The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by KSubzero1000 »

This is the logical conclusion of the consumer body choosing convenience over quality control and immediacy over long term sustainability. Once the majority of people decided that they were willing to buy unfinished products made in highly questionable conditions in order to meet arbitrary deadlines and price points, there was no going back to the Golden Age. If anything, it's probably going to get worse in the future. Even Nintendo's legendary quality control is starting to show a few cracks here and there.

DOOM was shipped with an entire mode absent from the disc because people wanted to play the game as fast as possible. But the people in charge of these decisions know that most consumers will put up with it and they have zero financial incentivisation to rectify the situation. If anything, there is arguably even more money to be made from producing a Complete Edition later down the line and selling the same baseline content to their core audience twice. Simple as that.

I buy several games at launch every year, so I am definitely part of the problem. I know some here disagree with that conclusion, but I think it's important to admit one's shortcomings and I'm not proud to occasionally support practices which I believe are hurting the medium in the long run.

PS: The default 500GB HDD of the PS4 is really restrictive if you want to have several games in rotation at any one time and are hesitant to uninstall digital games. I upgraded to 1TB last year and I still have to micro-manage install data every other week.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSub: I can't believe I need a bigger rug!
Spoiler: show
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Go away, you! :lol:
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

If the Switch had current Gen tech and a hard drive, I'm sure it would have huge downloads too. Thing is, it's a last Gen console with last Gen file sizes. Sony can, however, be faulted for using obsolete mechanical drives and having shit download speeds. There was one game (I wanna say Until Dawn?) where I started the update before I went to bed, woke up, and it still wasn't done.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I don't think Sony does have poor download speeds though, I can download a GB in one minute from their server. I watched the other day for ten minutes whilst it downloaded a 10.40GB file in super speed.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Chopper wrote: April 11th, 2019, 12:11 pm KSub: I can't believe I need a bigger rug!
Spoiler: show
Haha!!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Fuck sake. My PSN has been hacked. Some utter bastard has bought FIFA 19 on PS3 for £55.

:cry:

I literally can't afford to lose that money and Sony are notorious shits for refunds aren't they?

Fuck sake :(
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Really really sorry to hear that. :(

Make sure to cancel your credit card asap if you aren't using prepaid.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh god yeah, thanks, changed password but didn't even think to remove card. Enabled two step verification too.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Good, that's always the first step and it can easily slip under the radar.

May I ask if you're sharing your account with anybody else? Like perhaps somebody in your household on a secondary console?

On my end it says "Last Online 28 Minutes Ago | PS3", if that helps.

EDIT: I wonder if the name change feature update yesterday may have inadvertently caused yet another security flaw on PSN.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Bad luck, Alex. That's rough. Fingers crossed Sony come through and do the right thing.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ah man, sorry to hear that.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks guys, fingers and toes crossed :(
KSubzero1000 wrote: April 11th, 2019, 8:34 pm May I ask if you're sharing your account with anybody else? Like perhaps somebody in your household on a secondary console?

On my end it says "Last Online 28 Minutes Ago | PS3", if that helps.
That's just my girlfriend, she uses it to watch Netflix in bed. I'm hoping they see I haven't played a game on my PS3 in years, have never requested a refund in over ten years on PSN, along with the probably £1000's I've spent on adds up to me being legit about saying I've not purchased it.

I first thought (I wasn't at home when it happened) my girlfriend had left the kids with the controller whilst she had a shower or something but she said they were in bed already. I can't understand how it's happened or what someone could even do just buying a game on my account when they can't even play it. Fortunately, now I'm home, the game hadn't been automatically downloaded to my console so I'm hoping they'll refund as per their policy (of refunding if the game hasn't been downloaded). This is all we need really.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I don't know if it's a standard thing but in addition to accessing my account with two-step, I also have to input my 3 digit CVV code any time I wish to make a purchase too.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

So they'll refund, but only to my PSN wallet :cry:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

UPDATE:
After sending my console serial numbers to PlayStation, it has turned out the game was purchased on my PS3. I have identified the problem. My Dual Shock 3 has gone haywire, sending button press inputs to the console when no button is being pressed. This is hugely annoying for two reasons. Firstly, the pad is fucked. Secondly, Sony refuse to refund to card because "I" purchased the game. Bastards.

So now I'm stuck with £54.99 in my PlayStation wallet. God dammit. I thought what the hell, I may as well get Sekiro then if I'm stuck with the credit anyway. Its £59.99. Arrrrgh! It's not that I object spending an extra fiver over the credit I have, but there is no way I'd ever spend sixty quid on a game I can't even trade back in. I'll sit and wait for a sale thankyouverymuch.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Alex79uk wrote: April 13th, 2019, 4:58 pm I thought what the hell, I may as well get Sekiro then if I'm stuck with the credit anyway. Its £59.99. Arrrrgh! It's not that I object spending an extra fiver over the credit I have, but there is no way I'd ever spend sixty quid on a game I can't even trade back in. I'll sit and wait for a sale thankyouverymuch.
Well, speaking of sales, Nioh: Complete Edition is on sale for £15
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hmm that is very tempting. I did want to play that at some point, and I heard on the podcast you got it rather than Sekiro for the same reasons! How you finding it?

EDIT: It's back up to £45 :cry:
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: April 13th, 2019, 4:58 pm UPDATE:
After sending my console serial numbers to PlayStation, it has turned out the game was purchased on my PS3. I have identified the problem. My Dual Shock 3 has gone haywire, sending button press inputs to the console when no button is being pressed. This is hugely annoying for two reasons. Firstly, the pad is fucked. Secondly, Sony refuse to refund to card because "I" purchased the game. Bastards.

So now I'm stuck with £54.99 in my PlayStation wallet. God dammit. I thought what the hell, I may as well get Sekiro then if I'm stuck with the credit anyway. Its £59.99. Arrrrgh! It's not that I object spending an extra fiver over the credit I have, but there is no way I'd ever spend sixty quid on a game I can't even trade back in. I'll sit and wait for a sale thankyouverymuch.
Oh no! What are the chances the sequence of button presses the controller entered would buy a game for you?

Can you gift games on psn? I’m pretty sure you can’t. That way you could find someone who wants a game and buy it for them and they could give you the cash?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I know, total freak accident. I had a look online to see if anyone else had it happen and found nothing.

Yeah I don't think you can gift games. Oh well lesson learned. I've spent a tenner of it on a Lego Marvel game for the kids so they're pleased at least!