Videogame Podcast Recommendations

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
andrewbcalculating

Videogame Podcast Recommendations

Post by andrewbcalculating »

Firstly, I’ve looked through the various sections and couldn’t find a thread related to this subject so I hope you don’t mind me creating this here.

I’m looking for a new British weekly podcast for video games to listen to and I wondered if anyone on here would be able to recommend one to me.

The Gamespot UK podcast has taken a downward turn recently in my opinion and I can’t see it changing. So now I’m looking for something different to listen to instead.

I am however a bit picky as to what I like so I have had to dismiss a lot of podcasts to create my current daily schedule of listening.

I find that a lot of video games podcasts act silly and immature instead of focusing on the subject of video games which annoys me.

I don’t mean to sound like I’m sucking up but the honest reason why I like the Cane & Rinse podcast is because it hardly deviates from the subject in question and doesn’t feel the need to pad the show with pointless humour.

Thank you in advance.

|<o>|
James

Re: Video Game Podcast Recommendations

Post by James »

Your best bet is to check the list of 'Kindred Spirits' on the caneandrinse.com homepage (scroll down and it's on the right hand side). Some that I'd recommend are GameBurst, Game Critics, Joypod and Midnight Resistance.

There are plenty of other good gaming podcasts that I don't mean to disparage by not listing them here, but those four will give you a bit of a cross-section in terms of length, tone and content.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

I would definitely recommend Chet & Johns Finite Playlist,
DarthCuddles

Post by DarthCuddles »

Idle Thumbs is one of my favourite gaming related podcasts, it's hosted by Chris Remo from Double Fine, Sean Vaneman and Jake Rodkin from TellTale who were both designers/Writers on the walking dead. It's a really fun podcast to listen to with silly in jokes and talks about interesting/weird games that I would never have discovered otherwise also has some really great discussion on most facets of games and the games industry

Edit: Maybe should have read the full post and not just skimmed. Idle thumbs is not British but still a great show and it is weekly
James

Post by James »

DarthCuddles wrote:Idle Thumbs is one of my favourite gaming related podcasts, it's hosted by Chris Remo from Double Fine, Sean Vaneman and Jake Rodkin from TellTale who were both designers/Writers on the walking dead. It's a really fun podcast to listen to with silly in jokes and talks about interesting/weird games that I would never have discovered otherwise also has some really great discussion on most facets of games and the games industry
And now I realise the shortcomings of the list of four that I suggested! Possibly my favourite gaming podcasts not called Cane And Rinse are Idle Thumbs and Gamers With Jobs. Did I remember to list them? Did I heck! :oops:
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

Add Giant Bombcast and Weekend Confirmed to that list, not british, but both very good and informed podcasts.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

I would second Gameburst and Joypod. The latter does use humour a lot, but unlike say Mature Gamer, the are genuinely funny.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Dante Fireseed wrote:Add Giant Bombcast and Weekend Confirmed to that list, not british, but both very good and informed podcasts.
It's probably going to make me sound like a heretic, but I find the Giant Bombcast to be incredibly dull. It's even made me fall asleep on several occasions.

There is some good and well informed gaming discussion, but there's just so much guff around it. Dull, irrelevant stuff from the hosts' personal lives that I really couldn't care less about, and just generally inconsequential, banal fluff. They don't have the most engaging personalities. The Quick Looks often suffer from a similar problem.

I can't really think of any other podcasts to add, apart from maybe Digital Gonzo being added to the list of "kindred spirits". They're not strictly a gaming podcast, but they often do gaming topics. Maybe you could add the Extra Credits community podcast, but they almost never upload episodes any more. They're on a pseudo-hiatus at the moment, which they have been on for a while.

I've heard of Idle Thumbs before, but I've never listened to it before. I think I'll have to check it out now.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Couldn't agree more about Giantbomb. Just don't see what everyone likes about it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Scrustle wrote:I can't really think of any other podcasts to add, apart from maybe Digital Gonzo being added to the list of "kindred spirits". They're not strictly a gaming podcast, but they often do gaming topics. Maybe you could add the Extra Credits community podcast, but they almost never upload episodes any more. They're on a pseudo-hiatus at the moment, which they have been on for a while.
Gonzo Planet is already there.
We only feature people who we have a relationship with in Kindred Spirits, so we wouldn't just add someone we don't know such as Extra Credits.
Rich

Post by Rich »

I just started listening to the VideoGamer UK podcast. It's actually great! They're only 4 episodes in but they have some good people.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

ratsoalbion wrote:
Scrustle wrote:I can't really think of any other podcasts to add, apart from maybe Digital Gonzo being added to the list of "kindred spirits". They're not strictly a gaming podcast, but they often do gaming topics. Maybe you could add the Extra Credits community podcast, but they almost never upload episodes any more. They're on a pseudo-hiatus at the moment, which they have been on for a while.
Gonzo Planet is already there.
We only feature people who we have a relationship with in Kindred Spirits, so we wouldn't just add someone we don't know such as Extra Credits.
With Gonzo I just meant it was one of the "kindred spirits" which wasn't already in this thread.

