The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 8th, 2019, 1:00 am
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: March 8th, 2019, 12:14 am 10 hours is crazy!!!
PS4 firmware + 3 GB day 1 patch + 8 GB Deluxe DLC + Rocket League 700 MB patch inviting itself to the party + router having a bad day = malcontent KSub.

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: March 8th, 2019, 12:14 am Is 10 hours enough time to play through the previous 4 games?!? ;) :D
Dunno, but it's enough to goof around a little in Bloody Palace and get some important real life stuff done for once! :lol:

Spoiler: show
Game is dope, so... forgive and forget.
DMC 5 has been getting some pretty positive reviews so far... glad it's all come together!
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

Would anyone be able to tell me about the PSN ID and region change situation?

I know Sony (after 8 years of being asked) finally implemented the feature as a beta or something on the PS4, but is it actually an option yet or not?

Thanks if anyone knows anything about this.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm not sure you can actually do it yet.
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

Alex79uk wrote: March 8th, 2019, 7:33 pm I'm not sure you can actually do it yet.
I do hope they sort it out eventually. When they do they can rake in easy money at £8 a time or whatever.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The Surge and Conan Exiles are April's PS+ games.

I mean, they're taking the piss now. I'm disappointed with this service.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’ve not had PS+ for over a year now.

Not once have I thought I’ve needed it.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Alex79uk wrote: March 27th, 2019, 5:53 pm The Surge and Conan Exiles are April's PS+ games.

I mean, they're taking the piss now. I'm disappointed with this service.
The Surge is really good!

Conan is quite good within its niche. Admittedly it’s a fairly niche niche.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

The Surge’s opening cinematic is delightful, I’d advise anyone on the fence to give it a look. Sound up please :D

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm definitely going to play The Surge, but it's just so poor compared to the service we had 2-3 years ago.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

See, my main concern with dropping to two games per month, is that we'll miss out on all those little underappreciated indie games we used to get. Games like Flame Over or Neon Chrome that I wouldn't have looked twice at but ended up playing the hell out of them because they were there and free. Two games a month means they'll have to be seen to be giving people value for money and will concentrate on 'bigger' games, when I used to love all the little smaller games we used to get. Now I'm a big hypocrite, because I'd be the first to moan if we just got two little indie games one month, so there's really no win for Sony at this point. I just can't fathom their reasoning behind it. Even Games With Gold is four games a month, and it's cheaper!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I agree wholeheartedly.
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

Suits wrote: March 27th, 2019, 7:41 pm I’ve not had PS+ for over a year now.

Not once have I thought I’ve needed it.
When PS+ first started I thought it was great but soon began to hate it.

I went from all my gaming years playing what I wanted, to playing whatever rubbish was on PS+. After too many broken and terrible excuses for games (OlliOlli on PS4 for example) I decided to go back to my PS3 without + and never regretted it. Better to put £5 a month or whatever towards games you actually want and other things.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ThirdMan wrote: March 28th, 2019, 3:49 pm The faux outage every month strikes me as faintly ridiculous.
Oh make no mistake, there's no faux outrage from me. Im genuinely angry they slashed the service whilst increasing the price.

PS+ is the games for me. I very rarely play online, so I'm almost the exact opposite in that I pay for the games and the online is a bonus. I just look at what the service used to be, and I'm disappointed.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

In all the years I've used PS+, I've only added 18 free games to my library, of which I've downloaded 7 and played a grand total of 3. I'm not a fan of subscription or rental services in general - I know they can be a real money saver for some people but they rub against my natural way of enjoying and archiving content. The main reason I purchased PS+ was because of the online multiplayer functionality, especially for Overwatch. I haven't played any online multiplayer competitively in years and last year's renewal was a waste of money in retrospect. My current subscription expires in May and I have no intention of renewing it at the moment. Maybe when my PS3 eventually breaks down and I'll need to regain my save files that Sony will kindly hold hostage on their server.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I think it massively depends on when you joined ps plus as to your perspective. Early adopters tend to view it differently to those who jumped on with ps4 for the online multiplayer.

I suspect Rob and Alex were more the former. I would agree that the service has massively dipped in that there used to be some old AAA, a AA and a mixture of indie titles each month. Now it’s essentially B tier games which invariably a lot of people invested in the medium have already bought.

My view is that ps plus is a buffet. There used to a salad bar, a carvery section and drinks were free. Now the drinks cost money and theres no salad bar and the meat has been sitting out a bit too long and really isn’t worth the money. Also it’s frequently turkey. You eat it if you’re hungry and because it’s there but you wouldn’t choose it. You wouldn’t consciously pay for it aside from that one time each year where you are* obiliged to.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Simonsloth wrote: March 29th, 2019, 9:43 pm Also it’s frequently turkey. You eat it if you’re hungry and because it’s there but you wouldn’t choose it. You wouldn’t consciously pay for it aside from that one time each year where you are* obiliged to.
I had carvery turkey and ham for my lunch yesterday :x

On the other hand, I will be canceling ps+ as soon as this term is up. I’m on a buy-less-games buzz this year though, so I’m happy to give it a chance till Oct. Previously I’ve always already owned any game I fancied on ps+
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Excellent analogy. I'd only add that you've also been seated near the toilets. I used to rave about PS+ but they either got greedy or decided it just wasn't worth the investment (which amounts to the same thing). That said, the GwG stuff is also completely forgettable. I genuinely get more out of the Nintendo Online NES additions, which is saying very little.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Chopper wrote: March 30th, 2019, 10:30 am
Simonsloth wrote: March 29th, 2019, 9:43 pm Also it’s frequently turkey. You eat it if you’re hungry and because it’s there but you wouldn’t choose it. You wouldn’t consciously pay for it aside from that one time each year where you are* obiliged to.
I had carvery turkey and ham for my lunch yesterday :x

On the other hand, I will be canceling ps+ as soon as this term is up. I’m on a buy-less-games buzz this year though, so I’m happy to give it a chance till Oct. Previously I’ve always already owned any game I fancied on ps+
Haha but you were there for the ham right? ;)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Sony delivers HUGE BLOW to gamers:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gaming ... etwork/amp

Seriously though, The Daily Star gaming coverage is just utterly disgusting, total clickbait and they should be ashamed of themselves. Is this what they went to journalism school for? I don't know why it always comes up on my Google home page, I can't find a way to block it, but every day some utter, utter trash from the Daily Star finds its way to my screen.

They're a joke.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Man, it is such a chore going back to my PS4 from using my Switch / handhelds to play what feels like any physical game I acquire.

My friend has kindly lent me Doom which I've fancied for a while, and would like to play as part of the forthcoming C&R pod. I fire it up last night - first thing I'm greeted with is a 34GB patch to download, and the immediate news I won't be playing it in my fairly small gaming window. Also a mandatory install which will take a fair while even if I ignore this patch. This was more than double when I recently tried Spiderman under similar circumstances - over 50GB on that occasion. I've got to plan it a day in advance and leave the PS4 in rest mode to be able to pick-up-and-play! It's also becoming increasingly problematic only having 500GB at my disposal, the amount of games I'm able to have installed at once is shockingly low, meaning I can't just pick out a disc on a whim for a game I've had to remove for space reasons. Kinda takes the romance out of it.

I realise this is a moan better aimed at modern gaming in general and perhaps also my unwillingness to upgrade my PS4, but still, I've got very good fibre internet (FTTP Infinity) but it takes AGES to download such massive updates things over PSN / PS4.

I went back to the Vita for some more Root Letter after this. Hopefully I'll check out Doom tonight.