The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Magical_Isopod

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Simonsloth wrote: January 14th, 2021, 11:14 am I turned off direct connection to my PS4 and did it over wi-fi. My PS4 worked as an inferior hotspot when I directly connected.

Welp, that answers my question. Thanks mate. Had no idea it could even connect direct to the PS4 - I keep all my consoles in a server case, so I suspect that's where the issue's coming from. I have a wired switch in there for internet specifically because the enclosure acts as a Faraday box and partially blocks Wi-Fi comms.

Time to do some fiddling after work today.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart launches 11th June!
Necromas

Post by Necromas »

Got some big Final Fantasy news from yesterday.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Gets PS5 Version With New Story Starring Yuffie

FF7R is getting a PS5 version with updated visuals, you can upgrade for free from the PS4 version but you need to have a PS5 with a disc drive of course to use the disc version. There is also a new DLC on the way starring Yuffie and some side characters. You'll get to play Yuffie on her own adventure in Midgar before she presumably connects with the main group in the next Title.

Square Enix Announces Two More Final Fantasy VII Games

Two new mobile games.

First Soldier is a battle royale game, cause of course this is a franchise that needed a battle royale game.

Ever Crisis on the other hand is a mobile game following the plot of the original FFVII, and will include content from the entire compilation of FFVII so it looks like players will get a chance to catch up on stuff like the story from Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, and the other tie-ins.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah that second mobile game looks rather ambitious. Wonder how that's going to pan out. I'll keep an eye out for it, but it's not even out for another year at least is it!
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I held out on FF7R for a PS5 upgrade, now I just need a PS5...

With Yuffie DLC, a battle royale and a mobile game, I'm a little concerned that there's a fair amount of padding and time before a Part 2 is released.
Necromas

Post by Necromas »

I'm just hoping Ever Crisis has no microtransactions and helps pave the way for more high quality mobile games that don't rely on lootboxes and timers. Some of the best options already for full games on mobile are final fantasy dimensions and the mobile releases of the mainline titles.
Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite »

Worth noting regarding the Yuffie Episode and the wider "Canon" of the FF7R is that it includes
Spoiler: show
Deepground and Weiss, both key components of the Dirge of Cerberus game.
Or in other words, the old "FF7 Extended universe" is getting re-incorporated into this new main Remake Canon.

I wonder what the people who were excited that the Remake could go in bold new directions feel about this.

As a long term follower of the Nomura-helmed Kingdom Hearts franchise, all I can say is that this is raising major red flags for me.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I had heard some of that was happening and it has dampened my enthusiasm.
Spoiler: show
I watched Advent Children and played Crisis Core but do not care for their canon
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Necromas wrote: February 27th, 2021, 4:32 am I'm just hoping Ever Crisis has no microtransactions...
I fear you may be sorely disappointed.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Don't know if anyone is the slightest bit interested, but I've been emailed a code for the beta 8.50 PS4 OS software. It's good for 20 users, so if anyone wants it knock yourself out.

N2KD-QKNT-R7EC
Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite »

Question: If a game exists both on the ps3 and ps4 store, and I owned it on ps3, would I be able to re-download it on PS4?

Other question: Does the PS4 have any ps1 and ps2 classic collection? Thats' what I've been downloading the most of.

Final Question: Does anyone know of a way to back-up downloaded ps3 games? In case my old girl gives out, and I need to find a replacement?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

1. Only if it's a game with Cross-Buy (e.g. Journey, Sound Shapes, Flower and a decent number of others):
http://www.vitaplayer.co.uk/playstation ... buy-guide/

2. Quite a few PS2 (often with upscaled graphics and Trophy support added - but these are separate purchases to any that you bought/licensed/'owned' on PS3).

No PS1 at all, other than the odd 'remaster' like PaRappa the Rapper

3. Apparently so (this is the first link I found so please investigate further for other options or guides. I take no responsibility for any mess-ups)!
https://wiki.rpcs3.net/index.php?title= ... on_3_games
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Also, if anyone wonders, you can actually back Vita, PSP and PS1 games up to PC using an app on the Vita (obviously you have to download them to the handheld first), so if you're worried about those disappearing forever, that's another way of archiving them.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Ratchet & Clank 2016 got a patch for 60 FPS! It's a blast.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

Did anyone read the new Schreier article about Sony? https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/statu ... 32065?s=06

I have mixed feelings but also don't know enough about the industry to know how I *should* feel, if that makes sense?

