The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
chase210

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by chase210 »

As excited as I am by the Spider-Man limited edition PS4 Pro, I'm much less excited Game isn't selling it without some rubbish headset included.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

HUGE PSN Sales starting today.

Nothing for me there, unfortunately. But there are quite a few gems that others might be interested in.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

KSubzero1000 wrote: July 25th, 2018, 12:44 pm HUGE PSN Sales starting today.

Nothing for me there, unfortunately. But there are quite a few gems that others might be interested in.
Me too, I seem to own most things on there. Would recommend Mortal Kombat X if anyone has been thinking about it
Suits

Post by Suits »

I'm always tempted by the digital sales but never end up getting anything as I always want the physical version.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I picked up Raiden V and SotC, neither of which I've played before and both seem very well regarded for fifteen quid.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm probably going to get the Megadrive collection when I'm paid, although is there a bigger saving for PS+members as I still need to renew mine but was waiting to see what August's free games are, otherwise I'll hang off renewing it till next month.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Alex79uk wrote: July 27th, 2018, 9:18 am I'm probably going to get the Megadrive collection when I'm paid, although is there a bigger saving for PS+members as I still need to renew mine but was waiting to see what August's free games are, otherwise I'll hang off renewing it till next month.
I'm annoyed this exists as it means they'll never make the last gen compilation, which I already own for Xbox 360, backwards compatible. Will probably just have to buy it again I guess :roll:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

If it’s any consolation, the emulation is considerably better on this compilation, and it is very low cost per game.

There are some games missing though (Ecco series perhaps the most striking of the absentees, along with Sonic 3 and S&K).
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah that's weird because they were included on the PS3 collection (well Sonic 3 and Ecco, I don't remember if Sonic and Knuckles was, may have been though).
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: July 27th, 2018, 1:25 pm There are some games missing though (Ecco series perhaps the most striking of the absentees, along with Sonic 3 and S&K).
Huh, I wonder if that's something to do with the Michael Jackson music in it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

We think it might be, but then it's still available on Steam from the same folks so.. possible dlc..?
Sinclair Gregstrum

ratsoalbion wrote: July 27th, 2018, 1:25 pm If it’s any consolation, the emulation is considerably better on this compilation, and it is very low cost per game.

There are some games missing though (Ecco series perhaps the most striking of the absentees, along with Sonic 3 and S&K).
I've seen some reports of stuttering in some of the games eg. Streets of Rage. Have reports of that been exaggerated or has it been patched out?

The fact it's missing Sonic 3, S&K and the Ecco games does slightly nerf the collection for me, even though it does include the likes of Toejam & Earl 1&2 and the Wonderboy games which the last gen one didn't.

Those missing games are just such iconic titles to the system that whatever blockers were in the way for inclusion, they should have been overcome before putting out the collection in my view. People didn't seem to be screaming for the collection before it was announced and the games are already c.25-30 years old, so waiting a bit longer to get it out the door with those games wouldn't have been a huge deal surely...

And if they are added as paid for DLC later then I'll be even more grumpy :evil:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I have the Xbox One version running on Xbox One X and haven't experienced any stuttering issues as yet.
There has been one patch which fixed some niggly stuff.

As ever, the M2 'Sega Vintage Collections' on 360/PS3 and '3D' versions for 3DS are still the top tier of officially emulated versions as far as I'm concerned.

Fortunately M2 are working on Some Switch ports for release soon, starting with Sonic 1 and Thunder Force IV!

I don't really have an issue with paid-for dlc when the collection told me exactly what was in it before I bought it and cost under 50p per game as it is.

FYI, you can get the same emulation wrapper on Steam and buy an even larger selection of titles (including all three Ecco titles) one by one at 79p (or a dollar I guess) a pop if you prefer:
https://store.steampowered.com/sub/102625/

That avenue also opens up the option of different regional variations and even modded ROMs, which the console versions (unsurprisingly) don't support.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Yeah M2 are the dogs danglies and great to hear they'll be putting out some titles on Switch - I'll be all over those!

