The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
kappisun

Re: PlayStation Vita

Post by kappisun »

I can second that. Tearaway is simply delightful & I challenge anyone to play it without a big smile on their face
NokkonWud

Re: PlayStation 4

Post by NokkonWud »

Well, there's always a solution.

Mine was just an expensive one I wasn't expecting. In short, brand new 1080p TV. Wayhey.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Indiana747 wrote:I still find it hard to fathom that you played the whole PS3 HD generation on an SD telly. Especially playing multiplayer FPS games where the enemy at a distance is hard enough to see in HD. Man, you are gonna see some difference with the likes of 1080p Battlefield 4 at 60 frames per second. There is a high possibility your eyes may bleed Andy, take care. :P
Yeah, just had a go on Battlefield, Jesus Christ almighty the difference is shocking. For one thing, the ingame text is easily readable. And everything just looks so much better. Should have done it years ago.

Got onto PSN last night, took multiple attempts but got there eventually. Fired up Battlefield, 600mb update, took 5 hours. One huge improvement over PS3 though is that it let's you play single player while it dowloads. Thank fuck for that. Played most of campaign, which is still mediocre, but now looks much better. It's also more stable than the janky PS3 version. Only had one crash, where my bullets stopped doing any damage to enemies. At all. Restarting mission fixed that.

Really like the way they've borrowed the Vita's way of jumping in/out with the PS button. So much faster to go from playing something, to checking other things out. Quite happy with the UI so far.
Thankfully converting my Battlefield 4 stats was dead easy. "Click X to cross over". Again to confirm. Done. All my many unlocks survived intact. Yay.

Better get some sleep I guess :lol:
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

I'm glad everyone is enjoying their consoles. I'm hoping to get one for the holidays perhaps. I'm not really at a point in my life where I have that much disposable income, unfortunately.

Hope to join the party soon!
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

I owe mine to Sarah, a joint Xmas/birthday present and I'm absolutely made up.

Downloaded Resogun, which is bloody brilliant, the fact that it's free makes it the icing on the cake. I'll be damned if I'll ever pay Game's £54/60 per title prices (though Amazon's are mostly £48), I've got plenty to keep me happily busy for quite some time.
So yeah, people that scoff "it's a poor launch choice" are talking out their arse. :lol:
delb2k

Post by delb2k »

One day in and I like the machine very much, it very does what it says on the tin and does most of it very well indeed. For the most part that is fantastic, especially as everything is very easy and very smooth and very quick. Oddly my only disappointment is that it feels quite, well, safe. It only wants to be a game console which feels a little more limited after jumping about apps and snapping things from last week. That is not a bad thing, in truth that is exactly what Sony are aiming for so it is a roaring success in that regard, it is just different.

Both pads are excellent so far which is a huge relief after the last generation. I have a bit of an odd issue where my trigger fingers feel a little too big for the actual triggers on the PS4 pad but that is a minor thing that is less noticeable after playing the games for a little while. The speaker inside the controller is fantastic though, very crisp and clear.

It is a very nice piece of equipment and I am very happy that Sony went and addressed most of the complaints to such a successful degree. It is a perfect platform to build upon.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

To me, a games console is precisely what I wanted.Nothing against the Xbox Obe, don't get me wrong. But I have no interest in watching TV or any of that jazz.Each to their own and all that.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

delb2k wrote:Oddly my only disappointment is that it feels quite, well, safe.
I said exactly this, which is weird, because the stuff I've loved from the Xbox One is the stuff I really didn't think would interest me. I guess you just don't know until you have it and it's gone again!

My only real disappointments with PS4 are the lack of download queuing, which is a ridiculously basic oversight, but has a huge impact on my very slow Internet connection (3mb/0.6mb) and the audio codec for the PS4 is nowhere near crisp enough. It's nice to finally have it, but it's not even as clear as the 360's, let alone the massive improvement they made for the Xbox One. Thankfully both these issues are software related and can be updated. I'm sure the former will come, a prey the second will, but I'm not banking on it!

Other than that I am for the most part, really liking it. Still keep forgetting to sync trophies mind (why do we *still* have to sync them on a system built from the ground up!?) and after my PS4 was playing up and I formatted it I lost some and had to re-earn them.

