Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Buckled Kipper

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Buckled Kipper »

It's definitely a great fit for the Vita. My only grumble is that I wish they'd put more save points in now that it's on a handheld.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hmmm, that sounds like a bind. I suppose you can suspend it anyway if needs be.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Problem is that my son uses my Vita in the day so whatever is suspended gets lost. May have to treat him to his own vita soon.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Argos are doing them for £140 or something at the moment I think.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I love Muramasa, and ever since they announced it on Vita I've been wishing that they would release that version on other consoles too. That art style would be unbelievable given the full HD treatment. Also from what I've seen, the changes to the dialogue in the Vita version is a big improvement, not to mention giving the game an actual jump button. But thinking about it now I just realised that we actually will get a chance to play the Vita version on a big HD TV, when the Vita TV comes out. That little thing looks really appealing to me.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I loved the Wii version, and wasn't even aware a Vita port was in development, so this is party time!!
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Reached the final boss of Dragon's Crown, and it's an absolute ballache. It sucks that the one time continues would be useful, they're disabled for this fight. Levelled up a few times and had several attempts, but I fall way short everytime. Pretty annoying.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I've been playing a game I haven't played in a long time. Mini Ninjas! I just got an urge to go back to that game again recently. Really love that little game. It's never going to blow any minds, but it's just really charming and calming. I think it's pretty underrated, mostly just because it's not the kind of thing people are really looking for in this console generation. Maybe if it came out on the PS2 or GC it would have been a cult classic.

Also been playing WW HD some more. I'm actually almost finished. Next thing to do in the main quest line is Ganon's Castle. Done a fair bit of the side stuff too. I think that game gives me headaches though. Constantly changing focus between the TV screen and the Pad strains my eyes.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The House Of The Dead collection is a steal for £6 on the PS store at the moment (3, 4 and Overkill) so I borrowed a move controller from my son and have been playing those. Overkill is shit but HD versions of 3 and 4 are well worth the admission fee. Shame the second (and best) game wasn't released on PSN but these will keep me going a while. I love the HOTD games!!
Tony1979na

Post by Tony1979na »

Alex79uk wrote:The House Of The Dead collection is a steal for £6 on the PS store at the moment (3, 4 and Overkill) so I borrowed a move controller from my son and have been playing those. Overkill is shit but HD versions of 3 and 4 are well worth the admission fee. Shame the second (and best) game wasn't released on PSN but these will keep me going a while. I love the HOTD games!!
I'm seriously going to have to check those out, I use to love pumping quarters/tokens into those games. And besides I got this Move controller that's just sitting here and only being used to play two games (Portal 2 and RE5:Gold Edition).

Currently I'm playing through Nier (what a fantastic little game) and doing a second playthrough of Dragons Dogma:DA with a melee/fighter only character.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Went back to Jak and Daxter:The Precursor Legacy this week, i had half of it done a while back and found the urge to finish it up. Never played them when they were originally out and was surprised how good it was in a HD coat. I just found out after i finished it that i could triple jump with my character :oops: Not knowing this made some of the sections controller breakingly frustrating. If i had a swear jar during the later levels i would be flat broke. But i stubbornly completed it anyway.
Bought Bodycount on the latest PSN sale for a few euro and it was better than i had thought, due to scathing reviews on its release, i was expecting a steaming pile of shite. Its not that bad, i played MoH:Warfighter earlier this year and felt it was worse than Bodycount. The story was absolute pants but the shooting was solid and provided a tidy little challenge on normal mode. Short enough campaign though, under six hours.
Breezed through The Unfinished Swan lately too. Lovely little game with some nice ideas. Would recommend anyone to check it out.
While on holliers a few weeks ago i played and finished Mutant Blobs Attack and Gravity Rush on the Vita. Man that is a sweet little handheld, so much power in such a small machine.
Last but not least i hammered through to complete the GTA 5 campaign. Superb, from start to finish, one of the best games of its generation on a technical standpoint.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Tony1979na wrote: Currently I'm playing through Nier (what a fantastic little game) and doing a second playthrough of Dragons Dogma:DA with a melee/fighter only character.
I recently started a second playthrough on Dragon's Dogma too. I was thinking about going for the mage/fighter hybrid class. Went with basic fighter first run through. Really fun class to play. You get to equip double the number of special skills with the basic three classes too, for some reason.