You're right on the DLC point - you know what you're getting when you buy the collection, and you can choose to buy it or not based on that. I went all 'entitled gamer' for a minute there :lol:

Now that Steam solution sounds brilliant - my only problem is I don't have a PC! I've been a mac-only chap for years now (at work and at home) so I'm a bit stuffed there!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Your August 2018 PS+ games are:

Mafia III (PS4)
Dead by Daylight (PS4)
Knowledge is Power (PS Plus Bonus – PlayLink)
Here They Lie (PS Plus Bonus – PS VR required)
Bound by Flame (PS3)
Serious Sam 3: BFE (PS3)
Draw Slasher (PS Vita)
Space Hulk (PS Vita)

I loved Mafia 1 & 2 but to be honest I'm not sure that Mafia 3 alone is enough to get me to renew my sub this month. The other PS4 game doesn't interest me as I don't play online multiplayer anyway, don't know much about the rest of the bunch other than Serious Sam.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I liked mafia 3 a lot, but it’s not one I’d play through again on PS4 after beating it on XBO.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I think the knock on Mafia III was that there was too much filler; I've heard loads of praise for the game, if you could bypass the padding.

Bound by Flame on the PS3 is, it's not quite Double A, more of a Single A game. I believe there are some good things there but they are buried deep. I hope to go back to it some day but realistically won't.

Here They Lie (VR) - I played the demo and got savagely murdered by a guy with a rabbit head wielding an iron pipe. He was hiding behind an open door. It was very traumatic.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’d say the opening few hours of Mafia 3, and the main missions you get at the end of each region (as you take down its crime boss) are right up there with the best open world games.

The rest is, as you say, a bit too much repetitive filler.

I actually don’t mind that, I quite enjoying the relaxation of tooling around an open world mopping up map icons. It puts me in a similar place to where I am when I’m playing a (good) Dynasty Warriors game.

But yeah, if that stuff bores you to tears, this won’t change your mind.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

My PS+ runs out tomorrow, I’m oddly excited for it to end. I have a couple of games I want to buy in the latest sale because Sony don’t let you purchase games you’ve added via Ps+ for some reason.

Unfortunately fatherhood has rendered me almost useless in terms of getting online, and my gaming time when I do get online cannot justify the cost. I’m also finding the Switch has taken over as my main console and I’m far more likely to play it online when the chances come. Also I honestly can’t remember the last time I downloaded and properly sat down and played a PS+ game. I’ve always felt oddly unattached to them and far more likely to want to play games that are actually mine.

It’s strange, I’ve had PS+ as long as I can remember and I thought I’d be more bothered to be losing it than I am. Perhaps it won’t be forever...
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

hazeredmist wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 10:33 pm My PS+ runs out tomorrow, I’m oddly excited for it to end. I have a couple of games I want to buy in the latest sale because Sony don’t let you purchase games you’ve added via Ps+ for some reason.

Unfortunately fatherhood has rendered me almost useless in terms of getting online, and my gaming time when I do get online cannot justify the cost. I’m also finding the Switch has taken over as my main console and I’m far more likely to play it online when the chances come. Also I honestly can’t remember the last time I downloaded and properly sat down and played a PS+ game. I’ve always felt oddly unattached to them and far more likely to want to play games that are actually mine.

It’s strange, I’ve had PS+ as long as I can remember and I thought I’d be more bothered to be losing it than I am. Perhaps it won’t be forever...
The reason I never bothered with PS+ is probably because I used to spend money on Xbox Live for years. And then one year, when the subscription was expiring, the motivation to renew was gone. Like yourself, I couldn't justify the cost versus the actual usage. So don't worry you're not alone!

And yeah, not bothered by not having PS+ either. There are already sooooo many games in my collection, and finding time is a much bigger challenge.