Mobile phone gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: iOS and Android gaming

Post by ratsoalbion »

You’re right, it does read like spam! There was obviously something about it that convinced me you were legit though.
The Freeman

Post by The Freeman »

ratsoalbion wrote: August 8th, 2019, 12:32 amThere was obviously something about it that convinced me you were legit though.
Well I didn't ask you for money or claim to be an oversees prince looking to cash a cheque!
The Freeman

Post by The Freeman »

I played the first two levels of Odmarr last night, which is a viking themed platformer for Android (and maybe iOS). It's a great looking game and so far it's responsive enough to be enjoyable. There's also some nicely drawn story scenes and decent voice work. It's been billed as a 'console-like experience'. We've heard that old story before but in fairness it's very solid. I'm just concerned about paying to unlock the game. I don't mean to sound like a tight-ass but I've been burned too often with mobile games. Has anyone played this? Does the touch screen remain responsive enough as the difficulty increases?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Anyone else playing Gears POP?

Combination of it having Xbox achievements and the lead engineer being a friend of mine means I was always going to play it.

Some of the best modes are locked if you’re not in a ‘crew’ though, any interest in me making a cane and rinse one?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Gonna give it a try over the weekend. I'll probably download it when I get home - is it a good game?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It’s.. ok so far I think. It’s quite shameless in borrowing most of clash royale’s game mechanics for its main versus mode.

It does have some co-op modes, which is what you need the ‘crew’ thing for, so that could be interesting.
Hevi_Metaru

Post by Hevi_Metaru »

The Freeman wrote: August 7th, 2019, 11:43 pm I've just realised that my very first post on this forum reads like spam. Apologies. I just get a little too enthusiastic when I find a good mobile game because the Play Store is like wading through a mile of shit.
Completely agree. Basically the recommended games are all microtransaction filled "games". Even if they are free, the game part is completely built around you spending money, unless you're happy to wait for a timer.

I'd love to play some decent mobile games, as mobile does offer a wealth of possibilities in terms of gameplay. I'm sure there are many out there!

Also having a portable emulation box like a phone and being able to hook up a controller is brilliant. VR is also excellent on Samsung devices.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Flabyo wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 5:32 pm It’s.. ok so far I think. It’s quite shameless in borrowing most of clash royale’s game mechanics for its main versus mode.

It does have some co-op modes, which is what you need the ‘crew’ thing for, so that could be interesting.
For me, it riffs of Minion Masters so I'm enjoying it so far. I'd be uo for joining a clan if you need bodies
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

in fact, put my money where my mouth is and created Cane and Rinse clan on Gears Pop.

It's currently open to all with no minimum cog requirement but happy to alter those settings if preferred
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hevi_Metaru wrote: August 24th, 2019, 2:10 amI'd love to play some decent mobile games, as mobile does offer a wealth of possibilities in terms of gameplay. I'm sure there are many out there!

There are hundreds, maybe even thousands of mobile games worth your time. Some of them free to play and some of them 'pay once'. Here's a quick list of some of the best ones I've enjoyed over the years:

Her Story
The Room series
Horizon Chase
Gorogoa
Framed
Professor Layton (1 and 2)
Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy
Bendys Ink Run
Part Time UFO
Alto's Odyssey
Million Onion Hotel
Human Resource Machine
World Of Goo
Little Inferno

....off the top of my head.
Hevi_Metaru

Post by Hevi_Metaru »

Alex79uk wrote: August 24th, 2019, 2:55 pm
Hevi_Metaru wrote: August 24th, 2019, 2:10 amI'd love to play some decent mobile games, as mobile does offer a wealth of possibilities in terms of gameplay. I'm sure there are many out there!

There are hundreds, maybe even thousands of mobile games worth your time. Some of them free to play and some of them 'pay once'. Here's a quick list of some of the best ones I've enjoyed over the years:

Her Story
The Room series
Horizon Chase
Gorogoa
Framed
Professor Layton (1 and 2)
Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy
Bendys Ink Run
Part Time UFO
Alto's Odyssey
Million Onion Hotel
Human Resource Machine
World Of Goo
Little Inferno

....off the top of my head.
Thanks for the recommendations man, I heard fantastic things about "Her Story"!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It's good, and whilst I wasn't overly taken with the story in the end, it was a very interesting experiment, and I'd love to see it worked in to part of a fuller game. Some sort of police investigation game perhaps along the lines of LA Noire.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Same here, waiting for Android. I'm confused as to why they chose to release on mobile, though. I hope it comes to console as I'd much rather play it on the TV.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

If its fully optimised for mobile, I agree. But I can't be bothered wrestling with annoying on screen joysticks or any of that nonsense for a game that's supposed to be digital tranquility. However, That Game Company give me no reason to doubt them, given their track record, so I'm sure (hopeful) it'll control perfectly.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

It seems like these games are free on Android right now:

Downwell
Motorsport Manager 2 Mobile
Line Rider
Trigono

EDIT: It was Motorsport Magnager 2, not 1.

EDIT 2: Also, Peppa Pig's Sports Day, for the bairns
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Chopper wrote: September 21st, 2019, 8:29 am EDIT 2: Also, Peppa Pig's Sports Day, for the bairns
Excellent, thanks!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I am from the northern part of Ireland (not NI).

We say wains but I’m thinking nobody would get that.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: September 21st, 2019, 9:14 am
Chopper wrote: September 21st, 2019, 8:29 am EDIT 2: Also, Peppa Pig's Sports Day, for the bairns
Excellent, thanks!
Hmm, £2.99 for me.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Ah, sorry, it must have gone off sale overnight. I just checked the first couple this morning and they were still free.

Hope you didn’t get the kids hyped up in vain :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

So Mario Kart is out for mobile. That's a thing now.

Looks nice. Sounds great. But...

...unless I'm seriously missing something, the controls are completely fucked!? You can choose between either steering OR drifting when you slide your finger on the screen. One or the other. Choose 'steering' method (suggested for beginners) and you can't drift. Choose drifting and you can't steer, because any time you swipe, you automatically move in to drifting. It's utterly bizarre. Someone will hopefully tell me I'm wrong, because the game looks lovely.

:(