Destiny / The Taken King

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Re: Destiny

Post by JaySevenZero »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:for sure!
I've just noticed as well that I can trade in the stuff I've been collecting for vanguard marks, so I have a use for my giant stacks of spirit bloom!
Are you sure? They once removed the option to sell and replaced it with the option to buy instead.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

ah man,
I'm late to the party on that one too, huh? :lol:
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

so I'm about half way around my progress on levelling up my vanguard rank to 2.
I was playing on the vita and hitting patrol missions while watching TV. I did find the patrol missions on venus a pain in the pants, I kept being funneled into the underground station where all the flying harpies spawn, and you have to trudge all the way back out to get your next patrol mission.

I've switched to using a rocket launcher as my special, and it's been nice to fire off a massive explosion into a corridor of people I'd rather not get too close to (coming out of the subway station on venus to to hobgoblins and a Minotaur was made a lot easier). and I can't decide if I prefer the single massive point of damage, or if I want to switch back to the heavy machine gun for sustained damage. Maybe Xur will have something good at the weekend?
So many people running around with the icebreaker too, all I could bloody hear was that thing firing off all the time.

I'm really trying to push to get myself some fresh armour by the weekend.

EDIT: Sweet! just got an email from bungie saying I've got three free strange coins waiting for me with the post master.
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

I tend to stick to patrol missions that keep me in the same area, i.e. Kill all enemy's or kill all of a certain type, what you can do is pick up missions you don't want to do and abort them, that will the set off the timer for that mission to regenerate hopefully with one you prefer.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Guy_JD wrote:I tend to stick to patrol missions that keep me in the same area, i.e. Kill all enemy's or kill all of a certain type, what you can do is pick up missions you don't want to do and abort them, that will the set off the timer for that mission to regenerate hopefully with one you prefer.
That's a bloody smart idea!
I can cull off all the collection missions.
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

How do people feel on creating 3 identical guardians, just so you can run the weekly's 3 times instead of one and maximise the loot you can get? Personally I don't look on it as cheating, if someone has the time to level up 3 guardians to level 30+ then good on them. Some even go as far as deleting a guardian that has run the raids and creating and levelling a new one to run it again.

I have 2 guardian's a Hunter and a Warlock, the only reason I created the Warlock was because I'd got 2 bits of legendary armour in drops for a Warlock but even finding the time to get him up to level 20 is something I've been unable to do thus far.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Didn't have a particularly good night on Destiny last night - got invited to my mates party only to find there were already three in so I had to rustle up another fire team, and couldn't chat to my mate as our chats ended up clashing too much. Did the nightfall, the weekly and the daily with rubbish rewards for everything, then some strikes. Got my machine gun with vanguard marks (Harms Way) which I'd been aiming for, but no raid to use it on as we couldn't get a team together. Raids are the best bit of the game and if there isn't a raid at the end of the tunnel, things feel aimless.

I think my time on Destiny now will be just raids and levelling up weapons by doing bounties, and working on my other character (warlock - he’s level 8 at the moment). Hopefully I won't get bored but last night was the first time I've turned the game off solely due to there being nothing of interest to do and not external reasons.

Something has to change or I’m going to end up getting bored, working towards getting weapons and levelling up is pointless if there isn’t a raid at the end of it once you've been part of one and realise they're by far and away the best parts of the game. They also have to increase the fireteam size limits because 3 just isn't enough for non-raid content.

I love times when I can just chat with a mate or two doing bounties obviously but often you can't do that when people aren't around, and with my time being more limited than I'd like I don't want to constantly spend it messing around in the tower or whatever hoping the chance to do a raid will come up. And I can't plan in raids very well with other things going on in life at the moment.

First ranty post about Destiny I think. Off my chest now, there's DLC and more coming so I'm still hopeful and excited for the longer term prospects of the game, let's see how things go from here.
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

They definitely need to implement a matchmaking system for raids and Nightfall's as you can spend a good couple of hours just trying to get 6 people together, obviously I'd rather do a raid with a full fire team of people I know but if it gets to the end of the week and you still haven't manage to get a raid party together I can understand how frustrating that could be.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I was thinking the same thing last night about the 3 man fire team.

Bungie seem to have been trying hard to take feedback on board, so here's hoping.

I've been kinda enjoying patrolling on my vita while half watching netflix
Chazzee

Post by Chazzee »

So with the help of a ragtag group made up of some of my friends and then bolstered by a couple of waifs and strays dragged in from the 4 corners of the internet, I have managed to complete the Crota’s End raid.

I’ve now finished both the currently available raids and have to say they have provided some of the most amazing and memorable gaming moments that I have experienced in my long journey as a gamer.

I’d like to share with you a couple of these events, to show you why, this game will always have a special place in my heart.

My group and I had made a few attempts at Crota’s End always falling down at one point or another due to our gross incompetence and after one such failed attempt disheartened we’d come to the conclusion maybe we didn’t have the skill to finish it and maybe we should never try and do it again.

