The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
User avatar
KSubzero1000
Member
Posts: 3365
Joined: August 26th, 2015, 9:56 pm
Location: Germany

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ratsoalbion wrote: May 11th, 2019, 12:40 am But we don't know the pricing. What if it's six $10, 10 hour episodes rather than a $60, 60 hour game?
I fundamentally reject the notion of calculating a game's value and/or amount of content based on arbitrary completion time.

But I take your point. It's possible that the pricing would be more or less in line with that of a conventional AAA release for a similar amount of content. Personally, I doubt it, but it's possible. What's more likely to me is that the game's budget is already sky-high and that they're gonna try nickle-and-dime the final product based on the enormous amount of hype surrounding it. And the inevitable complete edition later down the line is gonna encourage double-dipping on top of that.

The thing about the episodic model is that it's really easy to sneakily overprice things a little bit at a time. If the full game were to cost $72 instead of $60, some potential consumers might have second thoughts. But if each individual episode were to cost $12 instead of $10...

User avatar
Magical_Isopod
Member
Posts: 739
Joined: May 29th, 2018, 11:57 pm
Location: London, ON, Canada

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Magical_Isopod »

If a game is episodic, why would I *not* wait for the full version? Episodic releases are a stupid waste of time. They make sense for small indie studios who can only work on small sections at a time, but Square-Enix is not hurting for cash. There's no reason for it to be episodic, short of extortion.

.hack//GU on PS2 was a so-so experience because it was sold as three full-priced "volumes". But the Last Recode re-release with the game rebalanced to be a single 60-hour RPG is a significantly better experience - my #4 favourite game of all time. That's what worries me with this plan.

User avatar
Alex79uk
Member
Posts: 6910
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 12:36 pm
Location: Walsall, UK.
Contact:

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Alex79uk »

Ah ok, well I stand corrected. The gripe with it being episodic is that it's an open world game and I just can't understand how that would work being delivered in episodes. A purely narrative game, like Telltale stuff, works because you're getting story chunks like a TV show. Hitman worked because it was a single level at a time, but in FFVII once you reach a certain point you can go anywhere at any time, and I just don't see how that marries up with episodic delivery.

EDIT: Sorry, I mean MY gripe, rather than THE gripe. Big difference!

User avatar
Joshihatsumitsu
Member
Posts: 1021
Joined: September 12th, 2016, 3:55 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I guess the upside of it being episodic is that I'll save myself a little bit of money, from not purchasing it. So... for me, that's handy?

User avatar
Magical_Isopod
Member
Posts: 739
Joined: May 29th, 2018, 11:57 pm
Location: London, ON, Canada

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I mean, if you're gonna chop FF7 into segments, that doesn't preclude it from being open world... Not that it ever really WAS, I mean, more so than FF6 was, FF7 is a very linear game with a few detours. Yeah, it has a big, open field, but in general, you were bee-lining from place to place for like 90% of the game.

Let's say they do split into 3 episodes, it's pretty clear where the cut lines would be:

Episode 1: Bombing Mission 1 through to Escape Midgar
Episode 2: Leaving Midgar through Meteor Summoned
Episode 3: Doomsday through Fight Sephiroth

There's more than enough content to pad out 3 roughly equivalent chapters there. I just hope they follow the original script and don't cram any of that Compilation shit in where it doesn't belong (for instance -- Zack was never Aeris's boyfriend, that was a fan theory based on a mistranslation that Square adapted for fan service).

User avatar
Magical_Isopod
Member
Posts: 739
Joined: May 29th, 2018, 11:57 pm
Location: London, ON, Canada

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Magical_Isopod »

(Also - few people seem to remember this, but Disc 1 of FF7 was about 60% of the game... Only reason it's a 3-disc game is because of the cutscene dump on discs 2 and 3.)

User avatar
Simonsloth
Member
Posts: 1453
Joined: November 22nd, 2017, 7:17 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Simonsloth »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: May 11th, 2019, 8:39 am I guess the upside of it being episodic is that I'll save myself a little bit of money, from not purchasing it. So... for me, that's handy?
Haha. My thoughts exactly.

User avatar
ratsoalbion
Admin
Posts: 7506
Joined: August 28th, 2012, 9:41 am
Location: Brighton, England
Contact:

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by ratsoalbion »

So even if all the episodes came out to rave reviews you wouldn’t buy it because it’s episodic? I don’t understand that at all.

And even when the whole thing was out and discounted? I don’t believe that.

User avatar
Simonsloth
Member
Posts: 1453
Joined: November 22nd, 2017, 7:17 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Simonsloth »

Oh I don’t mean it like that. I mean I won’t buy it until it’s all out and inevitably cheaper.

If it was a complete package I might have gone in day 1 for 50 quid.

User avatar
Stanshall
Member
Posts: 2370
Joined: January 31st, 2016, 6:45 am

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Stanshall »

I will be buying this day one even if it's a complete shitshow. I'll no doubt be frustrated by the episodic nature but only in as much as I expect it to fade out just as we leave Midgar and the open world theme starts to stir...

TO BE CONTINUED

DURRR...DURRR DURRR DAAAAHHHHH DDDAAAAAHHHHHH! (that's the theme)

I'm replaying it on the Switch at the moment, very slowly, and that's all I really need. I don't expect anything other than graphics from the FF7 movie stuff, gameplay and engine from FFXV, plus terrible voice acting. It will be more than enough for me to simply see those environments in greater detail and from different perspectives while music pipes away magnificently. I have no particular interest in the gameplay at all, similar to how I feel about the original game! It's the world and music and characters and sense of place which make it so special to me.

