The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Flabyo »

I think it’s not so much that Sony have never done it before that is the issue, it’s that the xbox series x *does* work with all the XBO pads.

Admittedly the only new function on the XSX pad over the XBO one is a dedicated share button.

(Also, I’m kind annoyed that my PS4 fight stick will need yet *another* convertor to work on the ps5.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Flabyo wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 10:43 pm I think it’s not so much that Sony have never done it before that is the issue, it’s that the xbox series x *does* work with all the XBO pads.

Admittedly the only new function on the XSX pad over the XBO one is a dedicated share button.

(Also, I’m kind annoyed that my PS4 fight stick will need yet *another* convertor to work on the ps5.
Yes that's exactly it. You've got one platform offering full backwards compatibility of accessories and one not, so it's fair that some people are raising eyebrows.

Equally the people saying "yeah but it's not a surprise is it" are also right. It's not a surprise. It's pretty much exactly how it's always been and Sony are resolutely following the traditional norms on most of the moves they're making with PS5, so this was to be expected.

All reactions are understandable really!

What I don't really buy is the excuse of "the new features e.g. haptics means DS4 was never going to work anyway". The two controllers are basically the same in terms of layout and buttons, plus I'd wager a lot of games other than AAA Sony first party exclusives won't use the haptics for anything more than fancy rumbling. There's not really much reason why you couldn't use a DS4 as second pad for a PS5 beat 'em up or split screen racing game. Sony have just decided they don't want you to because it makes them less money. And that's ok. They are a business after all, and the market leader, so they have very little motivation to behave any other way.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Some cracking games coming to PS Now this month.

Hitman 2
Dead Cells
Greedfall

All of which I want to play! Still got Metro Exodus and Dishonored 2 from last month to get through, too.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Alex79uk wrote: August 4th, 2020, 4:53 pm Some cracking games coming to PS Now this month.

Hitman 2
Dead Cells
Greedfall

All of which I want to play! Still got Metro Exodus and Dishonored 2 from last month to get through, too.
Only ever heard good things about the rebooted Hitman games! The setups people create for the assassinations is scarily well orchestrated :twisted:
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

So what did you all think of last nights State of Play. Given I had little expectation going in, I thought it was decent. I must give some credit to Toys for Bobs for making me excited about a Crash Bandicoot game, I thought it looked great.

I saw some reaction on Twitter from a couple of people bemoaning the fact that there was still no new price or release date for PS5. I agree that it's annoying but I don't know why they were so angry when Sony made it clear before the event that no such details would be revealed in it.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Vader Immortal I'll get day one, perfect excuse to dust off the VR.

Control DLC I'll buy once it finally comes to game pass as I finished it on Xbox One
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I thought it was a surprisingly good show. Not sure why people are complaining about it not covering PS5 stuff. I mean, I guess I do know why. People are ravenous for PS5 info, even when told explicitly that it's not coming. But actually there ended up being more PS5 news than I was expecting.

But in terms of stuff I'm personally interested in, there were a couple of updates on some indie games that were a nice surprise. The Braid remaster was very unexpected, and the timing was a fun coincidence too, with that game being on my mind recently.

And I have had my eye on The Pathless for a while too, and was starting to wonder when we would get some new info on that, since it's been ages. So I was glad to see a pretty big showcase for it, and was pleasantly surprised to see the game is much more ambitious than I was expecting. From trailers before, I has a suspicion the game might have been totally on rails, but then it turned out to be the complete opposite. Exploring around that open world with that really smooth and satisfying looking movement looks like a lot of fun, and I like the idea of there being Zelda-like dungeons too, and the bosses look cool as well.

Godfall is continuing to look pretty solid too. Even though what they went in to was stuff that one could probably assume just by looking at earlier gameplay clips, it's still cool to see the combat looks fun and well put together, on a base level at least. But I wonder exactly how that game is structured. Has there ever been any mention of that? It doesn't look open world, so is it completely linear, or what?

Although there's another piece of news coming out of this show that I think deserves attention. That cyberpunk game Aeon Must Die has a lot of drama surrounding it. Allegedly, the entire studio working on it was fired shortly before this announcement, after suffering awful crunch and terrible mismanagement beforehand, including having to use pirated software for their work computers. Supposedly in response to this, the publisher effectively stole the IP from the studio, instead of responding to cries for help from the workers before this all hit the fan. Although all the details are still a bit hazy right now, and I suspect this isn't the last we'll hear about this.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I'm really happy about Braid, been hoping it'd come to Switch for a while now. Wonder if they might consider The Witness if it does well.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

September 2020 PS+ games:

Street Fighter V
PUBG

Not really interested in either, but they're not bad games. They've both been on PS Now for ages, mind.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Will hopefully give SFV another lease of life til SFVI eventually arrives. As much as I got into SFIV way more, SFV is a good game. Disappointed to have missed the C&R fight clubs so far. I was struggling with RSI for a couple of weeks and then had some family stuff of late.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Don’t go holding your breath for sf6, rumour has it it’s been going very badly indeed, not helped by Ono leaving the company (seemingly because of this, but likely just as much because of Covid. It does seem Japanese developers are being hit much harder by the ‘everyone works from home’ reality of game dev than western developers in general)

The newly announced dlc for 5 runs until the end of next year, so it’s going to be 2022 at the earliest for any sign of 6 now.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Should be very interesting. They're really going to have to come out swinging.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Sony had another big PS5 showcase, with a bunch of game news and a price/release date reveal.

Price is £450 for the disc drive version, £360 for digital only
Release date Nov 19th

I was pretty pleased with the Final Fantasy 16 reveal. Looks like they're continuing with the realtime action combat system, and this one looks good. Building on what 7R had.

There was also a reveal of Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition, that had me hyped. Playable Vergil, ray tracing at 60fps, and a bunch of other additions too. Also apparently Vergil will be DLC for the current version of the game too.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Digital version for me at some point although the fact Horizon 2 is coming to ps4 has made me not be in as big of a rush as I was before. Great price point in between the series s and both top spec disked consoles.

The new PS+ I have little interest in as I already digitally own all the games listed anyway on my ps4. Would've preferred Ps Now rolled in instead.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’m sold on price and the incoming bits and pieces. My one question is will by entire digital and physical back catalogue make the leap. If not I’m out.

I can’t keep accruing consoles!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Should I not be surprised by Final Fantasy XVI? Was this rumored and stuff heavily, because I was very surprised to see it announced.

I want to know what they were talking about with the PS4 games being downloadable. Like, purchase individually or are we in Gamepass territory?
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Preordered the all digital PS5 this morning. I went all digital this gen so I've got a load of games to play on it (and a fair old backlog) while there are lulls, and I'll just flog my Pro for whatever I get for it. Not interested in the Xbox for the moment. I've played one game on GP this year, it doesn't offer me enough that I value.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

duskvstweak wrote: September 17th, 2020, 12:21 am Should I not be surprised by Final Fantasy XVI? Was this rumored and stuff heavily, because I was very surprised to see it announced.
First I'd seen or heard anything about it. Hadn't even been aware it was in development (I mean beyond the fact there is obviously always one in development, but you know what I mean).
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

There’s been pretty strong rumour ff16 has been in dev for a while, but you’d need to be someone who follows the square producers quite closely to work out which one isn’t talking much about what they’re working on at the moment and join the dots.