with Game Centre on iPhone, but the only reason I don't is because I've never actually added anyone. If you iPhone game add me - Alex79uk

I think there are lots of leaderboards etc for RR3.
strickenmcq

Post by strickenmcq »

Alex79uk wrote:Real Racing 3 was out yesterday - it's really good! Free as well.

By the way, I don't know if anyone bothers with Game Centre on iPhone, but the only reason I don't is because I've never actually added anyone. If you iPhone game add me - Alex79uk

I think there are lots of leaderboards etc for RR3.
Not sure if you have seen this review http://metro.co.uk/2013/03/01/real-raci ... y-3521601/ this has somewhat put me off the game, have you had the same experience with the game as yet?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Not really encountered anything that annoyed me yet. I wont be spending any cash on it, and I guess if it gets to the point where I need to in order to progress I'll just delete it. The racing is pretty fun, and I've been playing it a couple of days with no problems so far. Every time you upgrade your car, or carry out repairs it's like 'this will take 5 minutes to complete (real time BTW) or spend 3 coins to do it now' and I just close the game for a bit and do something else. That's the thing about iPhone games - I never just sit there playing them exclusively. I might click it on for a race or two whilst waiting for the kettle to boil and then turn it off, or have a couple of races waiting in the car picking the kids up from school, having to wait for stuff in free-to-play games has never bothered me.

Conversely, if it ever happens with proper console games it would really grate. If you're not sure, you might as well download it and give it a go, it's free after all!
strickenmcq

Post by strickenmcq »

Alex79uk wrote:Not really encountered anything that annoyed me yet. I wont be spending any cash on it, and I guess if it gets to the point where I need to in order to progress I'll just delete it. The racing is pretty fun, and I've been playing it a couple of days with no problems so far. Every time you upgrade your car, or carry out repairs it's like 'this will take 5 minutes to complete (real time BTW) or spend 3 coins to do it now' and I just close the game for a bit and do something else. That's the thing about iPhone games - I never just sit there playing them exclusively. I might click it on for a race or two whilst waiting for the kettle to boil and then turn it off, or have a couple of races waiting in the car picking the kids up from school, having to wait for stuff in free-to-play games has never bothered me.

Conversely, if it ever happens with proper console games it would really grate. If you're not sure, you might as well download it and give it a go, it's free after all!
Good attitude to take, I get too frustrated with the waiting but I guess that's what the publisher wants me to do and buy the 'currency'. I'll give it a go and play it in small chunks.
Donk

Post by Donk »

I've been playing Beneath a Steel Sky, I find playing adventure games in the casual environment of iOS is much better than sitting at the PC, I would get impatient and anxious immediately there, which is why I never finished it back in the day. Enjoying it now even though the VO is pretty lols.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah it's a great game isn't it. I loved the iPhone version, the music still kicks ass.

I played this last night, all in one go in bed - The Silent Age.

Worth checking out. The puzzles are beyond simple but it's just got such a, I don't know, charm about it. It's hilarious in places, unintentionally. You'll pick up an item and the guy will tell you what to do with it haha. "Ah, some scissors, I can cut a rope with these". Lol.

Anyway, reason I mentioned it - it reminded me of Beneath A Steel Sky. Couldn't put my finger on why, but it's free so definitely worth a look. I enjoyed it a lot anyway. I reckon it'll become a bit of a cult hit.

More - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-sil ... 91034?mt=8
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Good recommendation. That one definitely slipped through the net undeservedly. The puzzles are very simple, but there is some quick satisfaction to be had from them. Not a classic, but it's free and I've just spent a happy 45 minutes with it, so thanks for the tip.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Just read on Slide to Play that XCOM: Enemy Unknown is coming to iOS... http://zite.to/11xjeAa
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Woah! :D
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Here's a recommendation - DRM (Death Ray Manta).

Twin stick shooter like Geometry Wars remixed by Jeff Minter. No high scores, just completing as many neon levels that last seconds as possible where getting shot means game over and trying again.

I really enjoyed it, as did Eurogamer:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... nta-review
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Sounds great, thanks for the heads up!
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

It has just gone up from 69p to £1.49 unfortunately. Still a bargain though.