Destiny / The Taken King

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
RoboticMonk3y

Re: Destiny

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

oh, I also stumbled into an acolyte kneeling in front of a green thing.
Naturally I shot him.
Then the green thing burst and a pissed of wizard came flying out, I shot that too.
fighty little bugger took a lot of damage, but eventually went down.
I think i accidentally stumbled upon a part of a crota mission or something.
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

Yep that's part of the Eris (sp?) bounties
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

ah, wish I'd known!
I'll keep an eye out for that one.
I bloody hate wizards though.
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

There are 3 of them around Earth that you need to track down and deal with.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Xur is selling the "No Land Beyond" sniper this week, some Exotic tintan leg armour, but I'm not that interested in it, I never got on so well with shoulder charging. I've tried to gear up my titan, so I don't get that awful screen white-out when I'm running.
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

RoboticMonk3y wrote: The guys who I was playing with started out helpful, but when we got further in, it became kinda obvious that both of the other players were trying to play the strike without dying, so I was left trying to take out a boss on my own while the other two chumps hit behind a bloody crate.
The most frustrating part was I knew I was running out of time for buying my armour.
I managed to make it back to the
that's so bloody annoying when that happens, I don't know what's worse, the ones that just hide and let you do all the work or the ones that die and then quit leaving you on your own.
If I've got that bounty I'll do the low level strike and if I die it's my fault because I did something stupid.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Guy_JD wrote:How do people feel on creating 3 identical guardians, just so you can run the weekly's 3 times instead of one and maximise the loot you can get?
Currently doing this myself (just as soon as I can be bothered to get my second Titan up to Level 20) and don't see any problem with it whatsoever.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Guy_JD wrote:
RoboticMonk3y wrote: The guys who I was playing with started out helpful, but when we got further in, it became kinda obvious that both of the other players were trying to play the strike without dying, so I was left trying to take out a boss on my own while the other two chumps hit behind a bloody crate.
that's so bloody annoying when that happens, I don't know what's worse, the ones that just hide and let you do all the work or the ones that die and then quit leaving you on your own.
If I've got that bounty I'll do the low level strike and if I die it's my fault because I did something stupid.
I honestly think I died as much as I did, because of how I was trying to take out Valus Ta'aurc on my own. I've found you need someone to draw fire while the other one attacks.
pain in the ass
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:I honestly think I died as much as I did, because of how I was trying to take out Valus Ta'aurc on my own. I've found you need someone to draw fire while the other one attacks.
Do you know about the sweet spot underneath the left hand side ramp behind the boxes? Really handy place if you're on your own or it's the Nightfall.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

that's where the other two useless chumps were stood dancing with each other and spinning in circles.
Guy_JD

Destiny

Post by Guy_JD »

Yeah I normally head for there and pelt him with rockets and sniper rounds through the gaps in the crates.

One of the guys I play with on the 360 showed me a way to get up on the circular thing that hangs in the centre of the arena too, it's great for being able to fire on him from relative safety no matter where he is standing.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Destiny picked up again entirely due to doing raids yesterday.

Got to Crota on CE, couldn't quite finish him off before party members started dropping out but was good to finally get a proper run through CE with no cheese, and learn the mechanics of the battle.

Did VOG hard in the evening, very enjoyable. Got Vision of Confluence as a reward, timely as I was getting truly sick of getting energy and shards all the time. Zero recoil means I will be using this a lot for precision kills bounties and of course solar damage for nightfalls, oracles in VOG etc.

Oh and anyone else who picked up No Land Beyond from Xur, join me as we mourn our wasted strange coins. What a fucking useless weapon!
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

I've still yet to take part in a raid and feel I'm really missing out a great experience from the feedback I've heard about it.

