Mobile phone gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
stvnorman

Re: iOS and Android gaming

Post by stvnorman »

Downwell has been my go-to iOS game since my iPad got hit by the incurable Gamecenter glitch and I abandoned Shooty Skies and Pac-Man 256 as a result. I didn't get on with the controls on iPhone but switching to iPad made a big difference for me. It is punishing, but I've found that since I started throwing caution to the wind a bit and going for combos rather than precision, I've racking up some decent descents.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Oh yeah, speaking of punishing, The Piloteer is free this week. Definitely worth a download if you've not played it yet.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

An old favourite of mine, Cause of Death, is finally gone from iOS. The game itself was removed a while ago, you can still download it but the DLC servers are gone, so all the cases I purchased have vanished.

This is the worst thing about digital content.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Lara Croft Go is 80% off on Android right now and has a new tomb update with 26 levels in it. Well worth a buy!
ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 »

Been playing Chameleon Run on Android. Sure it will probably be on iOS too. It's a cool little runner game with some very well designed levels. Really impressed with it. And its a paid for game, around £1.69 I think, so no in-app purchases. It works great on touchscreen but it also has controller support.

I've also started playing Hearthstone which I'm really enjoying even though I probably lose 75% of my matches. Haven't bought any decks yet, just the ones from coins I've earned, so my deck is pretty weak at the minute.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been playing an excellent game on Android the last couple of weeks. It's called Pull Balls.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .pullballs

It's a physics based game where you draw the solution on the screen, and all you have to do is pull the balls off their cords. Starts easy and gets fiendishly difficult later on. I'm on about level 55 of around 160 or so, and it's free and awesome so give it a try. I think you'll like it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

giggle!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Fnar.

EDIT: I was actually alerted to this game by my 10 year old. "Dad, huhuhuhuh, dad look. Dad. Pull Balls. Haha. Dad. Balls. Pull Balls. Dad, look...."

I'll have to introduce you :lol:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

:lol:
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Retro City Rampage DX currently free on iOS.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just spotted Tekken on the Google Play store. Huh, I thought. Not a massive fan of Tekken, but I enjoyed it enough back in the day, let's give it a go.

Just don't.

It looks good. Smooth as butter, but AAAAARGH OH MY GOD WHY DOES EVERY BLOODY MOBILE GAME HAVE TO INCLUDE CARDS AND UPGRADES AND FREE GIFTS AND EVERYTHING ELSE THAT HAS STAINED MOBILE GAMING FOREVER!?

I just wanted a fight. I don't want to collect cards. I don't want to upgrade my fighter with in game currency. I don't want to wait until tomorrow to open a box with a new card in it. I don't want to watch a video for some coins.

I just. Want. A fight.

I hate it. I'm sick of it! Every mobile fighting game is the same. Pick a team to battle with, rest your fighters, they need time to recover. Unlock this outfit. Use these cards for special moves.

It's ruined. How did we let this happen? Everything is ruined. Mobile games are dead to me.

Except the good ones.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I think it’s one developer doing all of them, or at the very least they’re all using exactly the same design.

Even the Skullgirls one uses the exact same game design.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I remember there being a damn good port of Street Fighter 4 on iPhone, which stings even more because we know it can be done properly!
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Damn it Alex. A side effect of resurrecting this thread is that I'm now addicted to pulling on dangling balls.

Apart from some notable exceptions - The Witness, Picross 3D Round 2 - I still believe mobile is the perfect format for developing and playing puzzle games. Every time I browse the store I come across some little parcels of puzzling genius, for ridiculously small amounts of money.

I also think the Google Play store has some depressingly intelligent algorithms behind its "You might also like" section. I can't remember the last time I came away from a store browse without several games downloaded.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

There was a WWE game a few years ago that as Flabyo said, played just the same, but despite a few IAP’s and timers I played that for what must have been 25 hours. I’d deleted the new Tekken game after the first proper fight. All that free-to-play baggage was just too much, and I don’t think I’d even seen the full extent of it. I really don’t mind these mobile monetisation mechanisms, but piling them on top of each other like this just makes everything more complicated than I have the patience for. Which is a shame because I’m also a Tekken fan, but some developers just don’t know when to stop.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

kintaris wrote: February 18th, 2018, 8:19 pm Damn it Alex. A side effect of resurrecting this thread is that I'm now addicted to pulling on dangling balls..
Haha, that game was brilliant. I cleared every level except one in the end set. Tried and tried for over a year, but never managed it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

A few games I've got lately on my Android phone...

The Banner Saga - absolutely brilliant. Inspired by Mat Murray waxing lyrical about it on TCGS, it's really a fantastic turn based strategy game with an interesting story. Loving it.

Alto's Odyssey - released on Android today. I played a little before work, and will be again on my lunch break. Very relaxing and fun.

Gorogoa - been looking forward to this for ages and it's finally been released on Android. Its a premium pay once game (only about £4) but I got it as soon as I saw it, as I've been following the game for a while since Flabyo I think it was mentioned it on here a while back. Looking forward to starting this one.

Scribblenauts Unlimited - it's a Scribblenauts game. You know what you're getting. This seems to be the fullest one I've played yet, plenty to do and a decent structure around the puzzles. It's fun.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just picked up a totally free game on Android called Vampire Falls: Origin.

It's like a full on Baldurs Gate style RPG, and seems a lot of fun so far. It's totally free too, in app purchases for cosmetic items will be coming at some point, but for now, literally free. It looks like the classic Bioware/Black Isle games, and is worth checking out.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

reviving this thread as I'm looking for some recommendations for Android games.

I'm specifically looking for games that I can play in short, easily interruptible (and resumable!) sessions, that will work on a phone (samsung J5 if it matters) and which work offline. As this may also be on public transport, graphics/text that is SFW please and the sound can't be an integral part of the game play (won't always have headphones).

I'm currently working through Picross Luna 2. Unlike several other nonogram/picross games I've tried, this one actually does work on a phone screen or tablet as it has three different input methods that you can swop between depending on the scale of the puzzle. The ads only play once after every 4th puzzle or so (and apparently will go away once 90% of the game is complete ...)

I have previously completed titles like Treasures of Montezuma, OPUS, Monument Valley, Badlands Tomb Raider Go and Colossatron

Another thread mentioned the Google Rewards app which I've started upon but noticed that the credit expires after something like 4 months so I actually need to start looking at the Play store. Don't really care about genre but looking for games that can be played on a phone on a busy train - I can cope with a few ads here and there if its a free game that you want to suggest

Thanks in advance
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

ThirdMan wrote: January 6th, 2019, 12:12 am Holedown
Mini-Metro
Pocket City
Gorogoa
Florence
80 Days
Steve Jackson's Sorcery!
Threes!
Drop7

Those are the best Android games I've played over the past two years. All are paid releases and meet your criteria.

If you're looking for a 'videogamey' game then Holedown is the standout title. Overall, 80 Days is the finest of the bunch. It sits comfortably in my top 10 games of all time although I accept that it won't be to everyone's liking.
Adore most of those. I couldn't get into Drop7 and haven't tried Sorcery, Pocket City or Holedown yet. Will have to give them all a go!