We were back on the next night.

We were a man short and went looking for a guardian to help fill the 6th slot in a raid party. We put up the Crend signal and duly it was answered. By a god among men!

Little did we know it when we first put out the call, that this fine person was doing the rounds looking for newbie groups to help take through the final raid. He kindly took the reins, helped coach our entire team through the raid dispensing advice, tips and encouragement as we went and kicking considerable behind while doing it.

Through his tutelage Crota was duly dispatched in short order and what we’d thought to be impossible had been achieved due in no small part to the generosity of this mysterious stranger.

My second story is thus…

It the final moments in the Vault of Glass……A full wipe team wipe at the hands Ahteon, with him only on the merest sliver of health, the party dejected and down for the count, one beautiful guardian hero suddenly remembers he’d been hanging to to his self res ability in case of an emergency…This is the emergency he’d been waiting for, with the countdown clock on screen, the ability was activated and he is returned to the fight like a stunning golden phoenix, he proceeds to individually revive the entire party, who go on to dispatch the metal time boss for the very first time.

The sound over the headsets was deafening.

The hollering, cheers and utter euphoria of the party as we were transported back to the tower will always stay with me as a touchstone in my mind to remind me of why I enjoy video games so much.

Sorry if this was TLDR, just wanted to share. :)
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

Brought a tear to my eye that did
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

More patrolling tonight.
I had an email from bungie saying that I should collect my gift of three strange coins from the post dude.
Nothing there at all.
I can only assume that it's gone to my redundant x box character...
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Characters carry across platforms don't they? I'm sure Jay said he uses his same character across PS3 / PS4.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Only on the same platform though PS3 to PS4 or 360 to XBOne, they don't cross over.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I'm mildly annoyed that I'm being told I'm getting things when I'm not, but ah well, I'm sure I can find another way to hustle up a few more coins by the weekend.
Guy_JD

Destiny

Post by Guy_JD »

It's probably to entice you back into the game, as far as Bungie can see you've not played for a while because you haven't played it on the Xbox.

I prefer playing it on my 360 over my xb1, I'm not sure why as the graphics are much sharper on the new console, maybe it's just the controller is nicely worn in on my 360.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

hazeredmist wrote:They also have to increase the fireteam size limits because 3 just isn't enough for non-raid content.
I would be genuinely surprised if they ever did this as it would fundamentally change almost every aspect of the non-raid play. Unless they scaled up every enemy and increased their numbers it would make it even easier than it already is and if they were to upscale everything it would make the game impossible for those low levels on their own. The only way around this would be to create separate instances for high level players which, in my opinion, would undermine one of the things that I believe sells the game in having a real mix of levels when wandering the various worlds, meaning that low level players can survive some of the tougher public events because of this.

I would love to see a 10 or 12 player raid emerge at some point. However, trying to get 6 person team together can, on occasion, prove to be a problem in itself so I don't know how successful that would be?

Matchmaking is another problem unless they allowed you to specify criteria such as language and whether the player has an active mic or not. Not impossible I guess but probably a lot of work to implement.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

They could easily do it, I know what you're saying about the current setup but the core worlds themselves wouldn't have to change really, just throw in more enemies for strike missions - once you get to a certain point there's no real difficulty anyway beyond the raids, the difference between a tiger strike and a roc strike for example is just a little extra time to complete it really. Lower level characters could still play, I don't see there being much of an issue really. 3 is just a weird number I think and I see no reason why things couldn't just be scaled based around level disparity and amount of players in the party.

Raids of 10 players would be amazing but as you say getting 6 together is often problematic and the more numbers you add the more people could drop out, one of the reasons I actually agree with no matchmaking for raids, despite it often stopping me from taking one on.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Adding an extra player onto the fireteam would only succeed in making the game even easier than it already is and even if they added more enemies to the mix, wouldn't really make any difference. Currently the only strikes that give me pause for thought whilst playing is the Nightfall, otherwise the highest is ROC at level 30, a full level and a half less than my current rank.

However, I think that if they gave us a playlist that was higher than the maximum player level, say level 33 (perhaps also allowing the maximum mission level to be higher too) and then allowed it to carry up to four players, perhaps that could work since the enemies would require far more co-ordination between the team members in order to succeed as they would be considerably more powerful than the majority of players.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I spotted some gloves I wanted, and I was on a timer before the items changed for the day.
Patrols and some of the dailies done and dusted, I was still a way short of hitting rank 2, so I hit up a strike to get to rank 2.
The guys who I was playing with started out helpful, but when we got further in, it became kinda obvious that both of the other players were trying to play the strike without dying, so I was left trying to take out a boss on my own while the other two chumps hit behind a bloody crate.
The most frustrating part was I knew I was running out of time for buying my armour.
I managed to make it back to the tower and to the vendor with 1:06 left on the clock, instantly levelled up to 26 :)
I'm so happy :D