Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Roy42

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Roy42 »

At last reached the point of Deadly Premonition where there's just a couple of sidequests remaining, all of which don't activate until the late-game (or, in the case of the final trading card sidequest, can't be completed until late-game). So I'm free to finally cruise through the rest of it. Still enjoying it; still haven't taken any damage.

I'm immensely curious as to how I might have reacted to both the gameplay and the story had I never seen anything about this game before. Which is mainly why I'm going to basically force my eldest brother to play this. I want to gauge the behaviour of a person who knows literally nothing about this game.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Well into Modern Warfare 3, just done *that* bit which I did find midly offensive, don't know why it's as unnecessary as the one in 2 but that didn't bother me. Anyway it's a great roller coaster ride but in no way worth £40 due to its length. Surely MW4 should retail at £20? ;)

More Battlefield 3 tonight once the Mrs buggers off!
Mr Nicey

Post by Mr Nicey »

Conan...

It's good now and then to remind yourselves how poorly polished games can be and how some designers have come leaps and bounds forward from games with poor combat systems and macho sexism dropping from every cut scene.

This game puts my gaming barometer back in line - mindless rubbish :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

A few people recommended Conan to me so I almost bought it when it was super-cheap (under £3) in the On Demand sale recently. I was sceptical as to its merits however.

I'm playing Half-Life for the podcast and I returned to Catherine last night after a long lay-off. Some of the 'bosses' are really freaky. There are a lot of interesting aspects to this game - which doesn't speak particularly highly of either men or women - however the actual Kurushi meets Pullblox style puzzling is pretty frustrating. The vibe is perhaps closest to Deadly Premonition in some ways although this is far beyond that in terms of presentation. I'm intrigued to see where the story ends up but if the actual game gets too maddening I'll return it to LoveFilm and watch the rest on YouTube.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

playing FTL on PC, and Rocket Riot on XBLA
Rocket riot is becoming a bit of a grind, the further into the campaign mode I get, the longer it's taking me to complete a level, and it can be a little frustrating when you have to take out 60 bad guys and then die with 3 left to go!
MrTingg

Post by MrTingg »

So, for the past 2 months or so I have been playing Arma 2 DayZ mod. The Arma engine is a little funky sometimes but the game is one of the most immersive experiences I have ever had in a game. The "fear" of permanent death, or at least starting all over again is really heart pumpingly(not sure thats a word) epic. Also the whole "friendly or not" constant paranioa is overwhelming at times. The game goes stand alone soon and I will be picking it up day one for sure.

Also, Mount and blade warband is a really fun game when it comes to getting chopped to bits by everyone else because i suck at it, lol.
Mr Nicey

Post by Mr Nicey »

ratsoalbion wrote:A few people recommended Conan to me so I almost bought it when it was super-cheap (under £3) in the On Demand sale recently. I was sceptical as to its merits however.
That's when I picked it up - I really don't think it offers anything in the way of gameplay or visuals or sexism that you can't get elsewhere in a more polished version.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I'm sending Catherine back to LoveFilm after getting just over half way through. It's a fascinating, funny game with superb presentation and great ideas, however, I found the puzzle stages themselves increasingly frustrating. I've already had the game on rental for several months and the chances of me completing all of the stages on Easy, let alone Normal or Hard with Gold Awards any time are minimal. Instead I elected to see how the events play out on YouTube (there are eight endings of which I watched the two 'extreme' examples and read up on the rest). In an ideal world of infinite time I would persist but there are more fun games, even within the puzzle genre, that I'd rather be playing - so I had to acknowledge and accept that what I liked most about Catherine was the story, setting and characters.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I've had it on my Lovefilm rental list for a while, I've heard the puzzle bits are awful. Might just YouTube it as you have and save me the pain.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I wouldn't say they're awful, they're just rather tough!
For fans of Kurushi, Crush and/or Pullblox I think there's probably a decent, fast-paced logic puzzler there.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Planned to spend all night playing Battlefield but my internet went off last night! :( decided to put more time into MW3. It's a bit like playing FIFA after a long session of PES, you keep pressing the opposite buttons. I ran up to a guard and threw a grenade past him instead of knife! :). I think MW2 & 3 remind me of the old light gun games where basically you move from area to area shoot what's there and move on but in this case you follow someone. I'll try one round of the MP tonight to see how it compares to Battlefield. There's no online pass for NW3 is there?
link6616

Post by link6616 »

I've actually finally picked up my copy of Rhythm Tengoku which i picked up last time in Japan but never actually got around to playing, but listening to the podcast today, couldn't help myself...

So wonderful
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The GBA original yeah? Nice!
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I played some more Payday: The Heist last night. When I first tried to get into it I felt it was a bit unfair, but you kind of get into a rhythm of how the game works and then it suddenly becomes this really intense but managable experience.

It definitely took some influence from Left 4 Dead, using large numbers of opposition to swamp you and forcing you to play together to survive. You have to be on your game to get through a stage, but there is a real feeling of accomplishment when you do.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Indiana747 wrote:Ok, thats MGS4 done and dusted.
Now my random game generator mini game has spat out Dead Space 2.
So, i'm off to the far reaches of space to shoot the limbs off of necromorphs. :)
Your random game generator is certainly being very generous for you Don. That's a hell of a game. Did you play the first game already? It's pretty key for numerous reasons.
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

Was about start playing LBP Vita just now, but it needs an online code entering, ...which means a trip to the PS Store...which won't open as I need to download update 1.81....which you can't do over 3G....modern gaming people!
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Xantiriad wrote:Was about start playing LBP Vita just now, but it needs an online code entering, ...which means a trip to the PS Store...which won't open as I need to download update 1.81....which you can't do over 3G....modern gaming people!
You could set your iPhone to be a hotspot and download it that way?
Sean

Post by Sean »

Can you play it online over 3G anyway? Some Vita games require wi-fi for online play. I haven't checked if LBP is playable that way.

Regardless, not being able to update over 3G is a pretty shitty oversight on Sony's part. It's been out almost a year, and, I can't see any reason as to why it even has 3G.
PlexShaw

Post by PlexShaw »

Presumably the online code is required to access user created levels etc? My copy should be sat waiting for me at home.
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

Yes. It's £7.99 if you don't buy new.