Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Xantiriad

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Xantiriad »

Sean wrote:Can you play it online over 3G anyway? Some Vita games require wi-fi for online play. I haven't checked if LBP is playable that way.

Regardless, not being able to update over 3G is a pretty shitty oversight on Sony's part. It's been out almost a year, and, I can't see any reason as to why it even has 3G.
You can. It even has a 3G usage meter in the settings.
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

NokkonWud wrote: You could set your iPhone to be a hotspot and download it that way?
Which is what I did.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Xantiriad wrote:
Sean wrote:Can you play it online over 3G anyway? Some Vita games require wi-fi for online play. I haven't checked if LBP is playable that way.

Regardless, not being able to update over 3G is a pretty shitty oversight on Sony's part. It's been out almost a year, and, I can't see any reason as to why it even has 3G.
You can. It even has a 3G usage meter in the settings.
Ah, nice! Resistance: BS couldn't be played over 3G, and, since it's the same developer, I imagine CoD:D won't be able to either. I'm sure it's be tough to program something like that, but, being able to play multiplayer anywhere was a big selling point for Vita. Glad that at least some developers are taking advantage of it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Looking forward to starting Sleeping Dogs on the PS3 today.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Few long sessions on Battlefield 3, but I've just started Jet Set Radio HD. Forgot how much I love this game especially the music, but I totally forgot about the annoying insta-fails when you have to copy what a skater does to get you on your team.
mik

Post by mik »

Torchlight II
Black Mesa
LittleBigPlanet Vita

It's been a gooooooooood week. :)
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Currently I just can't put down Rock Band Blitz, I've easily downloaded 50 new songs for it in like a week.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Modern Warfare 3 done!. Really enjoyed it
Spoiler: show
gutted when soap died.
. The trilogy has been an enjoyable roller coaster and a distraction from what I normally play. Back to Rage now I guess!
NEILY84

Post by NEILY84 »

Just started torchlight2 and about 10hours in too borderlands2. Two great games :-)
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I've ended up going back to Super Meat Boy this week. I think playing Trials HD for the time attack thread got me thinking about that retry retry retry style of gameplay.

I had completed the normal worlds, but I've now worked my way through to the last stage of Cotton Alley. I think I'll get it tonight, though I haven't dared look to see how far through the stage I am actually getting. I don't know whether to go back in and try to complete the game in dark world, or if it will just get ridiculous.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

magicjoef wrote:I've ended up going back to Super Meat Boy this week. I think playing Trials HD for the time attack thread got me thinking about that retry retry retry style of gameplay.

I had completed the normal worlds, but I've now worked my way through to the last stage of Cotton Alley. I think I'll get it tonight, though I haven't dared look to see how far through the stage I am actually getting. I don't know whether to go back in and try to complete the game in dark world, or if it will just get ridiculous.
You're a better person than me!
I got to a boss in Super meat boy and it finished me! I must go back and try it again sometime.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Super Meat Boy really wasn't a difficult game, all told.
Mr Nicey

Post by Mr Nicey »

Super Meat boy - damn that game - I lost a 4-6 hour play session due to a big (completing 2/3 of cotton valley too) which means I haven't been back. I true a couple of the dark void levels but I found the game crazy hard :(

The revisit to Trials HD was cool think I am gena head back to that and and go chevo hunting once I am done with Prcs Must Die
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Roy42 wrote:Super Meat Boy really wasn't a difficult game, all told.
Tell that to my thumbs!
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

I've been slowly chipping away at Kid Icarus Uprising, a couple of levels per session to avoid my hands turning into hideous gnarled claws. Really gorgeous looking game, nicely put together and very funny. Getting near the end now.

Also put in about 8 hours on Mass Effect 3 this week. Beyond spending a bit more time using the menu (I played Soldier in ME2, now an Adept) I'm not finding too many interesting new wrinkles to the combat but I guess it's early days. Also, I realise the entire series has been leading up to the return of the Reapers but I've played out this whole alien invasion scenario so many times in so many games that I'm finding it hard to get excited about saving the Universe. I think I preferred the way the previous game was set up where it was less about this persistent threat and more just flying around the galaxy recruiting folk. It's all a bit po-faced so far. Again, early days though.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

PressEscToExit wrote:I think I preferred the way the previous game was set up where it was less about this persistent threat and more just flying around the galaxy recruiting folk.
The thing that jarred with me a bit in Mass Effect 3 was how that first sequence showed how devistating the Reaper's power was, yet during the game I could hang out at a bar or run off and find a missing document for someone.

