The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
AndyKurosaki

Re: PlayStation 4

Post by AndyKurosaki »

I'm not worried by that statement, as the vast majority of Vita games are 'physical' releases. And going fully download only is something our country just couldn't cope with yet. And there's no way I'm ever paying £50+ for a manual-less, boxless download title. Fuck that.
countstex

Post by countstex »

The whole 'digial should be cheaper than physical' mentality just doesn't hold. Sure they save on manufacturing and distribution of the discs, but instead they have the costs of hosting and paying for the bandwidth. Having millions downloading a 6Gig+ game costs a hell of a lot believe me. And the older a game gets the most expensive that will be as the hosting costs will remain but the number of purchases will greatly fall off. If I should get a PS4 I will look to run it as a pure digital system, terabyte hard-drives are pretty economical and anyone with a 5mb+ connection will be fine.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

countstex wrote:Having millions downloading a 6Gig+ game costs a hell of a lot believe me.
…Huh?
countstex

Post by countstex »

Roy42 wrote:
countstex wrote:Having millions downloading a 6Gig+ game costs a hell of a lot believe me.
…Huh?
Every time someone downloads a full game from MS or Sony they have to effectively pay for the bandwidth usage. Now I'm sure they are on some deals where it is a fixed amount, but still there is quite a large cost associated with paying for the bandwidth usage of people downloading a game from them. Make that game the size of full retail releases, and multiply that by the millions who can download the title and the costs are pretty darn high.
delb2k

Post by delb2k »

After a little bit of time to think about this announcement and what they showed I cannot fault what Sony have decided to put in the box. It address most of the complaints, streamlines the architecture and appears on paper to be a pretty beastly machine.

Have to admit I am not too sure about the sharing myself. A very good idea but I am one of those old school people that turns a console on and then just starts a game. My 360 is about as social as I currently like my gaming to me so all the video upload, sharing and watching others streams will never be something I can see myself really indulging in. Bu for those that do want it there it looks like it could be fantastic if they do it correctly.

But then I hardly touch Miiverse so I suspect I am not the target audience.

I also feel I need some piece of software to really sell me the system still. I am sure it will come but the initial announcements felt kinda safe.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Think we'll soon be seeing some exciting games on the horizon now devs are allowed to say the PS4 exists. The new InFamous will definitely be on my radar, the second one was a brilliant game, so even if it's more of that but with shinyer graphics, that'll do.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

With all this mass background downloading (both in and out of suspend state) and the likely binning of the download/install process I'm wondering if after the initial server pressure especially on day one games they can't work a P2P system into it over time, then again there's the whole stream as you play thing... either way, sounds like we're going to see some impressive network tech this gen.

On the price front I'm beginning to feel tempted by anything around £300, I just hope the Wii U doesn't drop in price soon before the PS4 launch or I'll be hard pressed to pick one up on day one.
countstex

Post by countstex »

I can see 3rd party support for the Wii-U seriously dropping off once the next gen consoles are out. PC, NextBox and PS4 development will be very similar due to the very PC like configurations (assuming the NextBox follows suit), developing for the Wii-U will require a very different approach just as a 3DS version would, so given the install basses they'd be better targeting the 3DS for a Nintendo version. Not that that's anything new for Ninty boxes of course. And I can see Indies targeting PC, PS4 (given the self publishing options) and the Ouya mainly, as well as iOS/Android for the handheld space.
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

mikeleddy83 wrote: On the price front I'm beginning to feel tempted by anything around £300, I just hope the Wii U doesn't drop in price soon before the PS4 launch or I'll be hard pressed to pick one up on day one.
Yeah, £299.99 is the magic number for me too.
General Aquila

Post by General Aquila »

The Sonic Mole wrote:
mikeleddy83 wrote: On the price front I'm beginning to feel tempted by anything around £300, I just hope the Wii U doesn't drop in price soon before the PS4 launch or I'll be hard pressed to pick one up on day one.
Yeah, £299.99 is the magic number for me too.
£300 is the magic price and retailers are thinking this also.
bobbydee12

Post by bobbydee12 »

I'll most probably get one day one. I like the direction Sony are going in. I like new tech, new games and the share feature looks great.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just got a bonus from work. I can't decide whether to get a Vita now or put it away and forget about it for now and get a PS4 ASAP...

>_<

(First world problems).
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Go for the Vita. It's a great bit of kit with despite what people say, a great set of games on it. Plus you know you'll only want one when the PS4 is out for remote play anyway.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I'm thinking you're right, and I have been stockpiling games off PS+ to play on it when I eventually get one. I think I'll keep my eye out for an awesome deal rather than rushing out and grabbing one from the 24 hour Tesco though, lol.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

God of War Collection 1 anx 2 are on sale this week on PS Store. Extra 10% off the price for plus subs aswell. Prices are better than Amazon and other online retailers, so anyone interested should pick em up. :P
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Given the price drop and the 4x increase in sales as a result in Japan, I'd certainly wait for a price drop before rushing out and buying one Alex.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh really? Thanks for the advice, I didn't even know about that. I'm in no rush, but on the other hand am also terribly impatient haha, but if a price drop is a possibility in the next couple of months I'll definitely wait.
kappisun

Post by kappisun »

I wonder if price drop might be announced at E3 to coincide with more PS4
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Yeah I'd say wait. Don't get me wrong, the Vita is great, but other than downloadable titles there's not loads of games for it.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Downloadable titles are one of the best thing about the Vita. Love being able to play things like Soundshapes and Strangers Wrath on handheld. And with games like Thomas Is Alone and Hotline Miami on the horizon this looks set to continue.