Battlefield 3

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Battlefield 3

Post by JaySevenZero »

With the forthcoming release of the Battlefield 3 Premium Edition there's now even less reason not to pick this up if you're on the prowl for a first person shooter that pretty much kicks the arse of every other one currently on the market in the area of quantity and quality.

C'mon, if FPS's are your thing - how can you not be impressed by this?!

This game is fast becoming my most played shooter, quickly catching up to the previous holder of that particular title, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

So, If there are any of you who play this on the PS3 and are not already on my friends list, feel free to send a request over to Krylon70, where we can endeavor to create all kinds of destructive mayhem in this delicious playground of virtual demolition.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Battlefield 3

Post by ratsoalbion »

I'm very much looking forward to getting back on this once there's a lull in the C&R podcast schedule (the forthcoming break between Volumes 1 & 2).
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Very much looking forward to Armoured Kill. I have my premium ready to go, just waiting for the biggest map evar to drop and i'll be there!
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

There are, once again, four new maps in this latest expansion - Bandar Desert, Alborz Mountain, Death Valley & Armoured Shield - of those I'm particularly eager to see Alborz, as I believe that's the one with all the snow and lots of trees. I guess it's also the map that, at least visually, resembles many of the best Bad Company 2 maps and I wonder if this is deliberate on the part of DICE in an attempt to try and please everyone (I must say, for the most part, it would seem to be working!)
Kayin Amoh

Post by Kayin Amoh »

Ain't gonna lie, the rented servers thing has been a bastard for casual play. Choosing quick match and getting stuck on a server that'll kick you if you use shotguns and have 500% ticket times isn't a fun experience.

Haven't really played since then.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Kayin Amoh wrote:Ain't gonna lie, the rented servers thing has been a bastard for casual play. Choosing quick match and getting stuck on a server that'll kick you if you use shotguns and have 500% ticket times isn't a fun experience.

Haven't really played since then.
Which is precisely why you shouldn't use Quick Match - none of the regulars use that option anyway, since it only takes a few seconds longer on the server browser to find a game anyway. Although without wanting to sound elitist, I don't know if Battlefield 3 is the right game for the casual player as it can be punishing for even the more experienced players from time to time. This game, perhaps more than most shooters, relies heavily on both map knowledge and squad play for it to be its most rewarding - without one or the other I can imagine its appeal could wear thin very quickly.

Personally, I love it - had a blinding game on Metro tonight - 1500 tickets and 1 hour 9 mins of pure, adrenaline pumping mayhem - match ended in a defeat but with a personal score of 76 kills to 31 deaths I can deal with it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

As we know, the whole rent-a-server thing caused quite a debate on Twitter and the previous forum (and would have been the podcast too but for David Turner wrongly feeling that he didn't have enough to say on the matter).

While I would agree that it has made Quick Match a non-starter, I don't feel the initiative has been detrimental to the game experience as a whole. You maybe just have to spend a couple of extra minutes choosing a game at the start. You'll soon have a list of favourite servers where you can be almost guaranteed a great game - something you could never do with Quick Match.
I still consider myself a casual BF3 player, I just take a slightly different path into my online matches.
TomFum

Post by TomFum »

This videos a few months old but i do like it, gameplay from a bunch of us.

Still loveing this game.

Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 »

I may jump back in when the premium edition comes out. Enjoyed my time with it but got frustrated at continually getting booted from paid servers.
Kinda ruined it for me because the official servers all but vanished, I got fed up and traded the game.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'd love to get into this but surely now I've missed the boat and get annihilated as soon as I step online?.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Armoured Kill hits tomorrow and I'm seriously looking forward to those four massive maps, new weapons, more vehicles and raining all kinds of destructive hellfire from that AC-130.

None of the regulars I play with show any signs of moving on to play something else over the coming months, which is always a good sign and we'll be having some Cane & Rinse server action of our own over the coming weeks. This is personally, the best multiplayer shooter I've ever been invested in to date.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

JaySevenZero wrote:Armoured Kill hits tomorrow and I'm seriously looking forward to those four massive maps, new weapons, more vehicles and raining all kinds of destructive hellfire from that AC-130.

None of the regulars I play with show any signs of moving on to play something else over the coming months, which is always a good sign and we'll be having some Cane & Rinse server action of our own over the coming weeks. This is personally, the best multiplayer shooter I've ever been invested in to date.
I'm still enjoying battlefield lots too, I still think it's a shame how the server situation was handled, and I think that they could have done a little more to help people out finding matches, but now I understand how to filter, matchmaking is a minor concern.

