Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Todinho

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Todinho »

DomsBeard wrote: You see I like Dead Cell but I also like Cobra Unit but which is better?. Only one way to find out.......
C'mon it wouldnt even be a match if all the Cobras fought together,all that would remain of Dead Cell would be Vamp's charred remains desperatly clinging to life :lol:
I think we can all agree that, while it is all down to personal opinion, its quite clear that my opinions are objectively superior
Well I cant argue with that XD,it is true that DC had more work put in individually even if it was bullshit(Fortune and Vamp)but as a group the Cobra's work much better they are all(except the Pain I still dont get that guy)part of a much stronger whole,granted DC was kinda of butchered for time there were supposed tob e 2 more members of DC including a chinese guy that fought with swords aparently.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I prefer Foxhound and the Beauty and the Beast unit myself ;)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Well OBVIOUSLY Foxhound is actually THE best ;)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I loved the way Drebin popped up in a this is your life style after you defeat each member.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

Well foxhound is on a whole 'nother level! I think ocelot is one of the most interesting characters in the whole series
Anyway, haven't got round to 4 so I can't comment on the bed n breakfast unit, I need money to get a ps3 first.

...Is it wrong that one of my main motivations for getting a job is so i can play MGS4?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Hierony wrote:Well foxhound is on a whole 'nother level! I think ocelot is one of the most interesting characters in the whole series
Anyway, haven't got round to 4 so I can't comment on the bed n breakfast unit, I need money to get a ps3 first.

...Is it wrong that one of my main motivations for getting a job is so i can play MGS4?
Nothing wrong with that, make sure you get Heavy Rain too (don't tell Jay untold you that though) ;)
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Well Foxhound is the best one without a doubt,I hope you dont expect too much from MGS4 let's just say it has it's problems a fair share of problems...still good though but I think it's the weakest in the series only above the original Metal Gear.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Put a few hours into Dragon's Crown, being a "scrolling beat em up fan" I really liked the look of this. So far it's pretty good, the combat system is straightforward, and it's fun to play. Though the less said about the women's art style, the better.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Yeah, it's awful! Good game though although I found that the combat needed an extra move and losing my character in the madness often proved to be a hindrance.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The way I see it is that: a) The male characters' masculine attributes are equally absurdly exaggerated and b) It's clearly a pastiche of high fantasy art tropes. I think it's funny rather than offensive or likely ro cause dysmorphia in either gender.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

Yes, I'm not too worried about it, it certainly is not the first game to have mis proportioned female characters
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I actually like the over the top style. I think we should see all styles. I don't want games to have frumpy looking, normal characters. If I want to see that I'll watch my neighbours in the street.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

dezm0nd wrote:Yeah, it's awful! Good game though although I found that the combat needed an extra move and losing my character in the madness often proved to be a hindrance.
Yeah I've had that happen a few times, especially when you've got 3 other people on your team and there's a load of enemies attacking you.
I'm not offended by the art style, but some of it does make you think "really?". The way the top heavy Sorceress runs being a prime example.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Started palying Fire Emblem awekening my first impressions of it is that it's very anime,almost too much anime if im honest but oddly enough the art style also reminds me of Greece and Macedonia for some reason,and the 3D is pretty nice,also unlike FF tactics this game is pretty friendly to beginners and you can jump right into it without having to read many walls of text to play the game properly something tell me that the story on the other hand wont be nowhere near as good but I could be wrong.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Finished off my second run through Darksiders 2 today, on Apocalyptic difficulty. There was a bonus post-credits cutscene, which was cool. Although a bit sad as well in a way. It teases something that probably won't ever be a reality. It also turns out you can't do a second New Game Plus, which is kind of annoying. I was planning to go through on a lower difficulty doing all the side-quests. I have a feeling I may have screwed myself on some of those too.

