The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by ratsoalbion » May 11th, 2019, 8:03 am

So even if all the episodes came out to rave reviews you wouldn’t buy it because it’s episodic? I don’t understand that at all.

And even when the whole thing was out and discounted? I don’t believe that.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » May 11th, 2019, 8:27 am

Oh I don’t mean it like that. I mean I won’t buy it until it’s all out and inevitably cheaper.

If it was a complete package I might have gone in day 1 for 50 quid.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » May 11th, 2019, 9:16 am

I will be buying this day one even if it's a complete shitshow. I'll no doubt be frustrated by the episodic nature but only in as much as I expect it to fade out just as we leave Midgar and the open world theme starts to stir...

TO BE CONTINUED

DURRR...DURRR DURRR DAAAAHHHHH DDDAAAAAHHHHHH! (that's the theme)

I'm replaying it on the Switch at the moment, very slowly, and that's all I really need. I don't expect anything other than graphics from the FF7 movie stuff, gameplay and engine from FFXV, plus terrible voice acting. It will be more than enough for me to simply see those environments in greater detail and from different perspectives while music pipes away magnificently. I have no particular interest in the gameplay at all, similar to how I feel about the original game! It's the world and music and characters and sense of place which make it so special to me.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » May 11th, 2019, 11:11 am

Oh I'll definitely give it a try. May likely wait till its all out, though.

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » May 11th, 2019, 1:20 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 8:03 am
So even if all the episodes came out to rave reviews you wouldn’t buy it because it’s episodic? I don’t understand that at all.

If it's digital only, I think it's extremely unlikely I'd buy it til a proper disc comes out. If each chapter is released on disc for like $40 (a normal release here is $80), I may buy into episodic. If each chapter is $80 a go... SE can fuck right off.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » May 11th, 2019, 4:07 pm

I think there is very little point speculating or worrying about what the price is going to be at this juncture. I mean we have no idea how the game will be split or how it will be released, we are just pissing in the wind.

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » May 11th, 2019, 4:10 pm

Hey, if my government can piss in the wind and get paid $173k per MP to do it, I can do it for free. :P

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » May 11th, 2019, 8:40 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 8:03 am

Well... never say never, right? ;)

But as this point in time (and times do change), I barely have time to play the games I currently have in my collection. There's a reason I lean more towards arcade games as I get older, and not just because of the dreaded nostalgia (which, when it comes to FF7, seems relevant).

Maybe as a complete, one of package, yeah. Someday. I'm probably buy it, place it proudly on my shelf, and get to it years later!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » May 12th, 2019, 6:43 am

The Vita 3.69/3.70 hack has been released, if anyone is interested. We're away today but I can't wait to apply it tomorrow. I always regretted 'unhacking' mine a couple of years ago because it really does make an incredible handheld emulation machine. Everything from MAME to SNES to Amiga to Spectrum to N64 etc. Got all the controls you need, brilliant screen, it's just such a great device to have hacked, and since we are basically at the Vita's end of life now seems a perfect time to do it.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » May 13th, 2019, 7:32 am

Alex79uk wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 6:43 am
The Vita 3.69/3.70 hack has been released, if anyone is interested. We're away today but I can't wait to apply it tomorrow. I always regretted 'unhacking' mine a couple of years ago because it really does make an incredible handheld emulation machine. Everything from MAME to SNES to Amiga to Spectrum to N64 etc. Got all the controls you need, brilliant screen, it's just such a great device to have hacked, and since we are basically at the Vita's end of life now seems a perfect time to do it.
Is it still that weird system where you have to navigate to a website to activate it each time you turn it on?

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » May 13th, 2019, 1:10 pm

That was the Henkaku hack from 3.60, and probably still the best one. Not sure how this one works yet. It wasn't a hassle though, how often do you actually turn the Vita off fully? I only had to do it once and it lasted weeks before I rebooted the console.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » May 13th, 2019, 1:29 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 1:10 pm
how often do you actually turn the Vita off fully?
Funny you ask, I'm the opposite - I fully power off almost every time I use it, same with the Switch, 3DS etc - I don't like leaving battery handhelds in sleep mode, slowly consuming power. The only time I don't is if I am about to fall asleep in say a narrative game and can't hit a save point, therefore I'm forced to use sleep mode. But that stresses me out for some reason :lol:

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » May 14th, 2019, 11:57 am

Well, I've done mine, it took a couple of hours but only because I had a couple of hiccups where the guide wasn't quite right. Worked it out in the end though! Nice, handheld Megadrive and SNES again, woohoo!

It's fairly straightforward, if you can follow guides it's not too much hassle, although it does involve a few techy bits like installing Python to your PC and running some other software. I'd rate it more difficult than hacking a Wii, but much easier than a 360.

FYI hazedredmist, it's a permanent hack, so no need to reapply once you turn off the console. If anyone decides to go ahead and hack their Vita and runs in to any trouble just PM me and I'm happy to help.

Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum » May 14th, 2019, 1:56 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 11:57 am
Well, I've done mine, it took a couple of hours but only because I had a couple of hiccups where the guide wasn't quite right. Worked it out in the end though! Nice, handheld Megadrive and SNES again, woohoo!

It's fairly straightforward, if you can follow guides it's not too much hassle, although it does involve a few techy bits like installing Python to your PC and running some other software. I'd rate it more difficult than hacking a Wii, but much easier than a 360.

FYI hazedredmist, it's a permanent hack, so no need to reapply once you turn off the console. If anyone decides to go ahead and hack their Vita and runs in to any trouble just PM me and I'm happy to help.
Very interested in doing this!

Never tried when the first hacks starting popping up a couple of years back.

Anywhere you can recommend with the best guide on how to get it done? Don't suppose Python and the other software mentioned runs on mac??

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » May 14th, 2019, 2:06 pm

I believe you can use a Mac, there are several different guides. Not sure about forum etiquette with linking to hacking guides, but if you Google Vita Trinity Hack you should find something. I'll have a look which one I used when I get home and PM you :)

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » May 29th, 2019, 2:37 pm

June 2019 PS+ games are:

Sonic Mania

Borderlands: The Handsome Collection

You know what, I'm fairly pleased with this months offerings. Two games I wouldn't have paid for in a million years, but will happily try out for 'free'. Borderlands is effectively two games, being Borderlands 2 and The Pre-Sequel, along with all the DLC, so all in all, a decent month for a change! Nice.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » May 29th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Nice! I have Sonic on Switch but them’s decent offerings for the £4 or whatever it is.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 31st, 2019, 2:36 pm

August's PS+ games are:

Wipeout Omega Collection
Sniper Elite 4

Cool. Pleased with that.

JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero » July 31st, 2019, 2:44 pm

Sniper Elite 4 is pretty bloody good!

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » July 31st, 2019, 3:01 pm

Wipeout is good if you're into that, although do be aware there aren't any new tracks, it's essentially a HD comp of old stuff / the Vita game.