Destiny / The Taken King

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
RoboticMonk3y

Re: Destiny

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

The thing is, a strike give a bunch of vanguard points, but takes ages.
I've often found that it's much quicker to patrol to get vanguard points.
You passively end up picking up a bunch of stuff too.
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

Lost a bit of momentum with Destiny at the monent, I'd upgraded my icebreaker to almost maximum just needed the exotic shard which I bought from Xur last week I also noticed he had an option to upgrade exotics already in your inventory, stupidly I went for that option and bam my icebreaker was back to having no upgrades :( what is that upgrade existing exotics about exactly? Luckily I still have the exotic shard (I think) so it's just glimmer to level it back up but going from a sniper with all the bells and whistles to a standard one is annoying.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Guy_JD wrote:Lost a bit of momentum with Destiny at the monent, I'd upgraded my icebreaker to almost maximum just needed the exotic shard which I bought from Xur last week I also noticed he had an option to upgrade exotics already in your inventory, stupidly I went for that option and bam my icebreaker was back to having no upgrades :( what is that upgrade existing exotics about exactly? Luckily I still have the exotic shard (I think) so it's just glimmer to level it back up but going from a sniper with all the bells and whistles to a standard one is annoying.
It re-rolls the stats, so if you got glass half full perk, it might re-roll that to mulligan.
another fine concept from bungee that they could have taken a few extra minutes to explain
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

Yeah that would have been worth a little more thought :(
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I've fallen afoul of that myself. The purpose of that upgrade is to boost your pre-buff exotic weapon from max 300 to max 331 damage. If you already have max 331 damage, it will allow you to purchase and use the upgrade anyway, most likely due to the reroll Robotic mentioned.

I did this with Monte Carlo, thinking it would give me a boost with it. It had no effect, as my gun was already 331 and I didn't understand this at the time. It reset my pre-existing progress, and I wasted an exotic shard and 7,000 glimmer (or around that figure) doing it. Very annoying.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

oh, so hang on, if I buy an exotic, can I do that right away and unlock everything? or would I still need to pump a ton of experience into the weapon?
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

No that was part of my mistake - quite the opposite. Before the DLC all exotics were max 300 damage, not 331, whereas now any exotic you find will be 331 (unless there are exceptions found on normal VOG) so the purpose is to help people upgrade those exotics to the new max 331 level. The only problem being that it resets all your progress with the upgrade, so if you had all your shit unlocked on the exotic, you'll lose it when applying the upgrade.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

ahh,
so it does make sense for the ice breaker to be in there then. :)
I'm going to try some more strikes this evening, see if I can get myself some cool things, I just need me some good boots now though, and I think I'm good to go.
I am finding it tricky to find spinmetal though. Perhaps it's just my wonky eyes, but I find it so hard to spot the damn stuff.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

The best way is collecting vanguard marks to guarantee yourself some good boots - you get 6 per ROC strike, and you can earn up to 100 per week (it's capped) then go and see the vendor for your class in the tower to see how many you need. You might already have enough? You earn marks with bounties too and other things. That way you will get some Legendary boots that go up to 33 light. The other way is to hope for drops but you need to be doing raids to get decent drops really, 95% of what you get in terms of drops & engrams on ROC strikes will be blue.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

hazeredmist wrote:The best way is collecting vanguard marks to guarantee yourself some good boots - you get 6 per ROC strike, and you can earn up to 100 per week (it's capped) then go and see the vendor for your class in the tower to see how many you need. You might already have enough? You earn marks with bounties too and other things. That way you will get some Legendary boots that go up to 33 light. The other way is to hope for drops but you need to be doing raids to get decent drops really, 95% of what you get in terms of drops & engrams on ROC strikes will be blue.
I'm on 64 and I need 75 for boots, I shoudl have enough by the end of this evening.
I'm just holding on for boots that are good with the correct ammo type, it's been fusion rifles and pule rifles for the last few days. I'm holing out for extra auto rife.
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

Bungie are adding matchmaking for the weekly heroic strike but say it won't be happening with the nightfall or raids any time soon.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... ocialoomph
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Oh that's cool,
no doubt if it work out ok, then they'll try and add matchmaking to everything.

