The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: PlayStation Vita

Post by Alex79 »

Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 are brilliant on the Vita. Also the God Of War games are great if you're after some AAA stuff.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

What about tearaway?
Enjoyable from start to finish.

If you're after a JRPG ahve you though about picking up one of the Final Fantasy games?
I've also read repeatedly that persona golden is good on the vita.
Tleprie

Post by Tleprie »

I played through Tearaway a few months ago, I have been thinking about getting Final Fantasy X & X-2. I put about 30 hours into P4G, but it just lost its appeal for me.
jbtheskater

Post by jbtheskater »

I would second the MGS HD collection - it's a sterling version on the Vita.

Best game available for the Vita so far as I am concerned is Castlevania SoTN. I know, it's not a new game, and I'm re-treading old ground, but man alive, having that game in your pocket to play at any time is just so good!

In terms of older games, the original Silent Hill and Resident Evil play well on the Vita if you fancy a nostalgia hit.
Tleprie

Post by Tleprie »

I bought the MGS collection. Never played a MGS game before, but I look forward to giving it a go.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

There's always MGS1 and Peace Walker too on Vita. I'd play #1 first.
jbtheskater

Post by jbtheskater »

Alex has a good point - if you haven't played any of them yet, pick up MGS1 from the PSOne classics in the PS Store. I would love to be playing that now for the first time!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've only ever played the first game - although I've played it loads of times. I'm playing through the entire main series this year though - I'm up to "The End" in MGS3 at the moment and loving the games!
Tleprie

Post by Tleprie »

Well I tried playing MGS2, but just couldn't get into it, the controls felt too clunky for me. Luckily I got a physical copy so I was able to return it, picked up Child of Light instead, and am enjoying it quite a lot. I may go back for MGS some other time.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Could anyone do me a favour? If anyone has a Vita could they see if Titan Souls is still on the Vita store (on the actual Vita console). It's vanished from the store on mine. I've asked on Twitter but the devs haven't replied. Just wondered if it's a bug or if its been pulled as I planned to buy it soon as I'm paid :(
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Not showing up for me via search either. Tried the PSN/SEN website?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Cheers Leon - it appears to have been completely pulled from Vita. Still available on PS4 and PS3. I can't find any explanation for it.

I've been playing Ys: The Oath In Felghana for the last couple of days. It's a PSP game, only £2.40 on the store at the moment and its absolutely brilliant! I love it. Its like a cross between (and I hate making lazy comparisons but it's so easy) God Of War, Dark Souls and old 16bit JPGs. It's very much an ACTION!!!-RPG-Lite. Lots of hard as nails bosses, fun exploration and hugely satisfying (if a little simple) combat. Seriously if anyone is looking for something a little different to play on their Vita right grab this. All the Ys PSP games are in the sale. I grabbed this along with Ys Seven on Wednesday.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

found a link to the cross buy page
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/ ... EUCROSSBUY
can you get it from there, then queue it to download to your vita?
deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc »

Been playing Sound Shapes as I got it for cheap on a PSN sale. Loving it. I've be trying to create levels but I suck at it.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I've been trying out some Super Stardust Delta on my Vita. Now that I've tuned into the pace of it I'm really enjoying it, but I do find it quite a difficult game!

I have no idea how to beat the second planet boss at the moment. Anyone played it? Got any tips!?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm loving Borderlands 2 on Vita. It's not without its irks, crashes more than it should and it's a bit stuttery in menus, but the much complained about controls are fine with a little tweaking in the button config. I never really 'got' Borderlands till now, but I've always said imagine a good open world game on Vita, it would be great. And it is! Now if someone could just port Skyrim or even Oblivion that would make my day! Now there's a world I'd love to have in my pocket.
fieldy

Post by fieldy »

just downloaded TXK and luftrausers for my Vita, they've been on my wishlist for some time now and their ideal to dip in and out of as a break from fire emblem :D really enjoying TxK the music reminds me of my youth :lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Finished Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate last night. It's probably one of my biggest gaming disappointments in memory. On paper it sounded so perfect. Batman - check. Metroidvania type game - check. On the Vita - check! Three for three. What I got was a complete waste of what should have been amazing. The level design is truly terrible, coupled with an infuriatingly difficult to use map and endless backtracking - and once you've killed enemies they stay dead so any threat in the game vanishes long, long before the end. I would not have been able to finish this game without using a walkthrough, which once accessed stayed open and I pretty much followed it to the letter after about the first 20% of the game. Boring, easy boss fights, overuse of certain gadgets used in unimaginative ways, completely stripped down combat - it's hard to find anything to like about this game. At a push, I might admit the cut scenes were kind of stylish, but even they lacked any kind of interesting story. And one of the worst parts, when I finally thought I'd beaten the game you're sent on an annoying run around the entire map to defuse some bombs, added seemingly for nothing more than to add an extra 30 minutes on to the end of the game. Genuinely one of the most tedious things I've ever forced myself to sit through, and hugely disappointing. Could not recommend to even the most ardent Bat-fan (ie. me). Avoid at all costs!!
deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc »

I played Blackgate too. I started it twice from the beginning because I would get to a point where it seemed unrealistic to go all the way back. It's one thing if I have to go into a vent to go to the next room to get an item and back again. But it was like they had you go into another room then into a sewer to get a key to a room 10 screens back to get the item you need. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but it damn sure felt like that. So tedious. I too used google and kept it open the whole time.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

No you're spot on, by the end of the game you're constantly forced to traverse the entire stupid map to find things to progress. It's awful!