Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Roy42

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Roy42 »

Times like these I wish companies would do the thing that phone companies (or companies with outsourced, script-reading tech support drones) do whenever you're dissatisfied with them: bend over backwards to make things better for you.

Tell someone at MS/Sony/Nintendo/Twitch/Whatever you're going to stop using their services/products because it won't work/their customer service is horrible? They scoff and say "There's millions where you came from. Disappear, you little insect." Call up your phone company (at least for me when I've done it) and tell the person you're planning on switching providers, they'll immediately put you on to their supervisor, supervisor starts saying "are you sure you want to switch? 'Cause we're prepared to give you a brand new phone on a really good contract if you reconsider."

Obviously they're not doing this because they value you as a person, but because they value the money that you give them and know that if you're not giving it to them, you're giving it to their competitors. I suppose it's a tradeoff of being able to talk to "real people" on the company's Twitter help desk.

Anyway, what were we talking about?

Videogames? What are those?
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Just tried out the Lords of Shadow 2 demo on 360. They've got a sale on Castlevania games on XBLA right now, which included Mirror of Fate HD (good time to pick it up if you haven't already), so I got that to try out the demo. I deliberated for a few moments, but I thought that £5 isn't really that much, and I wouldn't have had a problem buying the game initially at £15, which is how much it's cost me including the PSN version. Also, adding in the ability to try out both versions of the demo adds a reasonable amount of value to that price for me.

Anyway, as for the demo itself, any differences seemed insignificant. The main thing I was looking out for was frame rate, since that's the reason I went for the PS3 version in the first place. Seemed totally fine on 360. Maybe it was a tiny bit less smooth, but that may have just been my perception, because I was paying extra close attention to it. It's still easily playable though, and a big improvement over the first. I think the shadows may be a little worse on the 360 version though. Again, only to an insignificant degree, but it was something that I noticed without necessarily looking for it. Although that may also have been because I was scrutinising it so closely, but I'm pretty sure I noticed something that wasn't a problem in the PS3 version. In certain places shadows just looked a little jaggy, where they didn't seem to on the PS3.

I did also want to see how it played with a different controller too. I prefer the 360 controller, so I wanted to see if that made the experience better on 360, even if it didn't run quite as well. There wasn't really any difference. The 360s triggers and thumbsticks do feel better, as they naturally do, but I've played through the PS3 version several times paying close attention to the controls there as well. It was never a problem. I didn't find myself performing better on the 360 either. Outside of practice, of course. I can get through the tough platforming bit with ease now. Didn't make a single mistake this time. But there was one other difference in the controls I wasn't expecting to notice.

On my 360, I never use rumble. I just got in to the habit of not using it years ago, since I used to like using wireless controllers on the previous gen consoles, and it used to eat through batteries at an astonishing rate. So I just turned rumble off and never felt like I was missing anything, and never went back. I've also found that if I use rumble on my 360 pads now, the batteries shake loose, so I can't use it anyway. But recently I've gotten several new consoles, and started using rumble on those again, and found that it's much less distracting than I thought it would be. Still never felt like it really added anything though. But now I've played through this demo with rumble off, I'm shocked at how much it actually added to the experience. It made the combat feel so much more tangible. It just made the whole experience more immersive, and made it feel much more... immense. I guess that just sounds like a load of pretentious buzz words, but it really is how it made it feel. So yeah, I'm sticking with the PS3 version.

Also played some Forza 5. Played quite a bit of Rivals mode, actually. I never really bothered with it in previous Forza games. Always seemed like little more than a glorified version of hot lapping for leaderboard times. Something I usually find pretty tedious. But I've found it much more enjoyable in Forza 5. In previous games, they've made it so you could only go against one opponent at a time, but now every time you set a lap time, it changes who you're up against, mid-race. It even does this when you're not even in Rivals mode! It just constantly records you laptimes and references it against the leaderboards no matter what you're doing. But I was focusing on lapping in the dedicated Rivals mode today, because you don't have to deal with A.I cars crashing in to you, or four of them all trying to go for the same apex in front of you and blocking you off. Anyway, the way it changes your rival every time you beat one is great. It gives this feeling of progression as you're driving round the track. You're not just racing one other ghost, you're actively climbing up the leaderboards with every single lap. It's a fun feeling. It also pays you quite a lot of reward money for doing it too, so it's actually a valid way to make money. It even pays you a reasonable amount for just trying, so your time isn't wasted if you can't climb any ranks.