But the game that's drawn me away from carrying on with that has been Nier. Been talking about that here recently. Just did some quests in a town where everyone (i.e three people...) were stuck within dream worlds. It was fun going through their little dream side-stories, although kind of disappointing only being able to do so in text form, even if it was justified within the game. At least it made for some interesting fourth wall breaking. Although, would it really be a fourth wall? It's more like creating another fourth (fifth?) wall in the centre of the stage and then breaking through that instead. Hard to explain.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Alex79uk wrote:The House Of The Dead collection is a steal for £6 on the PS store at the moment (3, 4 and Overkill) so I borrowed a move controller from my son and have been playing those. Overkill is shit but HD versions of 3 and 4 are well worth the admission fee. Shame the second (and best) game wasn't released on PSN but these will keep me going a while. I love the HOTD games!!
Yeah the HOTD series is brilliant, I thought Overkill was alright, enjoyed co-oping it with a mate. Also have fond memories of playing The Typing Of The Dead on Dreamcast.

Currently playing several games on my Vita, Velocity Ultra, Spelunky, Lone Survivor and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2. It's a brilliant machine, so anyone tempted by Argos' current deal would do well to grab one.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

If you could skip the cut scenes, Overkill wouldn't be half bad. Once you get in to it, it's actually a decent game at it's core. It's not like the other HOTD games where you just spam the trigger. In this one you need to pick your shots better. Ok, this guy is running at me, I'll take his legs out, then kill the guys behind him, now I'll finish him off etc. It's a lot more involved than it would first appear.

In other news, I'm totally diving back in to my Gamecube collection. I finally found a Gamecube USB loader, so I've got all my games installed to a USB HDD now, and can run them off that without the discs - good times!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Heh, I hated Overkill compared to the Sega's own HotD games. To me it felt horribly under-designed compared to the expertly paced and designed enemy patterns of the Sega AM1 arcade games, quite the opposite of how you found it, Alex. It might have helped quite a bit if I'd found Overkill funny but I missed the accidental humour of the Japanese games so much, and Overkill's shtick left me cold.

I was horribly disappointed that I'd paid full price for the set with the Hand Cannon gun peripheral on Wii :(
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah, whilst I like the grindhouse styling of it in general, the 'script', 'humour' and casual misogyny is pretty cringing. If you could only skip past that it wouldn't be so bad. I actually tried the 3D in it last night - I used the specs from my Coraline bluray, and wow, it actually worked really, really well! It was quite a blast playing it in 3D, till I got a headache and turned it off again! (It's not that fancy 3D they have now, literally put that green and red ghosting 3D effect over the graphics, but it was surprisingly effective).
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

If only my fucked-up eyes and brain could get together to 'see' or 'understand' 3D!
I wonder, does it make it easier to aim, or harder?
Or is it just a case if it looking more effective and exciting?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It did ever so slightly hinder aiming, you certainly wouldn't want to play with it turned on for long, but it was impressive, technically. It didn't make anything pop out the screen, but it added real depth to those long corridors etc.
Woodfella

Post by Woodfella »

I have obtained a copy of haunting ground off ebay. It arrived today and to my surprise it is sealed! Now I am quite reluctant to open it. Guess it doesnt matter anyway as it hasnt stopped pissing it down long enough for me to walk 2 miles to the post office to collect my ps2 :(
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Woodfella wrote:I have obtained a copy of haunting ground off ebay. It arrived today and to my surprise it is sealed! Now I am quite reluctant to open it. Guess it doesnt matter anyway as it hasnt stopped pissing it down long enough for me to walk 2 miles to the post office to collect my ps2 :(
Let me know how it is if you would. Always wanted to play it. Plan on going through Clock Tower 3 soon. Those are the two horror games I always regretted not playing at the time :).