The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
seansthomas

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by seansthomas »

That seemed immense. Loads of nods to PsOne classics too.

A WipEout collection remastered. New Parappa the Rapper. And Crash Bandicoot.

Can't justify two consoles given the amount I play now, so will see what the Switch presentation in January shows. But I think that lot just made up my mind to get a PS4...
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It's not a new Parappa, just a remaster of the first game. Lot of remasters in there actually.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

For purely selfish reasons I want Capcom to announce that the DLC characters of last gen MvC3 will return to the XBLA and PSN stores. Interested to learn more about the new MvC game.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I seem to have missed it. Is there a list of all the announcements, trailers, etc... anywhere?

EDIT: Oh, wow! Wipeout collection and Yakuza Kiwami + 6?! Yay!
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

That will be three Yakuza games in little over a year. I don't think I can cope.

Also while I will definitely pick it up when it drops in price, LocoRoco and its world tilting shoulder button controls always felt like they were perfect for a portable console. Also are the LocoRoco and Patapon remasters just the first games, I preferred the second LocoRoco and I've heard that the second Patapon is the best of the bunch too.

Finally I played the PaRappa demo (I rapped GOOD!), brought back all the memories of playing the PaRappa demo on PS1 (never got the full game).
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

That was awesome. I did audible cheers at several points.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

WINDJAMMERS!!! https://www.destructoid.com/ps4-and-vit ... 2742.phtml

I DON'T CARE IF I'M THE ONLY PERSON ON THIS PLANET WHO IS EXCITED ABOUT THAT!!!

I already spent a crap load of money for an official MVS cart a while ago, with not a single tinge of regret, and by God I'll be buying it again!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Excited for Ni No Kuni 2 (even if the hosts here were cold on it! :P )

Crash looks fun but the Wipeout collection looks pretty half-assed.

There are nine modes available in total:
Zone, Tournament, Speed Lap, Time Trial, and Single Race from HD
Zone Battle, Eliminator, and Detonator from Fury
Career Mode from 2048

As for Last of Us
Spoiler: show
.......I think I'm in the minority here but I absolutely hated the game. Not so much the gameplay or overall story, but the ending.

Joel is a selfish idiot who condemned the world to death because he couldn't get over the death of his daughter and killed a lot of innocent people in the process.

I found it really repulsive and it soured the entire game for me. I realise I'm probably the only one who thinks this. Needs of the many and all that.
It's interesting that Druckman wrote this and Uncharted 4, and both are about being selfish instead of using common sense. I really don't want to play any more games he writes.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Definitely looking forward to Ni No Kuni 2 as well. Despite the problems of the first game I still liked it.

I remember starting Last of Us ages ago, and playing for a bit, then not coming back to it. I made the decision to listen to the Last of Us episode, regardless of spoilers... maybe I'll give it another shot later on, but it just wasn't resonating with me. Maybe it was all the post-apocalyptic fiction happening at the time, in many different media, and I was getting a bit over it.

There's so many Yakuza releases! I still have a PS3 copy of Ryū ga Gotoku Kenzan! on my shelf... one of these days...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ThirdDrawing wrote:
Joel is a selfish idiot who condemned the world to death because he couldn't get over the death of his daughter and killed a lot of innocent people in the process.
In what way?
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Alex79uk wrote:
ThirdDrawing wrote:
In what way?
He killed the scientists who potentially had a way to get the cure to what was happening, and thus doomed all of humanity to whatever was happening to it. I found it incredibly selfish and repulsive. A video game story actually making me angry has only happened twice, and this was the second time. I sold the game as soon as I was finished, and will never touch it again. (The other was Final Fantasy 8).
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ThirdDrawing wrote:
He killed the scientists who potentially had a way to get the cure to what was happening, and thus doomed all of humanity to whatever was happening to it. I found it incredibly selfish and repulsive.
Sounds like a perfectly valid analysis of the ending to me. Joel's decision is indeed very selfish and short-sighted.
ThirdDrawing wrote:
A video game story actually making me angry has only happened twice, and this was the second time. I sold the game as soon as I was finished, and will never touch it again.
But this is what I don't get. Your allergic reaction to it. Do you only like happy endings? Pure and wise heroic protagonists?
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

No, not at all. I usually go for the "evil" ending in the Shin Megami Tensei games for example.....but there was just something about that ending that really, really rubbed me the wrong way. I can't explain it. It just felt out of place to me.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Interesting. I was also shocked by the ending, but I think it is completely in-character for Joel. If anything, I like how powerful and uncompromising it is.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I felt it was a little more ambiguous than that. Do I spoiler a game this old? Yes. Yes I do.
Joel is initially ok that Ellie has to die in order for the cure to be found, but he learns that Ellie isn't the first 'immune' person they've had in the lab, so he finds it harder to rationalise the sacrifice if it could be pointless. He is still putting himself over the rest of humanity, but it's at least a little more than 'they're going to kill my new daughter'.

From the hints in the new trailer and the suggestion in interviews that Ellie now 'hates' something, I'm going to guess that she finally gets the truth out of Joel and decides to punish the Firefly's. Teenage ANGST. At the END OF THE WORLD.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I think that's why it's such a fantastic ending, because while the characters both developed a great deal, and Joel arguably more than Ellie, it was his newfound humanity which made him take such a terribly selfish decision. At the start of the game, he would have killed her himself if the price were right. I don't think it was out of place at all, rather every single event they went through together made his final actions almost inevitable. I would have been a lot more peeved if she'd made some grand sacrifice and he'd let it happen. Human beings are capable of great empathy but they're also fiercely selfish and loyal to a fault with those they love.
Edit: TLOU spoilers
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

KSubzero1000 wrote:Interesting. I was also shocked by the ending, but I think it is completely in-character for Joel. If anything, I like how powerful and uncompromising it is.
To me it was completely the opposite. He insists, all the way up to the end, that he's not going to get attached to Ellie because he doesn't want to get hurt again. Then he suddenly flip flops and says "well all right, I'll kill everyone just for this one girl I've insisted I'm not getting attached to all through the game". It wasn't convincing at all.
Thinking about it, I think it's also that I really hate Neil Druckman's writing. I think Uncharted 2 and 4 are much, much weaker than 1 and 3 and I hated the Last of Us. It makes me disappointed that Amy Hennig got ousted from Naughty Dog when she was the better writer.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Can you guys be careful of spoilers in this non-TLoU thread please, for the sake of others.

Probably better to use either the dedicated thread or the podcast thread for end of game talk.

Thanks!
:)
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Noted. Sorry. :/
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

ThirdDrawing wrote:Noted. Sorry. :/
No worries - added some spoiler tags for ya.
;)