On another note, hows the DLC, is it worth picking up? I played Destiny to death for a few weeks after it came out but so much came out around Christmas that it's gone on the back burner. If the DLC is good I may well give that a bash and get myself back into the game.
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

The DLC is more of the same (but not a lot more), if you enjoyed Destiny for the story mode then I don't think the DLC is anywhere near value for money.
The only reason I picked up the DLC was because I was playing online with people that had it and if you haven't got the DLC you are looked out of some of the online content.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I think the DLC is basically essential for true end-game players, as it includes the ROC strikes, extra missions, and the new raid. Without raids to aim towards Destiny will start to feel a bit directionless, so without the DLC, I don't think you'll end up in it for the long haul. I think all in all with the extra missions, the new loot, bounties, strikes and raid, it's actually very good value for money and the extra content has taken up many, many hours of my time already which is more than can be said for most DLC. But I'm sure some people will disagree there as Destiny seems to get judged by different rules when it comes to assessing value for money.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I think whether something is value for money is entirely subjective and not always clear cut, especially with the Destiny DLC. Currently, given my hours spent in the game, my total expenditure on Destiny works out at 8p per hour of play and so I'd say it's definitely value for money. However, if you're only dipping in for an hour or two per week then I'd say the DLC isn't worth picking up as it could seem like a lot of money for very little content overall (except the raid, which is kinda awesome).
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I picked up the dlc at Christmas and enjoyed what I played with a bit of help from Jay and the others. I think you need to have the time to play it though as I've not been on my ps4 for more than 15 minutes for a couple of weeks now and feel left behind and I'm level 27!. Still not attempted either raid.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Yeah I think if you stop playing and you fall behind your friends and what they're doing, you might end up losing interest entirely. Take the teamwork and friends element away from this game and I don't think I'd be playing. As it's there though, it's easily my game of choice for the foreseeable and I'm lucky to have a lot of people around who play regularly. As I've said before it's all about the raids, everything else is just gathering materials and upgrades to get back a raid or do a better run for me. They are the pinnacle of gaming today for me.

Did Crota's End with some friends for the first time to completion last night, absolutely brilliant and truly required everyone at the top of their game. Got Light of the Abyss fusion rifle and a couple of bits of raid armour so a pretty good haul too.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and spent some strange coins buying myself some legendary armour, got myself up to level 27 and I'm pushing forwards.
I was playing in a fireteam with McFluffin over the weekend, and it's amazing how much quicker you can clear through patrol missions when there's two of you.
I'm playing as a titan, and I've maxed out my striker tree, so I've been levelling up my defender tree too, just in case, I feel like switching over to that. From where I am, I'm not really too sure what to make of it though. It's nice that I get an extra shield if I score a melee kill, but I think I preferred the striker skills. I can see the merits of upgrading the defender class though, being able to top up everyone's ammo could be helpful on a raid for sure.

I've been given a weird legendary bounty, I'm not really sure what I've done to get it, but I have to complete 5 strikes without dying, who knows what I'll end up with!

I figure once I've got myself up to level 28-29 that I'll be able to have another crack at the Vault of Glass, and maybe bit a bit less of a dead weight this time around.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:Well, I finally pulled the trigger and spent some strange coins buying myself some legendary armour, got myself up to level 27 and I'm pushing forwards.
I was playing in a fireteam with McFluffin over the weekend, and it's amazing how much quicker you can clear through patrol missions when there's two of you.
I'm playing as a titan, and I've maxed out my striker tree, so I've been levelling up my defender tree too, just in case, I feel like switching over to that. From where I am, I'm not really too sure what to make of it though. It's nice that I get an extra shield if I score a melee kill, but I think I preferred the striker skills. I can see the merits of upgrading the defender class though, being able to top up everyone's ammo could be helpful on a raid for sure.

I've been given a weird legendary bounty, I'm not really sure what I've done to get it, but I have to complete 5 strikes without dying, who knows what I'll end up with!

I figure once I've got myself up to level 28-29 that I'll be able to have another crack at the Vault of Glass, and maybe bit a bit less of a dead weight this time around.
Levelling up your Defender is essential! Very useful for the Vault of Glass. On Atheon, you can create a bubble to the rear of the middle shelf you stand on when pelting Atheon, very handy. It's also very useful in Crota's end. In fact, a Defender is far more useful than a Striker in most situations in team-based Destiny, Nightfalls, Weekly, as well as the raids. So keep at it! Weapons of Light is a great feature to give team mates that extra hit boost also.

Level 28/9 you'll be useful in any VOG normal team :)

With you spending your strange coins, PLEASE tell me you got Ice Breaker either this Xur just passed or the one a few weeks ago... Most useful gun in the game! (for me anyway).