I need to start getting myself ascendant materials to upgrade all my gear.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

looks like Xur isn't selling anything I need this week
I kinda like the look of the alpha Lupi chest piece, I've started playing as a titan defender instead of a titan striker. Currently I'm using exotic headgear that gives a boost to my striker skills, it would be nice to have one to support my defender (although the armamentarium would help out for both!)
I'll keep collecting my coins.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to care about this game. So far I've spent 550 hours playing it since its launch back in September of which I have no regrets having enjoyed everything up until reaching level 32. The problem is that there is no where left to go and I've long since stopped doing a lot of stuff such as bounties, daily missions and even the weekly and Nightfall since they offer next to nothing now other than filling my inventory with junk that is less than useless at this stage (legendary weapons and armour and ascendant materials). The raids are the only thing to do and frankly, I'm kinda tired of the randomness of the drops making the raid feel redundant more often than not. For example, the last couple of times doing the Vault I've been rewarded with Ascendant materials (utterly useless) at every chest and for the final drop was given the chatterwhite and the raid sparrow (chatterwhite I've had around half a dozen times and the sparrow I've received 4 times to date). I literally cannot be bothered chasing the few remaining weapons I wanted because it's starting to feel like a chore.

Overall, I'm finding myself feeling aggrieved by the direction Bungie are pushing the game in restricting those players that don't purchase the expensive and not really worthwhile DLC. We've had the Omnigul strike come up again twice in just the last month which, despite having 6 strikes to choose from, they seem determined to keep punishing those players that didn't purchase it.

I've already noticed a considerable drop off from people playing this over the last few weeks and given that there's still two months to go before any new content drops, I'm expecting even less people playing this by the time its released. And who can blame them? Bungie have shown some serious incompetence when it comes to implementing new content into the game and frankly, I'm not convinced that the next 'expansion' is gonna be worth the coin this time around.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Bloody hell, I thought you'd been quiet on Destiny and now I know why... You've reached your limit haven't you?

I fully understand where you're coming from to be honest, and I don't know how much longer I'll be playing before I take a break until the DLC comes out (I've bought into that already so the cost isn't an issue for me). The last couple of weapons I've got, sure I'm happy to get them but I essentially have a core of weapons I use all the time and a lot of these drops are pretty useless in reality. I think if I was already 32 and had Gjallahorn and a couple of other weapons for example the Vex Mythoclast or Atheon's Epilogue, I might be done. As it is, the game is essentially a social hub for me with the core mates I play with so the repetition isn't too bad - as soon as you take that away though there's nothing really there for me as a high end level 31 with most weapons I want / need.

I played some VOG last night which was fun, but once that was over and my mates signed off, I started doing bounties and afte a short while thought what's the point and signed off. No mates online = no game really.

To be fair, for the money I've paid I think there is a deceptively large amount of content in both the main game and the DLC so far, it's the fact the endgame focuses on the strikes and the raids only that makes you feel like it's pretty empty after a while. That's not even mentioning Crucible which is a whole PVP experience in itself. The repetition doesn't help at all, and I think they have a long way to go but with the new DLC having new strikes and a new raid, goodness is coming. They're also talking about a major content update later in the year, and this isn't bad at all for a non-subscription MMO in terms of support. Fingers crossed.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I was playing last night and I'd pretty much forgotten that there was the crucible.
I played the crucible a ton on the 360, but I've barely touched it on the PS4.

I kinda wish that I'd jumped on board the raiding stuff much earlier, as Jay pointed out, it seems that the party has started to slide on.
I think the problem I've had is how long it's taken me to understand the basic "rules" of how to level yourself up.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Well. It's amazing what raiding can do. Did full VOG and Crota runs at the weekend with my friends, had a blast. Also got another decent exotic drop in Mida Multi Tool, excellent scout rifle, the sound it makes is one I hear now and again and wonder what gun it is, now I know. Unusually I've been getting into Crucible too (largely due to a bounty to obtain Bad Juju), harking back to my old days with Halo. Really good fun, and once you get over the initial shock of going from PVE to PVP it's quality. Think I'll be playing more Crucible as things go forward, it feels fresh as I've barely touched it up to now.

Still fucking love this game despite the odd moan!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Its probably classed as retro gaming nowadays but if anyone fancies doing the vault of glass with me Monday evening around 9pm let me know. I've not tried it yet apart from hilarious 10 minutes alone. I'm nearly level 27 I think I've not played it for yonks. Alternatively just a couple to play through the dlc as I kept getting my are kicked trying to beat the soul of crota.
BasementShaxx

Post by BasementShaxx »

I've suffered a bit with Destiny too recently, put the game down completely for a couple of weeks, which for me is a long time. Finally came back when Xur sold the Heart of the Praxic Fire which I had been coveting since launch, the game doesn't hold the same appeal for me that it once did and I'm definitely growing tired with a lot of the content and the cruelty of RNG, but I've started finding new things to do in the game. The flawless raider trophy is the last one I have to get which has pushed me towards learning how to solo Crota's End, and that challenge has been enough to pull me back in. I no longer come back for the nightfall every single week like I once did, but I still love raiding, so if anyone needs another player for their raid team let me know.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I hit level 30 at the weekend, really pleased with that.
I also managed to pick myself up an ice-breaker.
I'd love to have another crack at the Vault of Glass now that I'm at a more suitable level for it.