The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Truk_Kurt

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Yeah that would be a cool idea. With shows like The Boys proving popular these days, it seems that there is an appetite for adult superhero stories.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Some great ideas for where Naughty Dog could go next!

I don't think it will be Uncharted (whatever direction that goes in) - that will be farmed out to another studio with ND supervising I'd guess.

A proper, serious pirate adventure set in that 17th-18th Century 'golden age' would be brilliant. Not a Pirates of the Caribbean 'ooo arrrr' swashbuckler, but a gritty historical epic. Could be brilliant!

I think they'd do a very good job with something in the 'violent super heroes for grown-ups' genre, and I'd certainly play it, but I don't know if that as a concept will be oversaturated/played out by the time they'd actually manage to get a game released in a few years time.

I'd love to see them tackle a big sci-fi epic. Not the campy alien-filled kind like Star Wars or Mass Effect, but something a bit more 'real' in the vain of something like The Expanse, Firefly, or Battlestar. I think that could be really special, and while sci-fi video games are common as muck, the vast majority are intergalactic alien-fests and I think something with a bit more grit and near-future reality could really stand out.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: April 12th, 2021, 10:05 am I think they'd do a very good job with something in the 'violent super heroes for grown-ups' genre, and I'd certainly play it, but I don't know if that as a concept will be oversaturated/played out by the time they'd actually manage to get a game released in a few years time.
That's true, as there does seem to be more and more TV shows being made in that genre. Although I seem to remember the whole zombie genre was pretty saturated in both gaming and other media when the first Last of Us came out.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Truk_Kurt wrote: April 12th, 2021, 10:22 am That's true, as there does seem to be more and more TV shows being made in that genre. Although I seem to remember the whole zombie genre was pretty saturated in both gaming and other media when the first Last of Us came out.
Yeah that's a fair point. I'd say zombies have been established as a bit of media ever-present over a very long time, and while there are peaks and troughs there's always a market for the genre to a greater or lesser extent. It will be interesting to see whether this variant of the super hero phenomenon has long term staying power in a similar way. It's obviously been around as a concept for many years (Watchmen was the 80's but I'm sure there are older examples?), but this certainly feels like its first big moment in the multimedia zeitgeist.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Great news for lucky PS5 owners:

Miririn

Post by Miririn »

ratsoalbion wrote: May 19th, 2021, 4:10 pm Great news for lucky PS5 owners:

Seeing this post without having a PS5 has caused me to morph into Gollum.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Might just be me but the initial load of any save file after downloading it took about 20 minutes on my ps5.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Mine took about 90 seconds.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just had a glance at what PS Now is looking like at the moment, my sub having expired back in Feb this year or something. Wow there's some great stuff on there at the moment! RDR 2, Witcher 3, God Of War, Borderlands 3, Streets Of Rage 4, Nioh 2 - absolutely loads of stuff! I'd be tempted to subscribe again if I wasn't planning on living off Gamepass for the rest of the year soon. PS Now is getting a lot stronger lately.
Kal_Luke

Post by Kal_Luke »

Alex79uk wrote: July 9th, 2021, 10:14 pm Just had a glance at what PS Now is looking like at the moment, my sub having expired back in Feb this year or something. Wow there's some great stuff on there at the moment! RDR 2, Witcher 3, God Of War, Borderlands 3, Streets Of Rage 4, Nioh 2 - absolutely loads of stuff! I'd be tempted to subscribe again if I wasn't planning on living off Gamepass for the rest of the year soon. PS Now is getting a lot stronger lately.
I’d had it for a over a year but cancelled my subscription last week. I’ve been living and dying on my switch since I got it. Maybe if PSNow comes to Android I’ll get it again as I had a pretty good experience Streaming games on PS4. It’s a real bummer that it was removed from Vita.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

I really hope the "Spider-Man 2" rumours are true: that Insomniac are further along with the gameplay than they've let on and that the motion capture work has started. I loved the story in the first game, and the gameplay was fun too. Desperate to see Insomniac's take on Green Goblin. (...but I'll also happily accept Venom and Lizard).