Shame there's such a spreading across formats, I would love to get into a full fame made up of forum peeps.
chunky_Monkey

Post by chunky_Monkey »

Agree with Jay 100% - looking forward to Armoured Kill and the game definetly improves with a good combat squad (even if theres some monkey laying down C4 all the time)
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I've never really used C4.
I've been the victim of it plenty of times, but not really used it much myself.
It must be kind satisfying to take out a tank/vehicle, I remember form playing BFBC2, my favourite game was to load up a jeep with C4, rant it full speed at a tank, leap out and blow it up.
TomFum

Post by TomFum »

Must admit im abit miffed the PS3 gets A.K a week before the PC. At least they can iron out all the bugs and glitchs though i guess for when it does.

Also Robotic you need to get on the C4, its an amazingly funny tool. can have some proper mischief with it
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

TomFum wrote:Must admit im abit miffed the PS3 gets A.K a week before the PC. At least they can iron out all the bugs and glitchs though i guess for when it does.

Also Robotic you need to get on the C4, its an amazingly funny tool. can have some proper mischief with it
Small price to pay for having 64 players I reckon.

I think that one useful purpose behind giving the Premium users the content two weeks early is that they can make sure everything is running as it should for when it goes out to the general masses. Either way I can live with a few minor issues for a few days as it'll give me a little time to get to know those maps before the rest of the cannon fodder join in, then the real fun begins! :twisted:
TomFum

Post by TomFum »

JaySevenZero wrote:Small price to pay for having 64 players I reckon.
Yer playing on an inferior unit has to have its upsides right, so i guess the week early thing is the compensation :twisted: ;)
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Are we not past the server issue yet. There are multiple official Dice servers on the go & more were added last week. Nothing can touch this game in terms of sheer fun & adrenaline pumping action. Crazy shit happens every game(mainly on conquest with vehicular shenanigans). If anyone on PS3 or 360 has this game & im not on their friends list, add me indiana747. I will do my best to help with my knolwedge of BF3 :D
I've got plenty of tips for players are having a rough time getting into the top of the scoreboard at the end of a game. Playing the objective is first & foremost, none of this phaffing around between capture points getting the odd kill. Points are king in this game for ranking up, so going to the place that gets you the most is obvious really. Its possible to cap flags stealthily on your own but the game reaches a different level when played with at least one good squadmate. Knowing a mate has got your back in a firefight adds a great sense of comradory.
Were possible try to get competant in vehicles, as it is possible for two players in a tank or chopper to steamroll a disorganised opposing team. Choose a vehicle loadout that compliments your squad mate, by this i mean if one player has proximity on then the driver has infra red, both have different loadouts. Same goes for perks, perks dont stack so if one guy has squad sprint on then other squadmates should choose differently, communicate to each other, it helps immensely(but not essential).
Find an empty server in the search or history part of the server browser. This is invaluable to learning vehicle skills without the hassle of battle.
Another thing that is severely overlooked by many players is the minimap. Everytime an enemy fires a weapon without a suppressor they light up on the minimap, giving away their position & the direction they are facing. Easy tags.
I think this game is second nature to me now & i love nothing more than seeing new players take it up. Nothing can compare to this on the FPS scene right now for total immersive multiplayer action. So hit me up on XBL or PSN & we can watch the water trickle through the rocks on Caspian Border or listen to the radio on the hotel roof of Gulf of Oman. Ahhh! So romantic.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Sage advice.

I think another thing is to remain fairly close to your squad mates, lone wolves don't last long in this game. Getting dropped becomes a lot less painful when you see the one responsible for your demise get shredded by your squad mates and then for the squad medic to revive you straight after.

Those of you with access to the Battlelog Premium videos should check out the latest one, gameplay footage from all the A.K. maps and they look effin' superb!
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Indiana747 wrote:Playing the objective is first & foremost, none of this phaffing around between capture points getting the odd kill.
I think I love you

I have playing rush, mostly because your'e dependant on other people, and playing an attacking game of rush only to see that almost all of your team are snipers, and they're hiding as far back as they can get on the map.

I'm pretty good in a tank, I'm utter shite in a chopper and jet though, which is something I'm working on. I've only got one ribbon left to get and that's the air efficiency ribbon, I've avoided Jets and choppers up until about a week or so ago.

Time to get my C4 on then I guess :)