User avatar
Alex79uk
Member
Posts: 6910
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 12:36 pm
Location: Walsall, UK.
Contact:

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Alex79uk »

Oh I'll definitely give it a try. May likely wait till its all out, though.

User avatar
Magical_Isopod
Member
Posts: 739
Joined: May 29th, 2018, 11:57 pm
Location: London, ON, Canada

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Magical_Isopod »

ratsoalbion wrote: May 11th, 2019, 10:03 am So even if all the episodes came out to rave reviews you wouldn’t buy it because it’s episodic? I don’t understand that at all.

And even when the whole thing was out and discounted? I don’t believe that.
If it's digital only, I think it's extremely unlikely I'd buy it til a proper disc comes out. If each chapter is released on disc for like $40 (a normal release here is $80), I may buy into episodic. If each chapter is $80 a go... SE can fuck right off.

User avatar
Alex79uk
Member
Posts: 6910
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 12:36 pm
Location: Walsall, UK.
Contact:

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Alex79uk »

I think there is very little point speculating or worrying about what the price is going to be at this juncture. I mean we have no idea how the game will be split or how it will be released, we are just pissing in the wind.

User avatar
Magical_Isopod
Member
Posts: 739
Joined: May 29th, 2018, 11:57 pm
Location: London, ON, Canada

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Hey, if my government can piss in the wind and get paid $173k per MP to do it, I can do it for free. :P

User avatar
Joshihatsumitsu
Member
Posts: 1021
Joined: September 12th, 2016, 3:55 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

ratsoalbion wrote: May 11th, 2019, 10:03 am So even if all the episodes came out to rave reviews you wouldn’t buy it because it’s episodic? I don’t understand that at all.

And even when the whole thing was out and discounted? I don’t believe that.
Well... never say never, right? ;)

But as this point in time (and times do change), I barely have time to play the games I currently have in my collection. There's a reason I lean more towards arcade games as I get older, and not just because of the dreaded nostalgia (which, when it comes to FF7, seems relevant).

Maybe as a complete, one of package, yeah. Someday. I'm probably buy it, place it proudly on my shelf, and get to it years later!

User avatar
Alex79uk
Member
Posts: 6910
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 12:36 pm
Location: Walsall, UK.
Contact:

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Alex79uk »

The Vita 3.69/3.70 hack has been released, if anyone is interested. We're away today but I can't wait to apply it tomorrow. I always regretted 'unhacking' mine a couple of years ago because it really does make an incredible handheld emulation machine. Everything from MAME to SNES to Amiga to Spectrum to N64 etc. Got all the controls you need, brilliant screen, it's just such a great device to have hacked, and since we are basically at the Vita's end of life now seems a perfect time to do it.

User avatar
hazeredmist
Member
Posts: 1708
Joined: June 25th, 2013, 12:45 pm
Location: The DMZ
Contact:

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by hazeredmist »

Alex79uk wrote: May 12th, 2019, 8:43 am The Vita 3.69/3.70 hack has been released, if anyone is interested. We're away today but I can't wait to apply it tomorrow. I always regretted 'unhacking' mine a couple of years ago because it really does make an incredible handheld emulation machine. Everything from MAME to SNES to Amiga to Spectrum to N64 etc. Got all the controls you need, brilliant screen, it's just such a great device to have hacked, and since we are basically at the Vita's end of life now seems a perfect time to do it.
Is it still that weird system where you have to navigate to a website to activate it each time you turn it on?

User avatar
Alex79uk
Member
Posts: 6910
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 12:36 pm
Location: Walsall, UK.
Contact:

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Alex79uk »

That was the Henkaku hack from 3.60, and probably still the best one. Not sure how this one works yet. It wasn't a hassle though, how often do you actually turn the Vita off fully? I only had to do it once and it lasted weeks before I rebooted the console.

User avatar
hazeredmist
Member
Posts: 1708
Joined: June 25th, 2013, 12:45 pm
Location: The DMZ
Contact:

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by hazeredmist »

Alex79uk wrote: May 13th, 2019, 3:10 pmhow often do you actually turn the Vita off fully?
Funny you ask, I'm the opposite - I fully power off almost every time I use it, same with the Switch, 3DS etc - I don't like leaving battery handhelds in sleep mode, slowly consuming power. The only time I don't is if I am about to fall asleep in say a narrative game and can't hit a save point, therefore I'm forced to use sleep mode. But that stresses me out for some reason :lol:

User avatar
Alex79uk
Member
Posts: 6910
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 12:36 pm
Location: Walsall, UK.
Contact:

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Alex79uk »

Well, I've done mine, it took a couple of hours but only because I had a couple of hiccups where the guide wasn't quite right. Worked it out in the end though! Nice, handheld Megadrive and SNES again, woohoo!

It's fairly straightforward, if you can follow guides it's not too much hassle, although it does involve a few techy bits like installing Python to your PC and running some other software. I'd rate it more difficult than hacking a Wii, but much easier than a 360.

FYI hazedredmist, it's a permanent hack, so no need to reapply once you turn off the console. If anyone decides to go ahead and hack their Vita and runs in to any trouble just PM me and I'm happy to help.

Post Reply