Battlefield 3

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
RoboticMonk3y

Re: Battlefield 3

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Fucking cracked it!
Scout helicopter, machine gunning men off rooftops, bastard snipers. So pleased wirh myself.
Starting to get a handle on choppers too, smooth gentle small input.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Just spent a couple of hours on the new maps - my word, they are EPIC!

First game on Alborz was amusing because not only was I was on the Russian side in the game but also in a squad with some genuine Russian players which made for some authentic sounding squad chat!

The maps definitely have a Bad Company 2 vibe about them, in particular Harvest Day; Cold War, White Pass, Nelson Bay and Atacama Desert, but with lashings of Frostbite 2.0 destruction and insane amounts of space.

Gonna be a late one tonight methinks!
chunky_Monkey

Post by chunky_Monkey »

just read some of the patch notes for 4 (link here http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/ne ... 27/6/True/)
nothing about comms or squad joining again??
Cress1968

Post by Cress1968 »

I knew I shouldnt have defected to xbox version lol Its going to be a long week waiting for this to drop
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Cress1968 wrote:I knew I shouldnt have defected to xbox version lol Its going to be a long week waiting for this to drop
Hear that?

That's the sound of karma for your defection! :twisted:
Cress1968

Post by Cress1968 »

JaySevenZero wrote:
Cress1968 wrote:I knew I shouldnt have defected to xbox version lol Its going to be a long week waiting for this to drop
Hear that?

That's the sound of karma for your defection! :twisted:
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: lol
Sean

Post by Sean »

So, I'm super late on this, but, even though I didn't particularly like the beta, I'm thinking about getting into this now. I guess I'm sucked into the hype, and, finally getting tired of MW3.

Question though, do I *really* need to get all the expansions? Or can I skip one or two? Not sure whether to buy the vanilla version, of the new "premium" version. And I'd really rather not spend a whole $60.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

They have nerfed my faveouite tank technique. :(
I used to fire the main cannon, then switch to the srcondary shotgun for a neat 1-2 hit but since the patch today, you have to wait for a reload before you can fire off the second shot :(
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Sean wrote:
Question though, do I *really* need to get all the expansions? Or can I skip one or two? Not sure whether to buy the vanilla version, of the new "premium" version. And I'd really rather not spend a whole $60.
You can still get games with no add on packs at all.
Just be sure to have someone show you how to navigate the server browsing...
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Sean wrote:So, I'm super late on this, but, even though I didn't particularly like the beta, I'm thinking about getting into this now. I guess I'm sucked into the hype, and, finally getting tired of MW3.

Depends entirely on how much you plan to play it.

I'd personally say that if you are going to pick up BF3 then the Premium Edition would be the one to get as it would be worse to get the vanilla version, just to find out you really enjoy it and then decide you want the whole package. The default disc version has nine maps, the expansions add another twenty so you might also find you choice of servers would be greatly diminished as the majority of players have the content.

This is also a game, as we have already mentioned, that relies more heavily on team play than most to get the most from the experience and if those you would play with happen to have the packs then you would be omitted from joining them unless they stick to playing just the vanilla maps themselves. Another thing I guess, is just like any other full price game, it's bound to drop in price at some point too - so maybe that would be the best time to purchase.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Wait, 29 maps!? On the PS3, as well?

Holy shit. Think that might have been the deal breaker.
TomFum

Post by TomFum »

Logged on to battlelog lastnight to find the update downloaded and the website updates updated to.

So were all ready to go but we have to wait till the 11th FFS.

dont like the look of some of those new assignments though, i mean im kinda usless at flying jets so i can kiss those goodbye, but it seems like the rest are doable.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Sean wrote:Wait, 29 maps!? On the PS3, as well?

Holy shit. Think that might have been the deal breaker.
Exactly, and besides go vanilla and you'll be missing out on all of this!

Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

War never looked so good remind me why people play Call of Duty again?

I wish I had the time to play more online shooters but with all the games up to review on Cane and Rinse and ever expanding back catalogue of new releases has meant I've barely played any online games consistency with friends for quite a long time

Still with all the Battlefield community nights we have planned in the pipeline I'm sure I'll have the opportunity to jump into a few games with you guys.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I updated my PS3 BF3 and downloaded the new content last night, ready for a window in my gaming schedule.
:D
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

After getting my ass severely handed to me over the last few days, combined squad tactics with the C&R regulars last night started to turn the tide against some of those who fought against us - good times. This Armoured Kill expansion is superb yet intensely punishing in equal measures.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

What tank loadouts are you using Jay?
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

i'm really out of the loop when it comes to BF3, i think i last played around January! just wondered, if i have the vanilla edition (which i do on 360) are all these extra maps free like on BFBC2? I seem to remember they were free so long as you bought the game new? Can i get the premium maps without having to rebuy the game?

edit - just had a quick look and i can see only the first DLC was free, the rest are a tenner each
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:What tank loadouts are you using Jay?

Actual MBT loadout is as it was before. Armored Kill seems to be more geared towards the new Tank Destroyer vehicle. It's got all the usual loadouts to unlock, Thermal, Proximity and a variety of rocket and cannon accessories. The new mobile artillery vehicles are intriguing to say the least. At first they are just for helping suppress enemy forces until you get some unlocks for it. Its quite difficult to get kills with it as it fires rockets diagonally where you aim, then they drop onto said target area. According to Battlelog the unlocks make kills gradually easier to get(obvs). One unlock gives your rockets the ability to lock onto nearby aircraft, another turns your rockets into white phosphorous just above their target(better kill spread) and i particularly like the unlock that when you know an enemy soldier is beside your launcher you can deploy smoke(similar to the tanks) but this smoke burns its victims to death. Quads are back and are very useful to get somewhere in a hurry, but they as usual have no unlocks.
TomFum

Post by TomFum »

Come on PS3 people, wheres the videos, the screen shots. COME ON!!!!!!!

you dont know what a twat it is waiting grrrrrr lol