The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Suits »

I bought Streets of Rage 2 on the PlayStation store on my phone app, thinking I'd be able to play it on my PS4.

Nope. WTF its 2016.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

No, unfortunately PS4 isn't backwards compatible with any PS3 releases.

TBH that PS3 version of SoR2 that you've bought is a little bit of a crappy emulation anyway, you're far better off with either of the M2 versions on 360 or 3DS.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Suits wrote:I bought Streets of Rage 2 on the PlayStation store on my phone app, thinking I'd be able to play it on my PS4.

Nope. WTF its 2016.
Yep, mad isn't it. Sadly while the PS4 is a fantastic console in isolation, the online infrastructure behind it, including anything to do with cross platform compatibility even for simple digital games like SoR2, is the same old creaking mess it's always been. Sony also invested so much money in Gaikai/PS Now, that they've got no interest in developing an Xbox-style backwards compatible system any time soon. Given how successful PS4 has been though and what Microsoft's doing I'd wager we'll eventually get a PS5 that's backwards compatible with everything on PS4, but I think all our PS3 purchases will likely be stranded on that platform for good.

Having said all that Xbox ain't perfect either - that superior 360 port Leon mentions isn't compatible with Xbox One yet (SoR1 is but not 2!)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

That's not right SG; the M2 360 trilogy (SEGA Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage) is absolutely backwards compatible and playable on XO.

The only release in that series that isn't is the Toe Jam & Earl double pack.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I already have the SoR2 X360 version and it is class, I just don't have a 360 hooked up anymore and like has already been mentioned, it's not BC yet :( .

I have a mate coming down for the weekend and we were going to punch out a session on SoR2, in my foolish mind I thought getting it on the PS would work but alas, it does not.

Might have to bust out the actual Mega Drive and a few pads :lol: .
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

360 SoR trilogy is BC!

Suits

Post by Suits »

No way ?!?! I must have missed that !!

I'm sure its not in my list though.........
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I think perhaps you're thinking of the old solo version, by Backbone Entertainment (which is much the same as the PS3 version you wanted to play on PS4).
This is the M2 trilogy pack and is - imo - well, well worth shelling out for if you don't already have it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yep, that's it exactly. I have the solo version one by Backbone - which I thought was a solid port TBH.

Sold and sold, I'am all over this M2 pack though and for only £6.75 it's cheaper than two pints so is excellent value.

Which version of SoR3 is it, the proper gnarly Japanese one or the water down vague US release ?

Ah, wicked I'm so stoked this is on there !!!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The trilogy pack has all three ROMs of each version on, including the slow, bordered PAL ports - if you really want to play those!

I also thoroughly recommend the others in the series that you can see in my photo up there:

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (MD) / Super Hang-On (AC) / Super (aka Revenge of) Shinobi (MD)
Golden Axe (AC) / Golden Axe II (MD) / Golden Axe III (MD)
Wonder Boy in Monster Land (AC) / Wonder Boy in Monster World (MD) / Monster World IV (MD)

All relevant ROM variations are included for all games.
:)

NB: The SVC: Toe Jam & Earl double pack is not BC as yet!

P.S.: These SEGA Vintage Collections are also available on PS3.
8-)
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

I've never been more happy to be entirely wrong! ;)

I was looking at the BC list and just saw 'Sega Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage' which I thought was just the single first game, forgetting that they did that triple pack. Combine that with the fact that I own the 2007 solo 360 release of SoR2 which doesn't show up on my Xbox One (obviously because that version isn't backwards compatible!) and you see where the confusion came from :roll:

Going to have to buy that collection then aren't I!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Anyone played the Nioh demo? I just spent an hour with it and it's really quite enjoyable. It's borrows a hell of a lot from Dark Souls - other than its square for attack and I KEEP pressing R1 >_< Seems like it might be good anyway. A lot more emphasis on attacking rather than defending, and it's obviously not as good as Dark Souls, but one to keep an eye on for sure.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

I havent given the new demo a try yet,but I will say that my game of the year so far is the Nioh alpha demo XD,I honestly think the combat system leaves dark souls in the dust and that's saying quite alot.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Todinho wrote:I honestly think the combat system leaves dark souls in the dust and that's saying quite alot.
Really!? I don't know. Difficult to assess really having played 200+ hours of Dark Souls games and only an hour of this, but I couldn't find much point swapping between stances, and it really irritated me that for a game that so badly wants to be Dark Souls Samurai Edition that it moved attacks to the face buttons. I got killed at least 4 or 5 times because of hitting the wrong button haha. I'm definitely interested in the full game, but the opening area here was a bit generic.

Loved the idea of fighting players that had died though and couldn't actually work out if it was AI controlling them or real people and there was a way to 'lie in wait' so to speak, as a chance to give you your life back (and if that's not a feature, I've just invented it and it's brilliant, even if I do say so myself haha). Seemed a bit overly complicated compared to Souls as well, even just the menu systems. And not being allowed to quick swap weapons isn't good - you can assign items to D-pad shortcuts but not weapons, WTF?

It's not fair I suppose to keep comparing it to Dark Souls, but when you make a game so similar it's inevitable.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Dont worry if you keep playing the demo you will realize that changing stances is not only usefull but necessary also I dont know if it's in this build(and it really should be because I loved it) but the stamina management and regain system is amazing you have not only to manage your stamina but the enemies stamina as well not to mention that you can unlock techniques and moves for the different weapon types you use the last thing that jumped to me is that since individual enemies can kill you very easily and you need to study them very carefully it really gave me the vibe of playing demon souls for the first time once again because nowadays I can just right through most DS mobs,now on everything else I think Dark souls is clearly superior but ont he combat alone I think Nioh is an evolution on the formula.

Here's a video of the combat at it's best toe xemplify what I was saying :
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks Todinho, that video almost looks like a combination of Dark Souls and something like God Of War or Bayonetta, certainly one to keep an eye on.

I played a bit of the Titanfall 2 pre-alpha last night. Having never played the first game I found it very enjoyable. I only played 4 rounds, and I know it takes ages to get anywhere in online shooters like this, but what I played seemed great. I shouldn't think I'll get the full game simply due to not having the time to invest in a game like this, but I wish I did - it was a lot of fun, even if I didn't really know what I was doing most of the time.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

A quick question - the headphone socket on the Dual Shock 4 pad - does it receive high quality audio? I tried it and it sounded not that great, but then again I was only using the crappy in ear headphones that came with my phone. If I plugged decent quality ones in there would it sound great, or does the pad only really receive lower quality audio (mainly for the chat)? Thanks!
Craig

Post by Craig »

Really want to play Nioh just because one of the stages, the Dazaifu temple, is 30 minutes away from where I live. Far fewer monsters in real life though.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

@Alex

It sounds a bit poor to me, regardless. Same with the Wii U gamepad but I can't even use my decent headphones with that as no optical. I'd genuinely recommend the Astro A50 if you find them at a decent price. I got the last set at Argos (PS3 gen model, identical to PS4 version except for colour!) and they knocked over a hundred quid off. Still not giving them away but for 100, they're literally a game changer, you get a superb sense of surround sound. Aside from FPS and the like, and BF4 is astonishing, the crack and whistle of gunfire, things like Bloodborne come alive in a really dreadful way, the sound stage is full of subtly creeping and crawling and crackling and whimpering. It's really a great set of headphones.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

They sound great - what connector do they have on the end? Like where do you plug them in, I mean.