Mobile phone gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
brutaldeluxe09

Re: iOS and Android gaming

Post by brutaldeluxe09 »

I've been toying with the idea of getting an iPad as I really like the sound of some of the games out recently, think I'll keep an eye over this thread to see if it can confirm my suspicions, that I really an iPad.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The Room Three is out now on iOS

Probably the best puzzle game on the platform.

You should get the previous two games as well if you've not played them.

They're outstanding.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Cool! They're a great series.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

This War Of Mine landed on iPhone and Android this week (having previously been available on tablet). It's still outstanding, and half price if you grab it now.

Now - can anyone recommend a Football Manager Lite game? I used to love footy manager games on my old Amstrad, but then lost interest when they got overly complicated and involved. I'd love to find an easy going management game on my phone (Android) to get in to. I played New Star Soccer to death so not that, but does anyone know of any others? Thanks.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

This might be exactly what you're after - Football Manager iOS is dividing itself into two experiences this year, the full-on Football Manager Mobile 2016 and the streamlined Football Manager Touch 2016:

http://toucharcade.com/2015/09/08/two-n ... christmas/

http://www.footballmanager.com/games/fo ... touch-2016
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Cheers Leon, that looks like it might be exactly what I'm after. Nice one, will keep an eye on that :)
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Not played it yet, but there's also Kevin Toms Football, from the godfather of football manager games himself! I think I can still name every player from the original on the Spectrum!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I got a new phone the other week (Galaxy S6) so I've been downloading games for that. I'm loving Horizon Chase at the moment. It's a really stylish simple racer, like a mix of Outrun and Pole Position. Ultra arcade style handling, lots of cars and upgrades and tracks etc. It's lots of fun, give it a try! It's free with an option to upgrade to premium, which I might do.

Also enjoying Lifeline, which I'm sure most people have heard of. If not, you are in communication with a guy who's crash landed on an alien planet and he sends you messages and you direct him in a choose your own adventure style.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I really like Horizon Chase too. You're spot on with your description, Alex. Have you tried making the outline of a heart with your finger on the first track (San Francisco) yet?
Beck

Post by Beck »

I've just switched from Android to IOS, I'm loving it. This thread has given me a good list of games to check out which is brillant, thanks gents.

I've been playing a lot of hearthstone but I've got bored with the insane difficulty jump for new players, unless I play the arena or tavern I get beaten, a lot. I would consider paying for some decks / solo adventures but the prices are quite high at £18.99 for one campaign and I'm not convinced one campaign would be enough. As much as I like hearthstone I'm not willing to drop £35-50 on it.

So, can anyone recommend a card game that is good for beginners? I'm dipping my toes into the card genre with only playing gwent (witcher 3) and hearthstone so I'm intrigued but a bit indimitated by some of the card games I've seen.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Hmm, that's a tough one.

There's a reasonably decent version of the Pokemon CCG on iOS, that's a fairly easy game to get into (although I'm not a fan of it myself)

There's a bunch of Magic: The Gathering games on there, Origins 2015 is the one to try but you need a fairly recent iOS device to run it (it doesn't run on my iPad 3 for example).

I played the recent Adventure Time one a bit, that seemed like it might have some legs but the theme put me off it.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Thanks Flabyo, I'll take a look at those and report back :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Interesting, I've heard plenty of people switch from iOS to Android, but rarely the other way. Anything in particular that swayed you?
Beck

Post by Beck »

Yeah? I think the switch from iOS to android was popular a couple models ago but it's maybe reversed now. Out of the people in my office who have upgraded this year -
4 Android owners upgraded to another Android.
7 iPhone owners upgrade their iPhone.
6 Android owners switched to iPhone
0 iPhone users switched to Android.
1 Windows Mobile owner switched to iPhone
There are now 8 Android owners, 14 iPhone owners and 0 Microsoft owners in my office. Admittedly this is likely due to the Wi-Fi thing below.

I was actually in the market for another android phone as the hand me down s4 I was using was looking a little bruised and getting tired. I spotted this crazy deal on the iPhone 6s during the black Friday sales, I had to jump to it. Obviously I am still new to iOS and I will admit that I am jaded with the "ooooh shiny" thing. I'm really enjoying the iPhone, it's new to me and it has a lot of little things that just seem better. There are a few things I miss like being able to share from every app without copying and paste and the ability to organise the order of applications was handy. I also play in a band so the link up to garage band is quite good for quickly capturing a track.

Android Gripes -

* SD Card storage, it's incredibly slow and frustrating to manage
* Podcast feeds seem to be a complete faff.
* Android 5 bugs the life out of me. I don't think a lot of the changes that were made were improvements. Also a lot of the patches seem to break things.
* Wi-Fi, Android 5.x doesn't work in a corporate environment. If I walked between access points I would have to disconnect my wife and reconnect. Giant inconvenience for me when I don't get mobile reception in work so rely on Wi-Fi for communications.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Fair enough! (Although just in case you ever find yourself with an Android device again, be sure to get the BeyondPod app - it's brilliant).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... dpod&hl=en
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just had a play with the newly(ish) released Rayman Adventures.

Just deleted the newly(ish) released Rayman Adventures.

The reason Jungle and Fiesta Run both worked so well was the simple control. Tap to jump and that was about it. With Adventures they've tried to released a fully featured Rayman game on to phones using swipe controls, and it doesn't work. Rayman is at its best when you're bombing through the level not even thinking about the controls, just reacting. The fiddly swipe and tap based control scheme means you're spending too much time thinking about what you're doing, it's just not fun.

It's free so give it a try because it looks stunning, but not one for me.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been playing Kingdom Rush. Standard tower defence fare but nicely done, very enjoyable. Haven't had to throw any money at it yet and I've put a good couple of hours in so far.
Dixxxaster

Post by Dixxxaster »

Smash Hit - Gorgeously rendered and wonderfully abstract. Fire metal spheres into crystals and glass panes as you move forward - get hit by one or miss any and your ball multiplier drops back down to zero. Does strange things with gravity/orientation and takes you underwater for a stage too. Becomes hypnotic after a while - 69p I believe for the version that saves your progress, free otherwise.

Card Crawl - a strange hybrid of card collection and solitaire-style battling. 54 cards including monsters, shields, weapons, health potions and unlockable ability cards. Whittle the (possibly a) minotaur's deck down to nothing without dying to win. Haven't found much like it, and although not too challenging once you glean how the rules work, strangely addictive with the ability collection and daily dungeons.

Most importantly - neither need an internet connection to be played!
Sean

Post by Sean »

Recently been trying to break out of my comfort zone and try some iOS games on my phone. I'm digging Downwell, but, it's not as addictive as I thought it might be. I think it might be a bit too punishing considering the controls aren't as precise as they should be.
James

Post by James »

Sean wrote:Recently been trying to break out of my comfort zone and try some iOS games on my phone. I'm digging Downwell, but, it's not as addictive as I thought it might be. I think it might be a bit too punishing considering the controls aren't as precise as they should be.
Interesting. I picked up Downwell in the Steam sale. I've yet to try it but will report back on how it controls!