Extra Credits was my own general suggestion.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Ah, gotcha.
James

Post by James »

I listen to both Giant Bomb and Weekend Confirmed, but I figured that they're both so well known as to not need recommendation. Giant Bomb certainly has its moments of self-indulgence, such as getting a full hour into a podcast before talking about a video game, but it hasn't put me off yet.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Joypod definitely gets my vote, it's consistently funny and well worth checking out.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The thing that's happened to me is that I don't really like listening to loads of gaming podcasts any more. I felt it persuaded me into wanting to play ALL the games coming out and whilst that's kinda their job, I found that getting surrounded by all the noise left me feeling fatigued with playing and listening to them.

I now have a list down from 20 to about 5 and it goes like this

Cane & Rinse - who?
The Comedy Button - Not games at all but all funny people from the Gamespy Debriefing days. Good stuff. Not games.
Podtoid - Mental. Related to Destructoid. Seldom goes into videogame talk and often walks a tightrope into madness.
Giant Bomb - Previously mentioned. I like 'em, they seem to be the most honest when it comes to gaming but it's all down to personal tastes
Joypod - Parp.
Rebel FM - Probably the best for topical gaming related discussion. Arthur Gies is a good listen even if it sounds like he's going to sleep right there on the podcast.

I stopped listening to Weekend Confirmed. I like Mr Lee but whenever they get females on they just turn into, well, lads. Not a bad thing really but not what I want from a gaming podcast. I could almost hear their erections hitting the mic.
strickenmcq

Post by strickenmcq »

Another recommendation for Joypod. I also listen to PWNCAST: The Dealspwn Podcast but sometimes they can be a little less than mature and get a bit overexcited so might not be your cup of tea.
James

Post by James »

The man is (almost) always right, and that list of 5 are excellent choices. I'm giving Comedy Button and Destructoid a rest because the in-jokes got a little too suffocating, but I'll go back before long.
dezm0nd wrote:I stopped listening to Weekend Confirmed. I like Mr Lee but whenever they get females on they just turn into, well, lads. Not a bad thing really but not what I want from a gaming podcast. I could almost hear their erections hitting the mic.
Very true, and sadly undermines the credibility of otherwise erudite podcasters. :(
Sean

Post by Sean »

I'd like to second James' and Darren's call on Weekend Confirmed.

It's generally a great podcast. One of my favorites, probably, but, occasionally it can hit truly dire moments. Basically, if they mention at the beginning of an episode that they're drinking, you can safely skip that one.
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

dezm0nd wrote:The thing that's happened to me is that I don't really like listening to loads of gaming podcasts any more. I felt it persuaded me into wanting to play ALL the games coming out and whilst that's kinda their job, I found that getting surrounded by all the noise left me feeling fatigued with playing and listening to them.

I now have a list down from 20 to about 5 and it goes like this.
Yeah I've gone through the same thought process as Dez, In the past I would have 20-30 shows in my playlist but it became so tiring to keep up and interact with each show I decided to have a major clear out, that's not to say I don't listen to many of the shows that aren't listed below from time to time but something had to give.

Gameburst - It's 30-45 min no nonsense formate really suits my work schedule although it's quality can vary a fair bit on who's hosting and subject matter being covered that week.

Game Critics - Their opinions may vary wildly from your own and it's not a great show to listen to if you don't like your games scrutinised and judged for the smallest of issues but there reasoning and passion for the industry keep things mostly grounded.

Giant Bombcast - For me it's still the most fun and entertaining podcast out there, sure there's a lot of waffling on about non gaming issues but Vinny, Jeff, Ryan, Patrick and Brad have a real chemistry together which make you feel like you're actually apart of the conversation.

To fill the sizeable gap left by this major clear out I've found the joy of listening to audio books, not only has this allowed me to finally experience some literary classics but also discover some hidden gems I would never have had time to read.