The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by DomsBeard »

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/10 ... mes-added/

Sony revising PS NOW a bit. £8.99 a month
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

And the annual price same as PS+, which actually makes it a lot more tempting than Plus at this point. May well consider it when my Plus runs out.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

This is broadly good news that Sony are moving to make PS Now more affordable and include bigger marquee titles , but I don't think I'll be signing up until I see how the service pans out over time.

The included games number is high, but a huge number of those are stream-only PS3 titles, and while I've heard the performance of that particular element of the service has improved a bit over time, it's not for me right now.

There are a lot of downloadable PS4 titles though, and again the overall number is impressive (and higher than Game Pass). Looking at the list of included titles though it seems like a lot of filler - F1 2015, 2016 and 2017 anyone?!

It's great that God of War is going on, and GTA is pretty ever-green, but UC4 and Infamous aren't much of a draw by this point surely and are available for peanuts these days. It also seems ridiculous that these four games will apparently only be on for 3 months, and that they've stated any other marquee titles (their words - effectively acknowledging that everything else on the service isn't of that level!), will also only be on the service for the same limited periods.

Nice to see them making an effort, but other than price, they rest of this information seems a little half arsed and underwhelming to me...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Does anyone know if you still need Plus to play PS Now games online? I think with Gamepass you can play those games online without a Gold subscription, is that right? Wondered if it was the same with PS Now.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Alex79uk wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 11:59 am Does anyone know if you still need Plus to play PS Now games online? I think with Gamepass you can play those games online without a Gold subscription, is that right? Wondered if it was the same with PS Now.
So on Game Pass you still need a Gold subscription to play online. 'Game Pass Ultimate' includes Game Pass and Gold in one price. Standard Game Pass is just that alone.

You can have standard Game Pass plus a separate Gold subscription if you like, but they offer a really good value service to combine your remaining subscriptions to both and become an Ultimate subscriber.

Ultimate is £10.99 per month, which is good value, but if you keep an eye out for offers you'll never pay that. A quick google and you find 3 months for £15 for example. Game Pass alone is £7.99, but again you'll never pay that unless you let whatever bulk deal you've found lapse.

I imagine Sony will follow suit at some point, offering an 'ultimate' subscription bundle of Plus and Now.

At the moment to me Game Pass and Now aren't really equivalent services, with the former being far better value for me personally. On Game Pass you have a smaller (but still pretty big!) catalogue of seemingly curated, largely high quality games from top drawer AAA titles down to indies. Plus all of Microsofts first party stuff now and in the future.

On PS Now it looks very much quantity over quality at the moment (not to say there aren't good games on there though, as there definitely are!). And Sony's new strategy looks to be only drip feeding larger games and older first party titles onto the service a few at a time, and only of a limited period. You do obviously get the PS3 streaming functionality for which there is no equivalent on Game Pass, where everything is download only across Xbox One, 360, and original Xbox titles.

It's personal preference, but Game Pass is the better service for me right now. Be interesting to see how things evolve over time!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hmm yeah, that surprises me, I was sure you could play Gamepass games online without Gold (or ultimate), but no.

Having looked in to it, you do not need PS+ to play PS Now games online (but obviously do for other games).

Very tempted to be honest to pick this up instead of Plus. The 'free' monthly games have been appalling in general over the last 18 months and I rarely play online. PS Now seems a no brainer at this point, and I'd love to be able to play through the first RDR again without using my PS3.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Nioh
Outlast 2

November PS Plus games. Not bad at all. I don’t own either and both on my wishlist.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Nioh is very good, but gets repetitive later on.

Outlast 2 is probably nicely timed.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah decent month. Still haven't played the first Outlast as I don't really like horror games, but nice to know its there if I ever feel the urge!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I've noticed recently that the capture features on the PS4 have become very unreliable. More often than not when I hit the share button to save a clip of even just a screenshot, it won't give me the option to save anything. Anyone else had this problem? Not seen any mention of it anywhere. Maybe some update a while back allowed games to turn off the feature by themselves if they needed more memory or something?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Scrustle wrote: November 1st, 2019, 5:23 pm I've noticed recently that the capture features on the PS4 have become very unreliable. More often than not when I hit the share button to save a clip of even just a screenshot, it won't give me the option to save anything. Anyone else had this problem?
I haven't had this problem at all, and I use the feature semi-frequently.

What I do is hold the Share button for a few seconds whenever I want to save a screenshot, which works like a charm.

If you prefer to do it in the menu, you can press Triangle to manually save a screenshot or Square to manually save the past few minutes of video footage, the length of which you can select in the dashboard settings.

So, for a screenshot: Hold Share for a few seconds, or press Share and then Triangle.

For a video clip: Press Share and then Square after the in-game event you want to record. You can trim it down later in the Capture Gallery.

EDIT: I just booted up my PS4 to verify, and it all works perfectly fine on my end.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I know how all the shortcuts works, I've got that all set up. The problem is that the feature simply doesn't work. I'll hit the share button and the pop-up menu will show up, but every option to save something is just greyed out. Pressing the hotkeys simply doesn't do anything. Sometimes it will start working if I leave the menu there for a moment, but usually it doesn't.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Oh sorry, man. I must have misunderstood.

One possible explanation I can think of is that your HDD might not have the extra free space necessary to record your footage properly in the background.

I would suggest either deleting something or rebuilding your database, which shouldn't take too long and might potentially solve the problem in the case of corrupted data or something.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've never had it not work, but sometimes I'll press for a screenshot and it'll be at least ten seconds before it actually takes one!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

December PS+ games:

Titanfall 2
Monster Energy Supercross.

Tites 2 is a good one, but it's been a fiver in every sale for the last 12 months. So we're getting about £20 worth of games.

I'm rolling my eyes.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

My son liked the Monster Energy Supercross demo, and I’m unlikely to even spend a fiver on Titanfall 2 but will give it a go if it’s stuck in front of me, so no complaints.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah the Supercross game has had fairly positive reviews. The Internet rumour mill was pretty insistent we were getting the God Of War 2018 reboot though.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I didn't see that rumour. I'm fairly sure Sony is still making good money off of that one so I would have been extremely surprised. Maybe in another year.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

February PS Plus games are:

Bioshock Collection
The Sims 4
Firewall Zero Hour (VR needed)

That's...a fairly impressive month! I'm not a huge fan of the Bioshock series, but I wouldn't mind replaying them. My sub has now lapsed though and I don't intend to renew for a while, so count me out. Not a bad month though, considering recent form.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

New FF7 remake trailer out there. If you’ve been avoiding these cause you don’t want to know what they’re changing or what things will look like now, you should *really* avoid this one.

It looks so good. Surely they’re not going to mess this up now? Surely.