I've always loved Spidey and the Insomniac games, along wirh "Into ths Spider-Verse", are my favourite ongoing Spider-Man franchise at the moment (over the current live action films, TV show and comics).
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Playstation showcase in 18 minutes!
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Miririn wrote: July 15th, 2021, 2:25 pm I really hope the "Spider-Man 2" rumours are true: that Insomniac are further along with the gameplay than they've let on and that the motion capture work has started. I loved the story in the first game, and the gameplay was fun too. Desperate to see Insomniac's take on Green Goblin. (...but I'll also happily accept Venom and Lizard).

I've always loved Spidey and the Insomniac games, along wirh "Into ths Spider-Verse", are my favourite ongoing Spider-Man franchise at the moment (over the current live action films, TV show and comics).
Well, I guess you're happy then!

and not only Spidey but Wolverine too!

Looks like Insomniac are gonna have a busy couple of years ahead of them.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It wasn't a bad showcase, I thought. There's a few things there I'd definitely want to play if I had a PS5. Probably the only game that would make me go out and buy one is the new God Of War, so I figure I've got at least a year or so before that comes out to save up.

I did get a bit excited when Uncharted came on, but a remaster wouldn't prompt a new console purchase for me. I'm sure there will be a new Uncharted at some point though, and that really would be a system seller for me.
Seph

Post by Seph »

I was a bit underwhelmed, there was nothing really there that's making me think I really need to get a PS5. Almost every game looked like it was designed for teenage boys, it's like the PS3 era all over again. The only thing that looked unique was that cutesy platform game, and even that had to touch on grimdark stuff.

Insomniac are basically keeping the brand afloat at this point.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

I thought it was pretty good. Project Eve, Forspoken, God of War sequel all looked good. KOTOR remake is interesting to me, I haven't played the original. More Spiderman is good too, I still want to finish the first. I'll pick up the Alan Wake remaster and possibly Deathloop too. Love Uncharted 4/LL so nice to see them although I'm not sure I'll buy them again. Everything else I'm ambivalent on but I enjoyed the showcase.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I was mostly impressed, I didn’t know why they felt the need to show Deathloop again when it’s been shown to death at various shows at this point and is out in a few days anyway. My highlights were Spider-Man 2, Gran Turismo 7 and even though it was just a tease, I’m happy to know a Wolverine game is in the works with insomniac at the helm.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

Happy to have a date and a teaser for the Spider-Man sequel is an understatement! The mockery I got in my watch-along game group chat when I lost my mind over two Marvel and/or Insomniac fake-outs before I got that sweet, sweet Spidey 2 hit.

I have said in the past I'd love a good X-Men game in the style of Insomniac's Spider-Man and while I find Wolverine over-done as a character in general (Logan, sweets, I love you but there are five billion X-Men who never get to do anything in the adaptations...) I am so happy we are getting the game and that Insomniac are at the helm.

Ecstatic about Uncharted 4 remaster because I love that game to pieces and it's the only game other than TLOU2 I've rinsed (...now I just need to pony up for a PS5) and I think it's so polished and so fun. Forspoken looks fantastic (and there's a cat). I was a bit of a God of War agnostic story wise but I loved
the gameplay and art design, so I'm looking forward to God of War: Ragnarok (the new characters and cast look great too). And I'll play Alan Wake based on Kurt's recc. Lots of fun stuff to play. The Pacific Islands game also looks super cute.

Edit - A lot of the other trailers felt a bit too manic and meta and trying very hard to be cool and Deadpool-y and frantic. I felt elderly.

And Project Eve (?) lady needs to fix her wedgie situation because that looks very uncomfortable.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/03/29 ... than-ever/

"PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now come together; players can choose from three flexible options."
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

ratsoalbion wrote: March 29th, 2022, 1:22 pm https://blog.playstation.com/2022/03/29 ... than-ever/

"PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now come together; players can choose from three flexible options."
I'm... Not terribly impressed by that. I definitely see the value here. But why couldn't they also introduce a "validate and download" backwards compatibility system like XB1/S/X? So they're saying, "We have all these classics available for streaming and download, and even though the system can technically read discs from every generation, you need to pay up anyway."

It really seems like Sony wants to have their cake and eat it too. They want to be able to say "we have Game Pass" and "we have NSO" but without the BC of Xbox and without the low price of NSO.