The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Sinclair Gregstrum

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Well I thought that show last night was fantastic!

Really great job from Sony, and of all these live-streamed video events we've had this year, this one was comfortably the best for me in terms of a piece of entertainment. It definitely lost momentum in the second half, but when you throw out FFXVI (exclusive! Wow!), Spider-Man gameplay and the new Hogwarts game straight off the bat that's inevitable.

Interesting that it has come out after the fact that basically all the major first party stuff will all be on PS4 though! Doesn't make a lot of difference to me personally as I'll be wanting to experience it all on PS5 and the benefits that provides, but given Sony's rhetoric about "believing in generations" up to this point and all the flack Microsoft took for proposing to do exactly this, it will be interesting to see if there's any fallout!

The prices are as good as could be expected. I half-thought they might actually be £50 or so higher than that. I see a lot of people really excited about £399 for the all-digital edition, but that's still a false economy overall. Sure the full-fat disc version is £90 more, but you'll be paying full RRP for every single game you ever buy digitally vs the £5 - £10 off you can always save on physical copies even on day one. When you factor in the amount you get back from trading physical games/selling on ebay, the full price console will easily work out considerably cheaper over time.

Anyway, I've managed to get a pre-order for the disc-drived version, and roll on 19th November (although having to wait an extra week in the UK?! Come on Sony...)
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I thought it was a great showing, highlights were the Harry Potter game and Spider-Man, but everything looked great to be honest. I wasn't planning on getting one at launch anyway but with a lot of the exclusives now coming to PS4, I'm in less of a rush to get one even next year. I might even wait for the first price drop to occur maybe (probably not). I will be going Series X at launch though, mainly due to Game Pass.

I haven't seen anyone comment on the lack of UI being shown and I thought the new PS Plus thing was disappointing, I wouldn't class it as being equal to Game Pass as I have seen some people say.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I wasn't overly excited by the presentation, and in a way I'm almost glad that since I'd decided to go Xbox first next gen that there wasn't anything that made me question my decision.

I also think they're really confusing things by offering that PS4 collection to PS5 PS+ subscribers. It's obviously a response to Gamepass, but they already have a service - PS Now - which could be a Gamepass contender, and not adding these games to PS Now but adding them to PS+ is blurring the lines between the two services in my opinion. I think now more than ever, Sony needs to be offering a combined service, a PS Plus Ultimate if you like, which gives full access to both services. Because there is literally only one possible outcome for PS Now with this new service - less subscribers. People's PS Now subscriptions will lapse, and they'll see those games on PS+ and think, well I don't need PS Now any more. I don't think the numbers will be huge, but there will definitely be some who don't bother renewing their Now sub.

That's what I think anyway - could be well off the mark, but that's probably how I'd be looking at it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Also, don't know how many of you were in the TCGS stream last night, but that was a bit weird, wasn't it... Dave joked we should invite Iain Lee, so I did. Then he turned up, defended JK Rowling for a bit, then seemed to leave. I really like Iain Lee, but it was quite an odd thing to happen!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

There have been rumours about FF16 floating around for a while, and it turns out all of them were true. Namely that the studio and main producer in charge of 14 are also making this, and the return to a more straightforward fantasy setting. There was news about how one of the main combat designers of DMC and Dragon's Dogma had joined this studio too, and you can definitely see that influence as well.
Sinclair Gregstrum

The PS+ Collection thing seems like a bit of a lame bone to through the Playstation fanbase who are looking at Game Pass and xCloud with envious eyes. All the third party stuff going in there is on, or has been on, Game Pass and those first party games would I imagine have been largely played by most PS5 early adopters at this point. If they haven't played them it's probably because they don't want to, as they're all cheap as chips at this point. Would certainly be appealing if you were an Xbox or Nintendo gamer looking to jump into the Playstation ecosystem this gen though.

Having been fortunate to recently come into a little bit a spending money (plus I've got a One X and PS4 Pro to sell), I'll also be pre-ordering Series X for launch along with the PS5, but if push comes to shove it will be the PS5 I'll cancel. I must say I'm starting to really get those next gen feels now though. Exciting times!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Scrustle wrote: September 17th, 2020, 10:28 am There have been rumours about FF16 floating around for a while, and it turns out all of them were true. Namely that the studio and main producer in charge of 14 are also making this, and the return to a more straightforward fantasy setting. There was news about how one of the main combat designers of DMC and Dragon's Dogma had joined this studio too, and you can definitely see that influence as well.
Despite claiming to be a fan of the series, I've only ever played 6, 7, 8, 10 and half of 9. I've been wanting to play 15 for a while though, and it's on PS Now at the moment so might give it a try.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Alex79uk wrote: September 17th, 2020, 11:26 am Despite claiming to be a fan of the series, I've only ever played 6, 7, 8, 10 and half of 9. I've been wanting to play 15 for a while though, and it's on PS Now at the moment so might give it a try.
I wouldn't worry Alex - I think you can definitely claim to be a fan based on the hundreds of hours you've put in there!

