The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Flabyo »

Suits wrote: June 16th, 2020, 1:46 pm I can fully believe that Sony could get a Blu-Ray drive at a very competitive price.
and yet the PS4 Pro doesn’t have 4k HD Blu-ray support and the xbox one x does.

Sony are weird.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: June 16th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Suits wrote: June 16th, 2020, 1:46 pm I can fully believe that Sony could get a Blu-Ray drive at a very competitive price.
and yet the PS4 Pro doesn’t have 4k HD Blu-ray support and the xbox one x does.
Excellent point. I totally forgot about that.
Suits

Post by Suits »

See, I have Horizon and The Last of Us (part 1) still to play on my PS4.

The biggest thing putting me off getting into them properly is the fact my PS4 Pro is damn loud.

Like off putting/distracting loud.

It's OK when I'm playing Pro Evo and I'm listing to a podcast say, but for immersive games it sucks (or blows.lol).

My plan is to play these on the PS5 when it launches.

As a total consumer now, I have a genuine need for backwards compatibility and on the PS5, from launch - please Sony don't let me down here.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Amazon have put up an image of both PS5's on their side.

If anyone needed to see them like this.

I actually think it looks better standing up.

ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I originally thought the disc version would stand the other way around (I.e. disc side on top) and that might look better, but this looks even weirder.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I actually like the look of it now on its side
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

I have to say I started off quite liking it, but every time I see it now I'm really going off it already.

Stood up or laid down - it's just not a nice-looking thing to me either way. It's just a bit self-conscious and vulgar, and the fact it is literally one of, if not the largest, consoles ever made doesn't help.

Will be interesting to see what the build quality is going to be like. If it's not great and feels flimsy that'll be a shame, and will undermine the expensive, futuristic aesthetic they're going for.

Still, as a lot of people have already said, as long as it's nice and quiet that's the only thing that really matters.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It reminds me of my school shoes when I was a broke kid and had to wear them until they sublimed.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm definitely up for an all digital console - but whether I'd take an all digital PS5 over an all digital Xbox is questionable. It really depends on whether Sony get their act together with PS Now. It's so, so much better than it was, but it's still not Gamepass. Also, I very rarely day one purchase a game, I mean like maybe once or twice in the last 6 years (I can't think of anything since Dark Souls 2 to be honest) BUT being locked in to all digital for a day one AAA release would be a pain when you can always, without fail, pick up a disc copy for at least £10 cheaper than on the PSN store. (And trade it in).
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

The ability to trade in games is a huge factor for me as it funds a lot of my game purchases these days.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Alex79uk wrote: June 17th, 2020, 7:38 pm I'm definitely up for an all digital console - but whether I'd take an all digital PS5 over an all digital Xbox is questionable. It really depends on whether Sony get their act together with PS Now. It's so, so much better than it was, but it's still not Gamepass. Also, I very rarely day one purchase a game, I mean like maybe once or twice in the last 6 years (I can't think of anything since Dark Souls 2 to be honest) BUT being locked in to all digital for a day one AAA release would be a pain when you can always, without fail, pick up a disc copy for at least £10 cheaper than on the PSN store. (And trade it in).
I think that's a good point. The digital ecosystem overall of Xbox vs Playstation is a lot more mature and better value, so I could see a digital-only Xbox (likely whatever Lockhart turns out to be) making a lot more sense than a digital-only PS5.

Will probably get disc versions of both though at some point, as while I don't do trade-in, I do sell things on ebay and recycle that money for other purchases, games or otherwise. When I think of the amount I make back from on selling games over the lifecycle of a console, that would be quite a lot just to give up for the sake of saving £50 or so on the initial system purchase.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Angry_Kurt wrote: June 18th, 2020, 9:28 am The ability to trade in games is a huge factor for me as it funds a lot of my game purchases these days.
I'm sure there are millions in the same boat, particularly at the moment. It's the main reason I don't think the digital-only future is perhaps quite as close and inevitable as it sometimes seems.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Some have suggested a second hand digital code marketplace becoming a thing, but I don't know how it would work in practice. If it did become a thing though then sure, I'd happily go digital.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I can't see it be overly difficult to implement, although would likely require an always on Internet connection.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Stanshall wrote: June 16th, 2020, 2:17 pm I'll be going all digital this time. I haven't bought a physical game on the PS4 since...I genuinely don't know if I've bought one. I'm all digital on everything. Ring Fit Adventure is a great game but I can't be arsed taking launch BotW out of the Switch to play it. Given how low the barrier to entry is, and how lazy I am, maybe an exercise game wasn't a sensible purchase.
I've been all digital since halfway through the 360/PS3 days since there was a massive money-saving side for anyone with 2 consoles in the same home thanks to account sharing. Never regreted it. Only current Gen disc I have is Zoo Tycoon because it came with the XBOX. Other than investing in multiple terabyte drives its been economically sound.
Of course I have GamePass now so I don't really buy any games now :P
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: June 17th, 2020, 3:02 pm I have to say I started off quite liking it, but every time I see it now I'm really going off it already.

Stood up or laid down - it's just not a nice-looking thing to me either way. It's just a bit self-conscious and vulgar, and the fact it is literally one of, if not the largest, consoles ever made doesn't help.

Will be interesting to see what the build quality is going to be like. If it's not great and feels flimsy that'll be a shame, and will undermine the expensive, futuristic aesthetic they're going for.

Still, as a lot of people have already said, as long as it's nice and quiet that's the only thing that really matters.
Agree that its a real eyesore. As many others have pointed out, everything about it screams 'early 2000s router'. Maybe it'll look better IRL than it does in the promo pics?

Sony tend to be pretty hit and miss with product aesthetics, and they generally fare best when they keep things simple and understated - the classic Walkman, the PS2 and their A7 mirrorless camera range spring to mind, but when they go bold or fancy they end up with... whatever this thing is supposed to be.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Makes me think though, is there a thread on here for the best looking consoles?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KissMammal wrote: June 18th, 2020, 8:48 pm Makes me think though, is there a thread on here for the best looking consoles?
No need.

Gamecube.

Then Dreamcast.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Alex79uk wrote: June 18th, 2020, 9:06 pm
KissMammal wrote: June 18th, 2020, 8:48 pm Makes me think though, is there a thread on here for the best looking consoles?
No need.

Gamecube.

Then Dreamcast.
:lol:

They are both great. So compact. The Gamecube is super cute (even the discs are cute!), but I'd probably give it to the Dreamcast - they packed so much power into such a small package, and when you compare it to what the Sony came up with for the PS2 right after (I know some people like it but always looked like some sort of electric radiator/fan heater to me), it's all the more impressive.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Although I've always loved the limited edition skeleton 'This Is Cool' Saturn:

I mean it literally says 'this is cool' on it...