Can't wait to see all the activity stuff running!
delb2k

Post by delb2k »

AndyKurosaki wrote:To me, a games console is precisely what I wanted.Nothing against the Xbox Obe, don't get me wrong. But I have no interest in watching TV or any of that jazz.Each to their own and all that.
Exactly, I think to be honest there are a lot of people that just want a pure games machine and Sony have provided something that does that quite happily. As you say each to thier own and no ones desires for a new console are invalid in these circumstance.
NokkonWud wrote:I said exactly this, which is weird, because the stuff I've loved from the Xbox One is the stuff I really didn't think would interest me. I guess you just don't know until you have it and it's gone again!
It is a catch 22 in that people do not always know what they want but they do know what they do not like the sound of. Like you there are bits I do miss and ease of use actions I would love them to incorparate.

Main thing is people are really happy with the purchase they have :)
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

Did anyone get the PlayStation 4 Camera? Any first impressions you'd like to share?
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Yeah I got it with my bundle. It's really small, I was expecting something Kinect size but it's nowhere near that. Which is good, makes it easier to find a place to put it. Not had much chance to use the Playroom yet, been so busy downloading Resogun and installing 700mb patches for COD and Battlefield. Should get chance to properly test it after work tomorrow.

It's strange they took out Download Queing. They've also made it that you can't check your Trophies offline at all anymore, you need to be online.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

InsrtCoins wrote:Did anyone get the PlayStation 4 Camera? Any first impressions you'd like to share?
It's small and a little too light (in my case the cable pulls the camera around as a result, so I'm forever squaring it up again.)

The quality is fine, it's 720p so it's not as good picture wise as Kinect 2.0, nor is the microphone as clear.

That said it serves its purpose well, it works, Playroom is fun and I hope more games support it. It does pick up the controllers light bar very well.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Found a way to upload the PS4 footage to Facebook which then I download on my PC and upload to YouTube. It's decent quality in 720p's (The bit rate, not the driving) ;)

For those interested the program I found is called Freemake. Be careful though, it'll try and install a load of nonsense addons so untick those boxes!

Basically doing all this research now means that if I get it down, I can in theory record Quick Rinses from my PS4! Now THAT is exciting to me.
Leg of Time

Post by Leg of Time »

Really liking the PS4 so far! Glad I did pick one up in the end (wasn't going to collect my pre-order so went in yesterday to cancel but coupled with the time it took to get there and the fantastic staff at GAME decided to say 'fuck it' and pick it up)...

The UI is so much better than PS3! Really liking the PS button back to XMB, especially as it happens so quickly, and pad is great! :)
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Picked up Tearaway yesterday largely to console myself with all the PS4 joys I've been reading and...

IT'S AMAZING

Absolutely love it. Brimming from ear to ear every second of it so far.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

dezm0nd wrote:Basically doing all this research now means that if I get it down, I can in theory record Quick Rinses from my PS4! Now THAT is exciting to me.
I wish it recorded at a higher quality on Xbox One because the editing stuff on there is good. Picture in picture and commentaries are available on that, yet the output quality (or SkyDrive) are awful.

Look forward to some QR stuff.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Leg of Time wrote:Really liking the PS4 so far! Glad I did pick one up in the end (wasn't going to collect my pre-order so went in yesterday to cancel but coupled with the time it took to get there and the fantastic staff at GAME decided to say 'fuck it' and pick it up)...
It was a massive, and awesome, surprise to see you pop online into the Killzone game last night! Glad to see you as an owner of what is looking to be a fantastic console already.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Amount of scalpers trying to sell PS4's for stupid prices :o

But I love it personally. Killzone plays like a dream./
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Completed it.

What an incredible console-defining experience. Stunning use of the Vita from start to finish, unique in a very real sense. I feel like bursting into tears now it's all over.
Leg of Time

Post by Leg of Time »

NokkonWud wrote:
Leg of Time wrote:Really liking the PS4 so far! Glad I did pick one up in the end (wasn't going to collect my pre-order so went in yesterday to cancel but coupled with the time it took to get there and the fantastic staff at GAME decided to say 'fuck it' and pick it up)...
It was a massive, and awesome, surprise to see you pop online into the Killzone game last night! Glad to see you as an owner of what is looking to be a fantastic console already.
Cheers :)

It was great to get back into some online gaming (with some excellent people), lost the impetus over the last few months. New console has definitely helped! :D