Speaking of in-game payouts, they added the patch that changes how that works in the game too. You now get 70k each time you level up, which is twice what it was before. It feels like you level faster too, but I'm not sure. They also lowered the prices for some of the more expensive cars in the game. I didn't take a close look, but I noticed the Aston Martin One-77 was something like 980k, where before I think it was 2 million. Lower price cars are still the same though.

So yeah, I guess my earlier impressions are holding up. It's great fun to actually play the game, but when I start thinking about the game from a wider perspective, while I'm not playing it, it still leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. It's not quite as bad now, since they've tweaked the money stuff. It's still got a really long way to go to be totally fixed though. I don't think that will really ever happen though. Unless they decide to release all DLC from now on for free, and pump it out at three times the pace they are now, which is already pretty fast. But that's impossible.

And on the topic of racing sims, I also played more GT6. That also has some pretty interesting things going on with its in-game economy. Turns out, if you play the game for several days in a row, it increases the payouts from prize money. After five days in a row it goes up to double the normal rate. No more from there though. Still pretty cool. I think that was added in from a patch that was released not long ago for that game as well. But it seems there's a new patch almost every time I play that game though. Although it seems to have slowed down now, I don't see how they could have put them out as fast as they were before. It was a patch a day for several days in a row at one point. What could they even change in that time? I also finally got gifted the car I was supposed to have got from playing the GT Academy demo. No idea how that took so long to arrive.

But screw all that tedious bollocks. As for actually playing the game, I'm still having fun. But I'm starting to get this creeping feeling that the game is pretty shoddily put together... The more I look at cars and tracks the more I'm getting the feeling that the game was designed with the idea of quantity over quality. The non-premium cars often have pretty abysmal models. Sound effects are still a bit naff across the board. The modelling of some tracks is a bit lacking too. Not exactly bad, but simply "okay". But even so, some have problems like a lot of pop-in with crowds and stuff, and ugly looking shadows.

But on top of all that, the resolution of the game doesn't look great either. I don't know exactly what the problem is, but I'm guessing it's that the game totally lacks any form of anti-aliasing. The image always looks pretty pixelated. And there's something about how the image is displayed as well. I get the feeling that there's some form of subtle filter over the image, especially in replays, that's designed to muddy the picture to hide the ugliness. But it just ends up looking ugly with the muddiness anyway. I'm really starting to believe that the vast majority of trailers and official screenshots released for the game were total bullshots. Cherry picked camera angles with higher resolution and much more anti-aliasing than the game actually renders.

It feels like so much of it was added in without much care. Like most of these cars are still direct ports of PS2 models, and crappy PS2 models at that. Yet they were just put in the game without anyone examining them to see if they were up to an acceptable quality. Or they simply didn't bother trying to update it because they'd rather just fill the game with more and more content. I suppose with the amount of content they have put in the game, trying to bring it all up to a high quality would just be too difficult a task. But if that's the case, then Polyphony painted themselves in to that corner, when they should have known better.

But still, this stuff isn't a huge deal. The game is still fun. It's just every now and then as I'm playing, or more often watching a replay, and I just notice these really ugly aspects, and realise that this is a Gran Turismo game released in 2013. Even on a PS3, it's a really deflating feeling.

And bloody hell, this went on forever. Maybe I should try to stop waffling on like this when I post. I always end up writing something way longer than I intend to, even when I know I want to go in to detail.
James

Post by James »

Hearing Tom Bissell on Brainy Gamer and Tone Control prompted me to try out Gears Of War: Judgement. I had no desire to at the time, but I've heard some promising things about it. It'll be nice to tuck into a Gears game without much in the way of expectation, and separated from the release by a good few months.