A really interesting article from Wesley Yin-Poole at Eurogamer about the misleading messaging from Sony over recent months. He's not wrong...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... t#comments

Personally I've never been a fan of Sony or Playstation as businesses/brands, as this isn't the first (and won't be last) time they've behaved in this way, but it's their talented studios and the amazing games they create that keep me coming back in spite of it all.

Really we should be voting with our wallets and stop supporting companies that behave in anti-consumer and unethical ways. But then I've just pre-ordered a PS5, making me a hypocritical idiot, so what do I know...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

There's just so much they could do better, I feel. I must admit, there is a slight sense of disappointment this being the first time in 20 years than the PlayStation won't be my first purchase in a new generation, but I said months ago, if they don't at least match Xbox with regard to backwards compatibility, then I'm switching. And I didn't even believe myself when I said it, but with everything, the backwards compatibility, Gamepass, pricing, Xbox All Access, that really made my mind up for me. And people often say 'blah blah backwards compatibility is nice but nobody has that as their main reason for buying a console', well, they do! And I can't be the only one. Sony's absolute refusal to acknowledge their incredible back catalogue other than via a streaming service (and even then, not every first party game is on there) just makes it a second choice for me going forward.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I'm in the same boat Alex. Earlier this year I would have never have thought in a million years that I would lean more towards Xbox as my first purchase this coming gen, but they have done a lot to convince me. I think owning an Xbox One X has helped as it majorly impressed me and I expect the same with Series X. I must admit I'm not too fussed about BC for 360 games, but it will be important to me that I can play Xbox One games through Game Pass.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Alex79uk wrote: September 17th, 2020, 10:08 am that was a bit weird, wasn't it...
I think he's having a tough time at the moment, from the recent stuff I've seen. Hope he either finds something he enjoys doing or gets some support/rest.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Sony have some serious communication/marketing issues this time around. I mean it can be bad sometimes but this seems far worse than usual. I was pretty much in agreement with Wesley Yin-Poole's article linked above.

And to add to it, Jim Ryan apparently told the Washington Post afterwards that 99% of PS4 games will be compatible with PS5. Stick it in your own marketing material!!! Its just a mess. The console itself doesn't seem too bad, the price is what was expected too, there shouldn't be this level of negativity afterwards yet there rightly is.

It irks me that Horizon: Forbidden West is a cross-gen title. I was really excited for it as a PS5 exclusive. Of Sony's studios, Guerrilla were the one I most wanted to see a pure next-gen game from. Now they likely wont have one until maybe 2024??

Aside from that, I'm really interested to see how this seemingly FF14-inspired FF16 turns out. I thought for a while that it was just bait and that it would be an expansion for 14. How the hell will Yoshida handle being producer/director on the ongoing FF14 and producer on 16, two of Square-Enix's biggest things for the next 3-5 years?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Days Gone is the marquee title for October's PS NOW update. I'll say it again in case anyone is on the fence, but it's one of the best exclusives of the generation, and absolutely worth playing, especially for (sort of) free.

Also, Friday The 13th. Definitely up for a game of this if anyone else fancies it, been wanting to try it for a while.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Seconded regarding Days Gone
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/07 ... -detailed/

Pleased that these changes have been made to the Trophy system. I am by no means a trophy chaser but I do like how now the rarity of trophies will be taken into account. It should lead to fewer of these 5 minute platinum games getting made.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Interesting news on the official PlayStation blog. The list of Ps4 games not compatible with PS5 has been released and they’ve also said Ps4 controllers work on the console but for ps4 games. I’m really pleased about that as I’ll mainly play my ps4 games at first!

PS4 only games
DWVR
Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
Just Deal With It!
Shadow Complex Remastered
Robinson: The Journey
We Sing
Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
Shadwen
Joe's Diner
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Bizarrely random selection of games there. I wonder if they're the only ones, or the only ones they've mentioned so far..?
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

They said 99.9% of games will work so I figure that the list would be small. Just not that small! The only one I own is Robinson: The Journey which is one of the the prettiest and dullest games I’ve ever played and not worth a revisit.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I suspect the reason why those games aren't supported is because of convoluted legal reasons. Afro Samurai 2 got nuked off online stores almost immediately after it launched because it was an unfinished mess. They even gave refunds to everyone who bought it. So there might have been some sort of contractual screw-up there. And I remember back with the original version of Shadow Complex, that got taken down for licensing reasons, making it unavailable for years until the remaster came out. Maybe that version has some similar deal going on.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Sony making a statement? PS5 games on Plus at launch...

November Plus games are:

Bugsnax (PS5)
Hollow Knight and the second Shadow of Mordor game (PS4)