I've also been playing the DLC. Been going through The Demon Lord Belial. That's really tough on Apocalyptic. I've got to the boss though, but even at the level cap, it's hard as nails. I was intending to use my next playthrough to lower the difficulty on that too, but I can't do that now without starting from scratch. Kind of annoying. But I don't want to come off as negative. Love the game, and the DLC for it has actually been pretty good. Kind of feels like it should be in the main game though. It certainly would have allowed there to be less repetition in the earlier parts of the game, as well as making it feel less front-heavy. I also found today that there was a third DLC that I completely forgot about too, so I downloaded that and I plan to go through it after I finish Belial. I almost beat him once, but he hits really damn hard. Doesn't feel unfair though.

Also played Okami HD a bit. Finished off the Fish Tome, so that naturally involved a lot of fishing. Why is it fishing in games is such a common thing? It always seems to be one of the more enjoyable side-distractions you can do too. Next I suppose I'll go for the Treasure Tome. Going after the few remaining Stray Beads doesn't seem like a fun idea right now, given how infuriating it was last time I tried it.

I've been continuing with Nier too. I'm still quite liking it. I beat the boss made out of floating cubes in the dungeon in the desert, and I got a kick out of seeing the little nod to Zelda they did at the end of that. But I've been getting this feeling that I'm enjoying the game more than I should, if that makes sense. I can't quite work out what it is that's keeping me playing. It's got interesting bosses and and great music, but everything else is kind of sub-par, yet it doesn't seem to bother me. Graphics look kind of rough (although I think in a way they meld with the music to create an interesting aesthetic tone somehow), the combat is repetitive, basic, and badly animated, and the story isn't exactly fantastic so far either.

Although, I am enjoying the characters. Yonah and her interactions with you are quite charming, and the banter between you and Weiss are pretty funny. Not sure on Kaine though. Attire aside, she doesn't seem particularly interesting. She's kind of just a cliched hater of everything. Also, the way Weiss refers to her can sometimes be a bit jarring. The way he calls her "hussie". Not a huge deal, but it seems a bit off-colour to me. Like if the person who wrote the game was a native English speaker, they probably wouldn't choose that word.

But either way, I'm liking it a lot regardless. Far more than the majority of other JRPGs I've played, if you can call this game that.

Oh, and talking of fishing in games, I cant work out how to get it to work in this one.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I guess fishing mini-games are such a big thing because fishing is, I believe, the most participated-in sport/pastime in the world, and particularly huge in Japan.

Some games do it better than others, that's for sure. It's something that (as a vegetarian of almost 30 years) I'd never do in real life, but it can be quite fun in virtual form. A bit like shooting people in the face, only with fish. And a wee hook.

I can't remember if I ever did catch that Hylian Loach or not...

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I didn't even know there was such a thing, or even how to get different lures, or that stuff with the hat either! But fishing in Zelda is always really relaxing. I spent ages just chilling out and doing that in OoT. I should play more of the fishing in Twilight Princess too. The fishing mini game in that was quite fleshed out. I think there's a woman in that game who is supposed to be descended from the guy in OoT as well. If you do some specific thing she even starts scratching herself like he does.

I just took a look at the Zelda Wiki to look up that Hylian Loach, and it says there was a fishing mode in Phantom Hourglass too. I never came across that when I played it.

Fishing in Okami is hardly relaxing though. Very different take. I guess fishing is one of the few sports (if you want to call it that) in videogames where it's still designed to be a game in its own right, with fishing only really serving as a facade, as opposed to other sport games which have gradually become more and more a simulation over the years.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Despite being somewhat of a Heavy Rain fan, for some reason I have not been that bothered about Beyond. However, after playing the first couple of hours last night I am totally gripped by it. Got it on rental from Boomerang so will probably plough through it in the next couple of nights. And boy does it look stunning on my new Sony Bravia TV.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Also bought Muramasa on Vita last night which is all kinds of fun and very pretty to match.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I've had the stunning Wii version since its 2009 release, but I am now keen to eBay that and download the Vita version for extra portability and prettiness...