The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Alex79 »

Just Cause 3 is in the sale this weekend on the PSN store. I came very close to buying it but didn't for whatever reason. If you're thinking of getting it, you may want to take a look at this first!

http://www.appy-gamer.com/Web/ArticleWe ... urce=drive
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Rise Of The Tombraider coming to PS4 on 11th October! With all DLC and an extra level with VR support. Sweet.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Well, they've hacked the Vita. Not just the PSP part, full access with native apps. They've got a port of Doom running and various emulators. Just tried it myself and played some SNES games. Works great. It's a really easy hack too, you literally visit a website on the Vita browser and press install, much like a similar iOS hack a few years back. The main concern now is whether it will take off on a large scale and piracy will become the final nail in the coffin. I hope not, because hacking and homebrew should not always equate to piracy.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

I'd argue the system is near enough dead already, it isn't stopping me from playing it though.

Pretty sure we will see some overclocking going on so say hello to your new favourite emulation device :)

And yep, all good here too!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

You done it already? I've only tried the SNES emulator so far. FYI, I've got the best results from locking the frame rate to 60, turning off VSync, and setting the frame skip to 0, oh and putting the clock speed at 400 something rather than the default 300 something.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm really, really hoping for a decent N64 emu at some point.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Psp did it without sound at a fair speed but I think we'll be safe with this upgrade. Just wondering if a ps tv can still be found on the cheap.

Edit: They are working mega fast, already a native resolution quake port running at a playable speed even without any gpu optimisation.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

If you have an Android phone, you can use Turbo FTP to transfer files to your Vita without the hassle of having to use a PC. This was the only Android client I could get working out of the 3 or 4 I tried.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rbo.client

The Sega Master System and Genesis emulators work flawlessly - other than the Genesis one doesn't support save states yet which is kind of essential, but hopefully they'll fix that soon as all the others do. Cannon Fodder on my Vita looks awesome!
Lego Solo

Post by Lego Solo »

I've tried this this morning. Got it all downloaded to the vita but I have no idea how to get games on to it? I'm a complete novice to all this so if anyone can give me some pointers that would be grand.
Lego Solo

Post by Lego Solo »

Oh and I'd love to play cannon fodder on my vita. Not played that since the Amiga days.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Sure man, I'll drop you some info later unless someone else beats me to it.

So... here you go:

1. open up your molecule app and hit select, doing so makes your vita open to incoming connections and also displays the ip to connect to it on

2. get filezilla or whatever to transfer by ftp and put in that ip, after where the colon appears this will be the port number

3. find out which is your memory card folder, you'll usually find your photos on there so for me it's "ux0:", copy your "*.vpk" file over (ie. megadrive installer file)

4. Drop the remote connection by pressing select again and navigate to the folder you dropped the file and install by pressing X

Edit: Oops, may need to boot each emulator first to establish the folders for the next step

5. Now you want to add some games, the app in this case was installed to uX0:/data/GenesisPlusGXVita so navigate there (you need to have pressed select on the vita again to make it accessible to copy files across once again) and drop a rom in (zipped)

6. Once you back out to the home menu you'll find the bubble for the emulator, load it up and find that rom et voila, your journey has started

Here are a few pics to show you what you should be looking at:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskAWqn9M

Here's the list of showcase stuff if you want to play about:
https://henkaku.xyz/showcase/
Lego Solo

Post by Lego Solo »

Awesome cheers dude. My vita just sits there collecting dust. Would be awesome to use it for some proper retro gaming.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Yeah, feel free to drop me a message if you get stuck. Most likely issue will be when and when not to press select on the vita in the molecule app.
Lego Solo

Post by Lego Solo »

That's where I was going wrong. I was getting a connection to FileZilla and then it was dropping because I was backing out of that screen on the vita. Cheers I'll give this a go when I get home.
Lego Solo

Post by Lego Solo »

All those in the showcase are the emulators right? You then add the games to then be able to play, have I got that right? Sorry I'm so new at this.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Yep, just try the *.vpk files for now, gba likes zipped files but snes likes extracted files
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Tried this earlier, was initially really excited as the Vita is easily the best handheld platform hardware-wise and has the best screen, but the excitement has certainly cooled.

SNES is a bit pants, reminds me of the PSP emulation - randomly speeded up music, doesn't handle Mode 7 particularly well. You're still better off using Android hardware / emulators for SNES on the go. Not sure about the other stuff, but to be honest until there's a better option than having to go to that site and redoing the hack every time you turn off your Vita, I'm probably not gonna bother with it at the moment. It's hopefully a door to better things though.
Lego Solo

Post by Lego Solo »

Cheers dude its working fine. Gonna have so much fun with this and its given my Vita a new lease of life.
Lego Solo

Post by Lego Solo »

Alex79uk wrote:If you have an Android phone, you can use Turbo FTP to transfer files to your Vita without the hassle of having to use a PC. This was the only Android client I could get working out of the 3 or 4 I tried.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rbo.client

The Sega Master System and Genesis emulators work flawlessly - other than the Genesis one doesn't support save states yet which is kind of essential, but hopefully they'll fix that soon as all the others do. Cannon Fodder on my Vita looks awesome!
So how did you get cannon fodder to work? Haven't played that since the 90s
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The Mega Drive version I assume.

Even if there was/is an Amiga emulator the 'Miggy version was mouse only which would make it more of a challenge to play on a Vita.