Destiny / The Taken King

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Bakers_12

Re: Destiny

Post by Bakers_12 »

So leet me get this straght. bungie/activision want me to but an add-on for a game at abound the same price as a full game? At the same time they releasing an version of the game that has the base game, both DLCs and the new content for just £15 more then the new content on its own? Oh yeah I also have to buy some red bull to get to some content at launch!!!

Is this right?
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Not quite.

They are releasing a game with both expansions and The Taken King for around the £55 mark but it's the Collectors Edition that has got players riled up. This is currently retailing for around £80 and also includes a bunch of stuff like a steelbook case, a replica strange coin and a bunch of postcards and - this being the thing that seemingly sparked the flame - a new emote for each of the classes. Something that players have been asking for since day one but in their "wisdom" they've decided to put them exclusively (for now) behind the most expensive edition and is akin to asking their most loyal fanbase to pretty much pay for the previous expansions a second time.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

For a game that asks a lot from players gameplay wise, now its asking a lot wallet wise too!
I will still play the game but don't think i will be getting the next add on unless its for a very good sale price.

I'm sure that the emotes be offered in that edition is an indcater that more will be avalble soon though other means.
James

Post by James »

Don't forget that you'll miss out on some in-game emotes if you don't buy the limited edition complete version.

At this point I half expect Bungie to have done a u-turn in-between me starting and finishing a post, so obvious is the need for them to address this situation. Not seen anything yet though!
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

my god, I thought that the red bull things was a joke, referencing the whole doritos/mountain dew thing from a while back.
it seems that Destiny is the joke...
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Looks like Red Bull was just the beginning! ;)

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

https://twitter.com/DyingLightGame/stat ... 6830594048

Bravo! Bravo!

I might actually get Dying Light for one twitter post.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

adwild1982

Post by adwild1982 »

Just been reading through the latest post about Destiny and i agree 100% with why people are getting angry. Saying that i am will still get The Taken King on re;ease day as i have invested so much time in the game to get my characters to the level they are that i dont want that time to be wasted and that's what Bungie are relying on. People who have spent the last year on the game not wanting to feel like that time has been wasted so they will cough up the £40 plus it costs. With all that said i am still loving the game and have got a good group to raid, prison on elders and strikes with.
MAp

Post by MAp »

I think Danny sums up why I don't plan to carry on with the Destiny roller coaster.

I know about the draw to pander to people's pockets (not with psychological manipulation techniques, more farting out a picture/sculpture of Boba Fett). So as someone that tries to avoid doing such things, probably to the detriment of my own financial security, the idea of rewarding a company for inflicting a more potent version on me does not fill me with the wonder I look for in games
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

That's a fascinating video and the techniques employed within the game, ever so slightly disturb me due to the level of almost subconscious manipulation going on.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

That's a great video, thanks for sharing.

Have been putting together a vague piece on modern gaming practice's echoing techniques used to hook gamblers but think this has rendered it useless! Far more interesting and insightful than what I had so far...
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

Hi everyone, I've been away from the site for a bit due to time commitments. However, I now have a PS4 and I'm looking to dive into a few hours on Destiny to see how it's changed in the last few months. I'm at Level 26, so at the least it would be cool to get up to the level cap (whatever it's sitting at now, I haven't bought any of the DLC).
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Not sure if people haven't noticed but if you have the remotest chance of getting back into Destiny or you're on hiatus until The Taken King, Xur is selling Gjallarhorn today, I suggest you get it while you can! Do your weekly missions if you need to but 17 strange coins nets you the weapon that has eluded me since I started playing...

Certainly got me back into it. Done three raids and some other activities last night and today, thrilled to bypass the utterly fucked RNG system to get the fabled rocket launcher finally. Just to confirm the issues aren't over, in these raids I've again watched other people get their umpteenth Blackhammer, Fatebringer and Vex Mythoclast while I continue to get shards and shaders I don't need. Yay! Apparently the RNG is being tweaked quite a bit with The Taken King so fingers crossed. Fun getting back into it though, I'll likely be on again tonight.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Completed my 'Moment of Triumph' quest following the lv 35 Skolas Prison of Elders and collecting some golden chests I'd missed. Right back into Destiny and psyched for the big DLC. Oh and the same evening of my last post I got a Vex Mythoclast, I just didn't notice it :D

Anyone baulking at the £40 pricetag of The Taken King might want to consider my method:

- £36.85 delivered for the full game and all DLC including The Taken King http://deals.simplygames.com/p/destiny- ... n-king-ps4
- Sell your original copy of Destiny for a meagre amount, say £6 - you've still saved a tenner compared to the DLC's normal price
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So I don't have the house of wolves dlc so do I need to pay £20 for that before £40 for The Taken King?. That's what it sounds like on the PlayStation dashboard.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

DomsBeard wrote:So I don't have the house of wolves dlc so do I need to pay £20 for that before £40 for The Taken King?. That's what it sounds like on the PlayStation dashboard.
Yeah, 'fraid so - unless you buy the disc-based legendary edition (or whatever it's called?) with everything on it.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Shame, I fancy getting back into Destiny but I'm not paying £60 to do so.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

The legendary edition of the taken king has been floating around the £35 mark from various sties for a while now, that gives you eveything.
Good value if you didn't get any of the expansion packs.