Dust 514

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Dust 514

Post by JaySevenZero »

On the 22nd January, this ambitious and decidedly complex title from CCP goes into open beta. As I've been cautiously optimistic about this game out since it was announced way back in 2009 I'll be certainly be spending some time on it once it's out.

I've been keen to see this title by a number of things; Firstly, the fact that it's linked directly via servers to the massive EVE Online and secondly, that it is also going to be free-to-play with its model being based on micro-transactions instead of an up-front charge or subscription (CCP have been very vocal that it won't become a pay-to-win scenario).

With an enormous amount of customisation and kit upgrades that make the likes of Battlefield 3 pale in comparison, it certainly appears to be something that I could get my teeth into. Whilst the early previews of the closed beta have been a little mixed, but overall positive, I've wondered if some of the negativity was based on the fact that it doesn't really fall into that "quick-to-play" aspect that many console shooters fall into?

Either way, I'll be on it come the 22nd and hopefully since it'll be free to play, there be a few others in here willing to endeavour some time fighting interplanetary wars.
NokkonWud

Re: Dust 514

Post by NokkonWud »

Looking forward to trying it with friends. Went on on my own a few months back and it was a deeply unpleasant experience. Felt off, didn't like the controls and playing on your own can often feel like a chore, with friends and team work it can only be an improvement. Enough to make it a good game? I hope so.
Donk

Post by Donk »

If I were to do an online shooter this would be it, I had my fill of CoD/BF a long time ago. The metagame and customization is something I could lose myself in completely.

Did you see that video from EVE where they were doing orbital bombardment with DUST players in the same chat? Mildly interesting graphics and onscreen action, the voice chat though, hearing from the players sold the game to me.

JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

They've had six months of closed beta in which the game has been tweaked throughout and now it's moving into an open beta and from what it sounds they won't stop making adjustments and (hopefully) improving the experience. Although I'm often seeing folks writing about how the mechanics don't feel quite right I'm still very curious to give it a shot - hell, no excuse not to seeing as it's free.

I also believe that playing together as a team is gonna be vital to the overall enjoyment of this game (as it is with many shooters these days anyway), so if anyone is keen to test the waters with this game feel free to add me to their friends list.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Downloaded this months ago. Spent ages in buggy menu screen trying to find some sort of a game. Nothing. Over the following week i repeated the process, never got into any game. All in all i spent more time downloading it than playing so needless to say its deleted now for some precious HDD space. Not ruling out trying it again though. Its still just in Beta after all.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I played a decent amount of the beta, and, like, Karl, I wasn't too hot on it.

Though, for me, it wasn't the mechanics as much as how it looked, which, IMO, was just really poor looking. However, this was months ago, and, hopefully, by the time it's finally released, they'll have amped it up. Everything was just so brown and drab looking.

The interconnectivity with Eve sounds awesome, but, I don't think that was active while I was playing, so, I didn't really get a full sense of the scope. That's some real ground-breaking shit, and, if they can pull that off, that would be insane.

I'll definitely give it a closer look with this new beta. The game as a whole was somewhat reminiscent of MAG, which I absolutely loved and put more hours in than any other shooter besides CoD4. Really hope the game turns out better with this new beta.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

I saw it briefly at Eurogamer, although I confess I didn't play hands on, it didn't look very impressive at all. However I'm willing to give anything a go (within certain boundaries...) so will probably try it once it goes open beta.
General Aquila

Post by General Aquila »

Played a little bit, I think we need to gather together as a team and have a good go at it. potentially it could be good, just it's a new format of play.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Just had an hour in the beta and I'm quite digging this, hell, it didn't cost anything other than time so there's little to complain about. There's a ton of stuff to get your head around as far as upgrades, unlocks and configuration are concerned but I figure I'll make sense of this stuff over time anyway, in the meantime I've been jumping into random skirmishes against NPCs to get some extra ISK to create a clan, or rather corporation as the game call it.

Based on the handful of games I've played so far (and quite enjoyed too) I can certainly see plenty of potential in it, here's hoping it's here for the long haul.
Donk

Post by Donk »

JaySevenZero wrote: Based on the handful of games I've played so far (and quite enjoyed too) I can certainly see plenty of potential in it, here's hoping it's here for the long haul.
Seeing how they've been running EVE for 10 years, always growing and expanding, DUST has me quite excited since they plan on doing the same thing for DUST: http://www.shacknews.com/article/77489/ ... f-ten-year

I like the concepts and it can only get better.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I went into it yesterday with an open mind but not really knowing what to expect and I found it quite an enjoyable experience and one I'm likely to invest some time into from this point forward.

The game's combat felt more akin to a Halo with its run & gun style of play rather than Battlefield's more precision based combat but the map size was definitely comparable to DICE's shooter. However, don't go expecting Battlefield's visual fidelity, the overall visual aesthetic has a certain blandness, similar to that of the first Mass Effect game's off-world locations. According to that article Donk posted don't go expecting this to always be the case though.
Dust 514 has been in closed beta for well over a year now, which has given CCP time to come to terms with the PS3. According to Laurino, "literally every aspect of the game, from the balance to the actual feel and tuning of the weapons, the look, the graphics" has changed. When grilled about what the single biggest change to the game would be, Brandon Laurino (CCP executive producer) told us that it has to be the graphics - an area CCP is continuing to focus. "With the next release, we've got another whole major upgrade, introducing vegetation into the landscape. It's going to look like a whole new game again."
They also go on to mention having a 10 year plan for Dust (which I presume also means it'll appear on the next gen console too?). I for one, like the sound of this. I'm kinda tired of the current annual or bi-annual release of current shooters that always require fresh investment - having thought for years now that they should keep releasing expansions to build upon a game, easily extending the lifespan of a game beyond what is currently expected.