I'm trying to get through a few 2013 games that I missed. Gears: Judgement, Gunpoint, and the 3DS triple-threat of Luigi's Mansion, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and Fire Emblem: Awakening are on my radar over the next few weeks. :)
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Don't want to derail the thread too much, but the 2013 Cane and Rinse award for most epic post goes to Scrustle! :D
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Finnaly getting to play Puppeteer I think this game might have gone unnoticed thanks to other big titles but this was definitely one of the games I was looking foward to play this year,so far it's has been pretty fun the game is beautifull to look at with the whole puppet show aesthetic and also has some interesting mechanics like switching heads for diferent abilities and using your magic scissor to cut enemies and other things,it also has a pretty entertening story.If I have one criticism is that the game is too easy but since plataformers arent my forté im fine with it,also great game for co-op.

I also finnished playing a visual novel by the name of Cinders which is a re-telling of the cinderela story,and in my opinion much better than the original, they managed to give a lot of character to an otherwise very boring tale it reminded me a little of the writing in the witcher to some degree which I guess it makes sense since this is also made in Poland,oh and the artstyle is amazing seriously you dont even have play the game but just look up on google images it's very cool looking.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I just bought Gran Turismo 6 as a bit of a Christmas present to myself today whilst out on a six hour shopping spree in which I did all my Christmas shopping. Looking forward to playing it later after I've wrapped this mountain of presents >_<

Also, because I used to love football games when I was younger and haven't played a FIFA since about 2002, I bought a copy of FIFA 2012 from CEX this afternoon on PS3 for 20p. TWENTY FUCKING PENCE! Mind blown.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The creators of Flatout have a new game out today albeit in Early Access form. Here's a couple gifs I made just in case you're wondering what it's like.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Finished The Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 1. It was good but very very dark from the start. I thought the scene where you had to
Spoiler: show
Stitch yourself up was a bit ott and grim

It might just be me but I thought it was a tad short compared to season one but excellent stuff
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Anyone tried the new Broken Sword game yet? I'm thinking of getting it. Huge fan of the first two, like everyone else, but felt disappointed with the 3rd and 4th (like everyone else...) I'm hoping this is a return to form.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

JaySevenZero wrote:Don't want to derail the thread too much, but the 2013 Cane and Rinse award for most epic post goes to Scrustle! :D
I'm not sure about "epic". Unless epic means waffling on complaining about little nitpicks.

And on that note, Jesus, who did they get to do the subtitles on Assassin's Creed 4? Random capitalisation everywhere! It's driving me nuts. Pretty inexcusable for a company as large and multicultural as Ubisoft.

I went back to Nier after all, too. I decided to just go through the story missions, since there aren't really that many. It's really cool how they give you extra insight in to events earlier in the game. Kind of makes you feel bad about some of the stuff you've done, too.

I've always been unclear on what the deal with The Aerie is too, but I think I might have worked out what's going on there...
All the residents are Shades, and they always were. Apart from the fact that stay inside all the time and tell people to go away, I've always wondered what their problem with Kaine was, exactly. At first I thought it was because she's half Shade, or whatever she technically is. But in her backstory they tell you that she didn't always used to be like that, and she was persecuted long before she became possessed. So maybe she was an outcast because she was human. It would also perhaps explain why that giant Shade decided to attack her and her grandma in the first place. Maybe the residents just got fed up of them hanging around and decided to deal with them for good.

