The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Flabyo »

Arc Sys basically own the ‘3d models made to look and animate like 2d anime’ space now. Just look at this thing:

No idea if it’ll release outside Japan (it’s a fighting game spin off of a Japanese mobile game) but it’s so so pretty.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Damn, that is pretty!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

On the topic of Granblue's entry in to the console market, they also showed some more footage of the Platinum RPG they're working on, at the same event they announced that fighting game. And holy hell does it look good. This game keeps blowing me away when they show it. Somehow it's got me excited in a way that very rarely happens at all for me these days when it comes to games.

I might even import it when it comes out in Japan. They have confirmed it's getting an English localisation already, and seem to be gesturing towards it getting a global release, but that hasn't been officially announced yet. But if we end up having to wait ages for it to come out over here, and they already have the English localisation in the JP release, then I'm definitely going to pick that version up. Really want to get my hands on this one.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

(Oh, and this is the reason why everything’s gone quiet on the Persona 5 fighting game, they’ve shifted dev to this for the time being)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

PS+ for January 2019:

Steep (PS4)
Portal Knights (PS4)
Zone of the Enders HD Collection (PS3)
Amplitude (PS3)
Fallen Legion: Flames of Rebellion (PS Vita & PS4)
Super Mutant Alien Assault (PS Vita)

Nothing that interests me there, so I'll still not be resubscribing. Portal Knights seems well liked though, if that's your thing, and I know ZoE collection will go down well in some quarters. Kind of wish that was for PS4 as I've always been interested in the games but not played one before and don't really want to have to sit upstairs to play them on what is now essentially a Netflix and Sky Go box for the bedroom!
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: December 13th, 2018, 10:57 pm
KissMammal wrote: December 13th, 2018, 10:24 pm...I feel like there's a singular appeal to these mini consoles that's hard to put my finger on, but I think its a combination of convenience, nostalgia and the aesthetics of the thing...
That's kinda why I'm hanging onto my PS1 Classic too, as I totally get that "appeal" too.

In context, it will go into my collection along with my Virtual Boy (another iffy bit of hardware/software that I love anyway), the Shonen 50th anniversary gold Famicom (the box it comes in certainly draws your attention, and damn, those controllers are small), and my Taito Jet de Go! Flightcontroller (I know it has very limited use... but look at it! It's great!).

I'm not going to explain/excuse my position regarding the PS1 Classic (I likes what I likes) - in a nutshell, it comes up short, and the already-available-alternatives are superior... but I kinda like the misfits and failures. :D
I don't know what to make of these 'classic/mini' consoles. They look great, they connect with HDMI which is great, but the problem is the games. If all that can be played on them is a small selection of built in titles and there's no option to download or add new games or play the original carts or discs I don't see the point really... just get an original console.

I considered the PS1 classic but it's the games. No Ridge Racer, no Wipeout = no buy. Only about 5/20 I would want to play or have in my game collection.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

My turnoffs on the PS1 classic are the same as every one else’s:
PAL versions
No dual shock

I understand why no dual shock for cost purposes but the PAL versions make no sense to me.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It’s down to the hardware they’ve used, it can’t run the emulator fast enough to properly run the NTSC versions of things. Amusingly, it’s a *less* powerful machine than the SNES mini, which can be reflashed to run a ps1 emulator that does a better job...
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I like my PS1 Classic, but in no way would I recommend it to others. My favourite PS1 is my PS3, with lots of different PlayStation network accounts for different regions, followed by my Japanese PS1, my PS Vita, PSP... and, really, my PS1 Classic is more a historical record of corporate hubris: an example of wanting the same results (as the NES/SNES mini's) without doing the effort required to achieve that.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Flabyo wrote: December 29th, 2018, 4:20 pm It’s down to the hardware they’ve used, it can’t run the emulator fast enough to properly run the NTSC versions of things. Amusingly, it’s a *less* powerful machine than the SNES mini, which can be reflashed to run a ps1 emulator that does a better job...
That’s interesting. I wonder how these choices were made that led to this product.
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

I think the worst 'console' ever released was the PS Vita TV.

Hardly any games even worked with it, it was pretty useless. Almost every game I wanted to play with it was incompatible.

One of the most disappointing things ever.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

rob25X wrote: December 30th, 2018, 1:16 pm I think the worst 'console' ever released was the PS Vita TV.

Hardly any games even worked with it, it was pretty useless. Almost every game I wanted to play with it was incompatible.

One of the most disappointing things ever.
Haha funny you say that as I just bought one. Their value is rising on eBay exponentially and I figure if it’s great I keep it but if I sell it I might make a few bob.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've always had my eye out for a cheap one simply as a dedicated PS1 and remote play machine for the bedroom.

Rob - genuinely interested if you're selling one?

EDIT: Jeeeeeeesus! Last time I looked they were going for under thirty quid!!! Well forget about that then, Google suggests they're going for a ton and a half at the moment!
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

Alex79uk wrote: December 30th, 2018, 2:10 pm I've always had my eye out for a cheap one simply as a dedicated PS1 and remote play machine for the bedroom.

Rob - genuinely interested if you're selling one?

EDIT: Jeeeeeeesus! Last time I looked they were going for under thirty quid!!! Well forget about that then, Google suggests they're going for a ton and a half at the moment!
I sold it about 3 years ago for £30 or something like that. I remember playing one game on it, Joe Danger 2: The Movie... very fun game indeed. :)

If you use it for at least a few games it might be worth picking up. Many games have problems with Vita functions though.

Here is a list of compatible games if you're interested in knowing what works.

http://www.vitaplayer.co.uk/list-of-pla ... ble-games/
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I downloaded the R-Play app after hearing about it on the computer game show and would heartily recommend it.

It’s ludicrously brilliant when used on an iPad and you can easily play on a dual shock if near your PS4 or using a MFI controller if out and about. There’s barely any latency and it seems far more reliable than the vita remote play app which seems odd. It’s 12.99 for the year so may not be worth it for some but Apple generally make good on any refund requests if it doesn’t work well for you.

Anyway it’s revolutionised my gaming in the sense that my switch, WiiU and PS4 now all don’t necessitate the tv.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

PS+ for Feb 2019:

Hitman: The Complete First Season (PS4)
For Honor (PS4)
Divekick (PS3, PS Vita)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
Gunhouse (PS4, PS Vita)
Rogue Aces (PS4, PS Vita)

Last month for PS3 and Vita.

Can't argue with the PS4 offerings. My question is whether PS+ would let me download the game, considering I already own the intro pack and Sapienza, or, whether, as it did when I tried to purchase the full game recently, it'll fuck up and tell me I can't have it as I already own the game. Grrrrrrr.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Pretty limp way for the Vita to exit, they could have given us a 'big' game. Hasn't Divekick been on PS Plus before?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I don’t think so.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

hazeredmist wrote: January 30th, 2019, 5:50 pm Pretty limp way for the Vita to exit, they could have given us a 'big' game. Hasn't Divekick been on PS Plus before?
You're probably thinking of Kickbeat.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've got a question, which is probably stupid, but...

There are always PS4 humble bundles that look good, that you can't get in the UK because its always US only. If I made a US account on PSN, could I then buy the humble bundles and play the games?