The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Buckled Kipper

Re: PlayStation Vita

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Little Big Planet is getting some great reviews including a 9 from Edge. General consensus seems to be that it's the best LBP yet.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Man, I can't wait for LBP Vita. Reviews have me pumped!
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I'm very new to the Vita, having only got mine this week. I actually got it via another forum user after posting a couple of questions while I was weighing up whether to get one, so I got a very good used deal with Uncharted, Gravity Rush and Lumines to get me started. So far I have only managed to get a couple of hours playing it, but I have really enjoyed it.

The device itself is very nicely finished, and it is actually about the same weight as my phone, so should be nice and comfortable to hold for longer play sessions. Everyone mentions the impressive screen (and it is) but I was also pleased by how responsive the touch was on it.

I have played the first chapter of Uncharted, and although I didn't think it was the type of game I was getting the Vita for, I am looking forward to going back to it. The chapter lengths are about right for a portable, which I think will encourage me to play levels again looking for items/artifacts and explore without it being a daunting task.

I've also played Lumines, which Nokkon told me I shouldn't overlook, and wow. It's fantastic! I haven't played the previous version, but I'm loving the visual panache that game has, dripping in colour and style. Then there is the rhythmic element, which is superb when playing with headphones, it really draws you into the mechanics.

I'm saving Gravity Rush for now, as I want to try and get into the games I'm playing rather than flit too much (as I did with my DS). So that'll feel like a new purchase in a few weeks.

Having read this thread I'm also keen to check out a couple of smaller games like Tales from Space and Escape Plan too, they both look great on the Youtube videos I checked out.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I refuse to buy a Vita until Parappa the Rapper 3 is on it!!! I will also accept a remake of 2. ;)
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

I'd be happy with Um Jammer Lammy 2... :D
mik

Post by mik »

Gamestop is selling LBP already, for those so inclined. :)
Sean

Post by Sean »

mik wrote:Gamestop is selling LBP already, for those so inclined. :)
Picked it up earlier today, and its so good. The touch controls are brilliant. I need the servers to come online, though.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I've bought Final Fantasy IX from the PSOne Classics section as I couldn't see any Vita RPGs, unless I'm missing something? Maybe some are scheduled to come out soon?

IX works really well on the Vita though, looks good and plays very nicely. I haven't actually played it before, so looking forward to going through the whole thing on Vita.
Marcface

Post by Marcface »

Yeah, I've been thinking of picking up FFIX too, been a LONG time since I've played that game, and I remember loving it.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Yeah FF9 is a great game, certainly the last FF game I enjoyed before X killed my interest stone-dead.

Yeah RPG wise there's little out on Vita, other than Disgea.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

I love FFIX as you can tell from my avatar. For me it's the best of the series and I'm quite tempted to give it another play through. I really miss FF games being that good.

It's my birthday in a couple of weeks and I may have to treat myself to a 32 gig memory card. I know their a rip off, but having that many games loaded and ready to play on my vita will be worth it. I'll probably have to wait till then for LBP to.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Buckled Kipper wrote:I love FFIX as you can tell from my avatar.
Yeah, having not played it before, when I saw the character I couldn't work out why it rang a bell so clearly! Then I realised next time I logged on.

There seem to be quite a few 'Viters' on the forum, shame there isn't multiplayer on Uncharted. I did cave and buy Virtua Tennis though if anyone wants a game? (I'm fairly cack though!)
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

magicjoef wrote:
Buckled Kipper wrote:I love FFIX as you can tell from my avatar.
Yeah, having not played it before, when I saw the character I couldn't work out why it rang a bell so clearly! Then I realised next time I logged on.

There seem to be quite a few 'Viters' on the forum, shame there isn't multiplayer on Uncharted. I did cave and buy Virtua Tennis though if anyone wants a game? (I'm fairly cack though!)
Unfortunately I don't have Virtua Tennis, though I plan to get it in the future. Everybody's Golf is my poison if you fancy comparing online scores in the weekly tournament. Havn't played for a couple of weeks due to my save being erased by my seven year old son, but plan to get back into it big style if anyone fancies the challenge.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Virtua Tennis is probably the Vita game I've played the most, the World Tour mode is brilliant.
Not played Everybody's Golf much yet, really should go back to it...
PlexShaw

Post by PlexShaw »

Guys, what are you thinking? Playing a PSVita game on a PSVita? Don't you realise there are loads of PS1 and PSP titles you could be playing instead? ;)
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Wondered if anyone could actually give me a couple of tips for Final Fantasy IX...

Having not played many FF (a bit of IV on DS) I'm not quite sure if I'm approaching it right. Last night I hit the plant boss thing in the forest, about a couple of hours into the game. I got rinsed. I just had a look online and apparently that boss is rated level 7. No way I've fought enough things to level up that much yet, am I supposed to just run around and grind up to that level?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Indeed you are. That's a large part of FF and most classic JRPG's.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Cool, thanks. Just wanted to check I wasn't going to go about it all wrong.

It's a pretty big blind spot in my gaming, so I'm going to try and play IX on Vita, then I have X and XII lined up for PS2.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

When I'm playing a FF game a usually do a few hours of story then find a spot to grind somewhere near a town, for inns and health buying. Handheld gaming is really suited to grinding as you can just play for the odd hour here and there while watching telly as you don't have to give it to much thought. Then when you sit down for a proper session you'll be at a decent level.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

My brother had grinding down to an art form, he must have spent 10/15 hours grinding on both Final Fantasy 7 and Tactics, quite early on in each game. Simply because he wanted loads of skills/Materia so he would cruise through the rest of the game. Of course he never finished any of the games he did it with, not sure why.