I wouldn't want to lose that freedom from a Mass Effect game, and I understand there is always a bit of that with how side quests work in RPGs, but I felt the pacing could have been handled better. I found it hard to believe that anything was holding back the Reapers while I was swanning off around the galaxy!
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Mr Nicey wrote:The revisit to Trials HD was cool think I am gena head back to that and and go chevo hunting once I am done with Prcs Must Die
I only bought Trials Evolution, but the specific achievements for beating certain levels under certain criteria (always be on fire, no leaning, etc.) are actually really fun challenges. Partially makes me want to get HD, in fact.

After the last week or so of playing FTL on the normal difficulty, I bumped it down to easy for comparison's sake. Almost felt insulting, the amount of scrap and weapons and drones and crew it kept throwing at me. Which made it even more disheartening when my totally decked-out ship got pulverised against the rebel flagship in no time flat, because I don't ever want to go back to it being that easy in the build-up, but I don't even get the chance to get to the final sector on normal. Aside from that, technical issues that have caused me to either die or get put in severely awful situations have slowly been making me not want to bother playing it anymore.

Got 45 seconds on Hexagonest and almost at 60 seconds in Hyper Mode Hexagon, also.

I've been waiting for a free evening to finish up Deadly Premonition, but I've got just the last two boss fights to go, along with picking up the final trading cards and weapons. Best game of the entire generation.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive has turned out to be an effective podcast game. Time really just passes in a heartbeat while I play Arms Race in it.

Gave Summer Camp Studios' Fart Cat a go, also. Hilarious and fun little game that really inspires me to stop screwing about and actually make a game for iOS. Or, rather, make something at all for iOS.

After getting the Mile High Club achievement in Modern Warfare and the Unyielding II achievement in Trials Evolution, I decided to see what other achievements Brad Shoemaker's attempted for in Giant Bomb's "Breaking Brad" feature I could pick up. Spelunky's Speedlunky was immediately out, partially because I keep on getting distracted looking for the gold key in the mines to bring to the tunnel guy all the way at the end of the fucking ice caves, and partially because achievements like that in roguelikes annoy the hell out of me.

So instead I bought Geometry Wars 1 and have been trying for the Survived 1,000,000 achievement. Not as easy as I'd hoped it would be. Not having ever played Geometry Wars proper (or, come to think of it, really any twin stick shooters) doesn't help, but my current brick wall is at the 250,000 mark, in spite of all the techniques I'd heard of before playing. It's just not an easy thing to do in a single life; at least, not within five hours of first playing the game.

Returned to Mega Man 9 last week. Was up to Wily's castle, but never got past some section. Not sure why, since that part was dead-easy, but I still couldn't finish the stage. Perhaps when I eventually buy Mega Man 10 I'll be spurred to finish it. Though I think the fact that I haven't finished it was the reason I didn't get 10 immediately.

Started playing Wetrix again; and it seems in the few months of not playing it, I've forgotten how to play Wetrix to any degree of proficiency. Gonna have to work at that for awhile again.

Completed a few more puzzles in English Country Tune, then got to the hardest puzzle I had faced in the entire game. In 3D form. So I'm not gonna be playing English Country Tune for awhile, methinks.

Gokojou Parodius…is a game…I think… Frankly, I'm not entirely sure what happened for the 30 minutes I played. There were a lot of penguins. When people look at a game like Hell Yeah! and say "Man, I wish Japan would make games like this, like they used to," Parodius is level of crazy they're referencing.

And after far too long, I turned the PS2 on and played an hour of Metal Gear Solid. That's a game I really need to finish. At the same time, I feel like I could put the entire Lord of the Rings extended trilogy on mute with subtitles on beside me while playing and have nothing actually happen in MGS the whole time those movies play.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Not a fan of the Metal Gear Solid games then? I always felt like something was going on, but then I really like those games anyway.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Between the many conquests I've planned for this weekend on BF3 I'm going to demonstrate my schizophrenic ability to once again jump to the complete other end of the spectrum and play Tokyo Jungle once the big fat 4.4GB download finishes. Looking forward to it a little. Wouldn't mind having a quick look at the Street Fighter X Tekken iOS port too this weekend.
Baron Phil

Post by Baron Phil »

I've been playing Tokyo Jungle and it's a great game, I can already tell its going to be a bit of a time sink.