I do think that a TLOU1 remake is very unnecessary, but also that it will be lovely with the graphical and quality of life improvements from the sequel, so I would buy it immediately... but with those pesky mixed feelings again!
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I find this news disappointing in a number of ways. Firstly I don't think enough time has passed to warrant upgrading TLOU graphics as they already looked great on the remake they already did on PS4 so it just seems a waste of resources to me when something new could be created.
Secondly there is the part about not being interested in smaller games like Everybody's Golf anymore.
And thirdly, I saddens me to see how Sony Bend were treated and that we won't be getting a Days Gone sequel.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

More of a confirmation of a trend that was already becoming apparent. Sony have been doing a lot lately to turn me away from them. I used to really like them for their first party Japanese stuff. Some of the best games ever, with a lot of interesting quirky stuff too. That stuff is practically dead now, and we're just left with a singular focus on one type of game that I'm not really interested in outside of God of War. Seems like a really good way for them to creatively stagnate as well, assuming that isn't already happening. In that regard it seems pretty ironic that they're remaking TLOU in particular.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

I didn't think the article's revelation that Sony only really cares about it's biggest AAA titles and studios is much of a revelation at all to be honest. That's been apparent for a long time now, certainly for the whole second half of the PS4 generation. Their first party titles, while largely of incredibly high quality, have been variations on the third person action/adventure genre for years. They have put out some titles outside of that niche (e.g. Dreams and Sackboy recently), but they've always been noticeably smaller in scale and with much less marketing money behind them.

I also don't think it's an approach that will do them any harm at all, at least in the short to medium term. If the quality stays consistent, people (including me!) will still flock to these games and Sony will still sell millions of copies. Whether this reliance on big tent-pole franchises a couple of times a year holds up when Xbox's giant harem of studios actually starts churning out games onto Game Pass in the coming years, it will be fascinating to see!

All the stuff about a TLOU remake I just find bizarre. Remaking a 2013 game that already received an update in 2014 seems odd to say the least. I love both TLOU games but have zero interest in a remake of the first. It's still a gorgeous and very playable video game as it is! Will be interesting to see if that ever sees the light of day, and if so, who buys it!
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

It seems to me that they might be making the same mistake that Microsoft did of relying on a few key franchises which in the long term start to drop in quality slightly. They still sell loads admitedly but but not as much as at their franchises peaks. I don't have the figures but I would be surprised if Halo 5 sold as much as any of the first 3 Halo games.
The fact that they're doing a TLOU remake also makes me more certain we will see a Part 3 at some point.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

You're right they definitely will need to keep an eye on franchise burnout, but at the moment I'd guess they're looking at IP like Bloodborne, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima and Spider-Man that are all on their first iteration (or 1.5 in the case of Spider-Man) and thinking they're a way off that yet.

When you combine those with stalwarts like God of War (particularly since the reboot), TLOU, Ratchet & Clank, Gran Turismo, even Uncharted, all of which still have life in them to varying degrees, I just can't see Sony deviating much from these bankers for a while. At least not until the back half of this generation at the earliest.

I think the only thing that will make them change course is if all the groundwork Microsoft is laying really starts to pay off, and people start picking up Xbox's instead of PS5s in big numbers. For the more hardcore gaming market I can certainly see a potential shift happening when you look at the variety and quality of Xbox's first party studios, and the hopefully fantastic games that should start hitting Game Pass by the end of the year/in 2022.

In terms of the mass, less engaged market though, I almost think Playstation has become too big to fail. The brand and what it offers has become entrenched in popular culture over generations. While they may be making missteps and resting on their laurels in the eyes of the more hardcore gamer, I can't see them screwing up on such a monumental level that will mean the PS5 is anything other than a huge success by the end of the generation, even if it has relinquished some ground to Xbox.