The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by ratsoalbion »

The 360 version plays identically to Sensible World of Soccer 96/97 on Amiga, just FYI. The MD version was a port based around the 92/93 version.

Not saying that doesn’t mean people don’t prefer the earlier version, but the XBLA version was 1:1 if you turned on the classic graphics and sound. Different controller of course!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I just think it was a mixture of the controller and playing it on the big HDTV. It just never quite felt the same.
Suits

Post by Suits »

14” CRT and Ian Wroght.

On a SNES.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Was that the bootleg version? I think it had Gerry Lineker on the back.

:lol:
Suits

Post by Suits »

Could have been, I remember all the vowels being mixed up to avoid licensing issues 😄.

Gameplay was still rad though 😎.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh yeah, of course! I just thought you'd make a typo, haha.

:lol:
Suits

Post by Suits »

Still refer to him as Roggtt now with all the boys :lol: .
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

What even is Sensible Soccer? European folks talk about it all the time, but I've literally never heard of it over here.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

PlayStation Classic was on mad clearance in Canada today. The Source (formerly Radio Shack) had them for $20. Sold out, of course. Best Buy had them for $30, and I managed to get an open box one. $30 for a weekend modding project? That's one hell of a great thing.

The PS Classic may be rancid arse as a $120 CDN consumer product, but as a $30 emulator box in a retro chic casing? It's one hell of a great product - something I can bring to my mom's so she can play Sonic and Earthworm Jim like back in the day.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Just an update on the PS Classic... This is easily the smoothest mod experience I've ever had. The software folks have created for this thing is absolutely stellar. You can either use a REALLY easy to use server to upload games directly to your PSC, or if you wanna get really crazy, you can get into other emulators and stuff. They're even working on Dreamcast and PSP support with surprising success.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Can anyone explain ray-tracing to an idiot? Because ever since I heard the term I'd thought it was that technique used in the movie, A Scanner Darkly, where they animate over live footage. But it's not! Online I read its something to do with reflections and stuff, but we already get those in games, so I'm not sure what it is!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

You’re thinking of rotoscoping (A Scanner Darkly, the original Prince of Persia, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves).

You will have heard the term before though, the Amiga had ray-traced graphics: https://bytecellar.com/2018/08/31/ray-t ... new-thing/

There was also this game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Tracers

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Alex79uk wrote: April 25th, 2019, 7:00 am Can anyone explain ray-tracing to an idiot? Because ever since I heard the term I'd thought it was that technique used in the movie, A Scanner Darkly, where they animate over live footage. But it's not! Online I read its something to do with reflections and stuff, but we already get those in games, so I'm not sure what it is!
In the simplest terms, it's a series of algorithms that "intelligently" predict the paths of light sources - in Quake engine games, for instance, "light" was sort of a trick, just recoloured textures that loosely match up with sources of nearby "light". Raytracing is emulation of actual light sources - sending thousands or millions of "rays" from the light source to objects that light should rationally hit. Not only that, but it also determines what surfaces are reflective, and bends the rays appropriately. As you can imagine, this is a major resource hog - the tech's been in existence for quite a while, it just hasn't been feasible on consumer grade electronics until recent advances in affordable processing.

Metro Exodus and Battlefield 5 use raytracing, albeit at a somewhat rudimentary scale compared to what the PS5 is rumoured to be capable of. But playing those games on a high end PC or premium console revisions should give you a rough idea of how those lighting systems will work.

Here's Digital Foundry discussing the tech:
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Oof, Leon giving Sonic the Hedgehog a run for his money with that response speed. Speedy lad!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

On the topic of ray tracing and whether the PS5 will be capable of it, this recent video Digital Foundry did about Minecraft made me wonder if something like this mod might be more along the lines of what they might be able to achieve. I hear that this isn't actually "real" ray tracing and is instead path tracing, but I don't really know what the difference is. Supposedly a less accurate but also less computationally intensive version of the effect? But judging by the hardware they are using in this test, I think perhaps it wouldn't be impossible for the PS5 to do something similar at 30fps, and maybe if they stuck to 1440p, with the help of that checkerboard upscaling they use on the Pro already.

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah thanks all, yes I have a much better idea of what it is now! It looks impressive, even in that 'not real ray tracing' Minecraft demo!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

First review I've seen for Days Gone isn't particularly enthusiastic.

"a shallow copy of many better open-world action games"

www.eurogamer.net/amp/2019-04-25-days-g ... tion-games
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Currently averaging a little over 71%:
https://www.gamerankings.com/ps4/191628 ... index.html
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh that's not bad then, about as expected really.