I feel there will undoubtedly be a percentage of players who will download it, jump into a game and get their ass kicked and then quit it claiming it's not a Battlefield or CoD. However, what I can say with authority is that there are some areas in which this game trounces those two and that being depth. After spending around forty five minutes going through the menus yesterday I'm amazed (and a little intimidated) by the level of upgrading and customisation that you can give, not just your soldier (of which you are allowed up to three separate characters), but also the weapons and skills. There also appears to be some impressive communication stuff in there too, although I'm still trying to get to grips with the set-up, but you can create custom channels for chat which can be allocated to encompass either your team, squad and/or your corporation. The corp. option is supposed to also work for those playing EVE Online on the PC so you can co-ordinate orbital strikes on the opposing team.

I have a concern that because it's free to play that it may not hold much value to some, in that they won't be willing to spend a bit of time to see what it has to offer and dismiss it offhand as a shallow experience (it's honestly anything but). The decision to put this out there for nothing is certainly an intriguing one, but in these economically harsh times, one I have to commend them for. There's something about having a game, despite its console exclusivity, that anyone can try rather than asking people to prioritise a specific purchase in order to take part.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Just listened to an interview with Laurino on the PS Blogcast, and, goddamn, this and Eve are really fascinating experiments.

Completely forgot about the open beta coming out this week, so, I'll download it when I get home and see the improvements. They're claiming it looks a lot better since the closed beta. The visuals were probably my biggest complaint, so, if they're as improved as CCP is claiming, then, I'm back on the hype train.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Sean wrote:Completely forgot about the open beta coming out this week, so, I'll download it when I get home and see the improvements. They're claiming it looks a lot better since the closed beta. The visuals were probably my biggest complaint, so, if they're as improved as CCP is claiming, then, I'm back on the hype train.
It's still nothing compared to the likes of Halo, CoD or Battlefield in terms of visual fidelity but they are saying that the visuals will be improved regularly with updates leading up to its official launch in summer. That said, I like what I played and I'm interested in seeing how this project evolves over the coming months and years.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

I gonna sound like a pc snob now(even though i dont own a gaming rig) but if the graphics are'nt even on a par with PS3 Battlefield 3 then i will hardly bother too much with this. At this stage after watching hundreds of youtube videos of PC BF3 matches, i wince when i play the PS3 version. It seems graphically ugly now. Current gen consoles have run their course, im past ready for next gen machines. Both Dust 514 and BF4 will more than likely be eye poppingly gorgeous on next gen consoles.
As i said in a previous post though i will give Dust another go but its not gonna sway me from BF3. My next big online shooting campaign will be on PS4 with BF4 hopefully.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Haven't played Dust yet, but having just spent £1200 on a new PC rig I'm all about the state of the art graphics.

Saying that though, the three demos of new games I've played on 360 so far this year - DmC, Dead Space 3, MGR all look fantastic.
Really impressed with what devs are getting out of what is now very old hardware.

As for BF3, I'm going to continue with it on PS3 over my new PC for reasons of sociability.
However future game purchases are likely to be PC-biased at least until the next gen consoles turn up.
Pilgr1m

Post by Pilgr1m »

At the end if the day it's FREE! So the only investment is time, this is reaping rewards now as I have unlocked the heavy gunner class. This in turn has levelled the playing field somewhat! Having fun and its costing me nothing, so climb on board nay sayers, lets squad up and have some fun.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Played an hour last night before i went to bed. Jeez, you guys weren't lying when you said it was bland graphically. Unfortunately i dont think i will be bothering with it. There may be an amazing amount of mechanics in the overall game(customization, vehicles and the EVE commander stuff), but the most important thing is the shooting and it just doesnt work well in my opinion. Being a Beta is probably the main reason and its not fair of me to judge it at this stage.
At the end of the day the fact that its free is immaterial. I would rather pay money for a good shooter than get a bad one for free. This model may suit some FPS fans, but not me thanks. May dip back in when the finished game is released, then and only then could i give some constructive criticism.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yeah, I gave it another shot, and while it has improved (you actually aim down sights now!) I wasn't feeling it. The shooting especially felt off. Though, I did like all the preparation stuff. I'll give the full release another chance.

It did, however, make me want to go back to MAG, which, people are still playing, surprisingly. With a little more polish, I think Dust could be a new MAG, which, I would be totally cool with.
Sean

Post by Sean »

So, the official non-beta version is launching today. Anyone gonna give it a go?
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Sean wrote:So, the official non-beta version is launching today. Anyone gonna give it a go?
I think I'll (no pun intended) dust this off at the weekend and see if there has been anything significant in way of changes since the last time I played it.