And of course, when you fight that boss in The Aerie in the second half of the game, it's supposed to be made up of all the residents. Maybe they weren't sucked up by a monster, or possessed against their own will, but they were just trying to fight back against invaders, i.e., you. Plus, you get subtitled dialogue from the Shades in NG+ during that section of the game, which shows they think of you that way. And there's that kid with his sister too, which Kaine kills. He doesn't seem to care that she supposedly was a Shade. Maybe that's because he knew all along. Or maybe he was just a stupid JRPG character who says stuff like that. Who knows.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Alex79uk wrote:Anyone tried the new Broken Sword game yet? I'm thinking of getting it. Huge fan of the first two, like everyone else, but felt disappointed with the 3rd and 4th (like everyone else...) I'm hoping this is a return to form.
Have played about an hour or so. Very impressed so far. Deffinately feels like old school Broken Sword. Look bleeding great on the vita screen too.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I just finished off Okamiden, finally. Surprisingly great game! Even though it's not made by Clover, the developers did a really good job of emulating the feel of the original. The tone of it is spot on. It's as good as you would expect an Okami game on a DS could possibly be. As much as I'd love Okami to be in the hands of Platinum, I'd be totally okay with this team creating another Okami game in the future. The ending certainly teases the possibility of a sequel. Not that that means much nowadays, really. But interestingly, it teased that a future game would revolve around Kuni, Susanoo and Kushi's adopted son, rather than any variation of Okami.

But bloody hell, that ending went on forever. The whole game has very lengthy cutscenes throughout, in fact. Far longer than any other handheld game I've ever played. But the ending was the longest of all of them. I wasn't keeping track of time, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out it went on for far longer than half an hour. Maybe even over 45 minutes. The long cutscenes don't really lend the game to being the "pick up and play" kind of experience you expect on handhelds. If you were to try to play it like that, I'd expect you might even find that you couldn't even get through a single cutscene in any given opportunity you have to play. Feels more like you're supposed to play it like the original. Set aside long periods of time to sit down and lose yourself in it for an afternoon. Not a quick go while you're commuting, or whatever.

I also played some more of SotN recently too, and I've actually been having fun with it. I just booted it up a few days ago because I was bored and couldn't think of anything else to play. Wasn't really expecting to get invested in it, but I had fun. And I did again today. Just as I thought I was ready to give up on it it's starting to turn around, it seems. I'm not getting annoyed with controls, and I feel like progress is happening much faster and more smoothly. I certainly seem to have been leveling up faster than I was previously. I even stumbled upon a boss by accident and managed to beat them in the first attempt.

I also found the shop, which gave me some amusement from the voice acting. It's hilarious. I love the way Alucard says "I'm interested in this", like it's incredibly important that he announce it every time he looks at an item. And the way the shopkeeper turns around so quickly and is eager to help you as soon as Alucard says he will make it worth his while. Apparently Dracula isn't such a terrifying tyrant after all if this guy so easily and happily defies him.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Been playing a bit of Gran Turismo 6, and enjoying it, although I can't argue with anything Scrustle said. The game doesn't seem to have evolved since number 3 on the PS2 really. Glad they scrapped the pointless B-Spec mode. Whilst I never used to play it at all I always felt like I was missing something so if rather it wasn't there at all. Seems an odd choice to limit online play to those that have gained their A class license too. I'm not a big online player with regard to racing games but I can see it might annoy some people. All in all, more of the same, but my son is pleased as he's inherited my copy of GT5 anyway.

Otherwise been playing Trials Evolution. I loved Trials HD and only just got round to getting this new(er) one. It's great but seems so, so much easier. I've breezed through the game really.

Also, Bleed on XBLIG after Chet & Jon have been championing it all year. It's great! Get it, for £2 you're laughing!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I spent a couple of hours last night playing Brothers on the PS3 (under a fiver on the store at the moment). It's good. I really like it. It just throws idea after idea at you, and never outstays it's welcome. Not finished it yet, but I don't think I can be too far off as I've heard it's quite short. I'd not read a single review of the game before playing it, so really had no idea what to expect. I suppose a lazy comparison would be that it's like a cross between Ico and Fable. But yeah, if you've not played it it's basically a puzzler in which you guide two brothers through a fantasy world with the sole objective of getting from A to B. But the puzzles are great. They're not hard, not a single one challenged me whatsoever - I mean not even for a second, the solutions are always incredibly obvious, but there's a certain charm about how you solve them, and there are one or two really touching moments in the game too. Recommended.

EDIT : Ah ok, so I just found and read the Brothers thread. Sounds like I'm preaching to the converted!
Beck

Post by Beck »

You've convinced me to pick it up ;)
kappisun

Post by kappisun »

My ps3 gaming came to a stop other night with arrival of yellow light of death. So I decided to get persona 4 golden on vita as josh keeps recommending it. Was a bit wary as jrpgs not normally my thing but played 4hrs & it's brilliant. Really interesting characters & it's got me hooked. Will certainly be the game to keep me occupied whilst I decide to replace ps3 or just get ps4
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I wish I'd grabbed that in the sale now

I started Beyond: Two Souls tonight. Love it so far. The sense of power you have when controlling Aiden is brilliant I think. Man those kids at the party got what they deserved.

:D
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Played a little of Metal Gear Rising today. The level where you fight Monsoon at the end. Bloody hell, I love that boss fight. So exhilarating. Everything just comes together so perfectly at that moment.

Also played a little of The Bridge. It was on sale not long ago so I decided to pick it up. Pretty cool little game, and I love the Escher-esque art style to it. Really interesting puzzles too, which can be really tricky at times. It's one of those games which force you to think in a way you haven't done before, which is exactly what I aim to get out of games like that. It does come off as a little pretentious though. I usually hate that word, but with the black and white visuals, the Escher art style, and especially some of the monologue text that's used to tell the story, it sometimes comes across as being a little bit up its own arse. Still a fun and unique game though.

Apart from that I haven't really been playing as much these past few days. A little bit of Forza and GT6 I suppose, but not massively getting in to them. Been playing Assassin's Creed 4 as well, but I haven't felt bothered to play that recently. Starting to think I made a mistake in getting it.

But I have been doing some other game related stuff I wanted to talk about. Through yesterday and today I finally sat down and listened to LoS's soundtrack all the way through. It's a bit odd listening to that out of the context of the game. Sometimes it makes for good listening on its own, and sometimes it feels too much like just background music. Like it was meant to add to the tone of the game at a certain moment, so it's a little boring to listen to while you're not playing. I found listening with headphones helped that feeling though. Having it right in your ears with a good set of headphones allows you to immerse yourself in it much more. I love the way it swells with the strings and the choir. Fantastic. It seemed like a lot of the tracks were actually several completely separate tracks played together though. Don't really get why they would have done that, since a lot of them were completely unrelated songs.

Also watched the epilogue of the game again. I really like that scene. It feels very quotable, and Stewart and Carlyle's delivery is perhaps the best in the whole game. I suppose they gave them both a little more to work with there than they had in the rest of the game. I also noticed something I didn't recognise before. There's a part earlier on in the scene where you see the skeleton of some monster. Watching it this time I realised it looks like it belongs to one of the monsters you fight as the first boss in SotN:
I've also been fiddling with my PS3 controller. Or, thinking about doing so. I decided I wanted to do something about the thumbsticks and triggers, so I bought some little add-ons to supposedly improve them. I ordered some little covers for the thumbsticks, and some of those clip-on trigger extender things. So far only the thumbstick covers have arrived, so I've been trying those out. It actually came with two different pairs of covers. I initially went for them because one set were concave, shaped somewhat like 360 thumbsticks. After trying them a bit I've found that they add too much elevation to really be usable. It was just awkward and forced my hand in to an uncomfortable position. So I'm trying out the other ones, which are more rounded like the standard sticks, but they have lots of dimples on them for grip. Haven't really tested them out yet, but they seem better. They are a little ugly though, and strangely, one of them bulges out in the centre much more than the other. Not sure I like that.

But I was considering simply replacing the sticks completely. I hear that you can easily swap in 360 controller sticks, so I was thinking about trying that. Has anyone here tried doing that? I've seen videos of people dismantling a PS3 controller, and it seems easy enough, but I'm still unsure about it. I only have one controller and I don't want to have to buy another if I break this one.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Do you need to be up to speed with the MGS storyline to enjoy Rising? I've only ever played the first one back on my PS1.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh, also, I totally ballsed up opening a PS3 controller and had to shell out for a new one a few months back >_<