Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Suits »

So, I've been playing through Zelda:TP on Wii U, Mario Golf on N3DS, Hitman on X1 and Trackmania Turbo on X1 also.

I put a good solid 17 hours into The Division also but I just find it a bit more less than meh. It just feels like a shallow RPG Gears of War, that doesn't look, sound or feel as good as GoW. Which is a shame.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

zen_anarchy wrote: I have wanted to pick up Folklore for quite a while but it seems to have increased quite a bit in price (regularly going for around 50 pounds on amazon).
That's only really true if you're looking for a new copy. But there's no reason to go for a new copy of a game like that now. It's so far past release, and it's not like there's anything fragile about it that could be damaged. Used copies are less than £15 on Amazon right now.
zen_anarchy

Post by zen_anarchy »

Scrustle wrote:
zen_anarchy wrote: I have wanted to pick up Folklore for quite a while but it seems to have increased quite a bit in price (regularly going for around 50 pounds on amazon).
That's only really true if you're looking for a new copy. But there's no reason to go for a new copy of a game like that now. It's so far past release, and it's not like there's anything fragile about it that could be damaged. Used copies are less than £15 on Amazon right now.
I am a real stickler for wanting my games to be minty fresh and with everything that was originally in the box to be included.

The few cheap versions on amazon are disc only or with no manual in a acceptable condition (which usually when buying from amazon I prefer like new or new to avoid any disc scratch issues).

The first listing on amazon for a complete edition in good condition is £25 pounds and for a like new version is close to £44.

It's quite annoying as I remember that it was pretty easy to pick up a brand new sealed version for around £15 pounds a couple of years back :(
The_Rooster

Post by The_Rooster »

My opinion on the new Hitman.

Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Thanks for the advice RE: Ni No Kuni ladies and gents.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Tales from the borderlands and I'm loving it. I really enjoyed Borderlands 2 so this is a welcome return to pandora. There have been many laughs with it so far :)
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Everything I never got round to or bounced off because of Blood-Souls. Finally managed to finish Deus Ex: HR which is a top game after the first boss. Splinter Cell: Blacklist another cracker. And now I'm on Max Payne 3. Banned myself from the rest of the internet till next month after Sunlight Blade re-tweeted a gif last night. So until the 11th, I'm catching up.
zen_anarchy

Post by zen_anarchy »

Got side-tracked mid way through playing Nier and joined the EDF(please don't confuse with the football thug fascists EDL :lol: )

Picked up Earth Defence Force 4.1 after the price dropped on psn to 35 pounds, and I am totally in love with this game.

Cathartic nonstop action with superb online co-op and couch co-op.

Basically the videogame of starship troopers and retains the humour of the film along with the cinematic large scale battles(along with some of the troubling politics of Robert A. Heinlein).

Maybe the EDF are fascists :o they are certainly very xenophobic :lol: (srry terrible humour :oops: )

But the game is great silly fun and its nice to have a break between super serious emotional rpg and the challenge that waits in a couple of weeks with dark souls 3.

Be getting back to finish off Nier soon enough.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

You joined Électricité de France?
;)

Seriously though, EDL are just knuckle-dragging rightwing apes. Nothing to do with football whatsoever.
zen_anarchy

Post by zen_anarchy »

ratsoalbion wrote:You joined Électricité de France?
;)

Seriously though, EDL are just knuckle-dragging rightwing apes. Nothing to do with football whatsoever.
Do Électricité de France kill giant insects in mech suits ? if so then yes :D

prolly more exciting than working for MANWEB

srry wasn't trying to generalise football fans although I did call them "football thugs" but I really don't know anything about football or its fans at all

I know coming from Liverpool and all that and not being interested in football :o

The whole post I did stems from a conversation I had with a friend over the weekend about the Earth Defence Force having troubling politics and fears about posting on facebook over my love of the EDF (the game) and it being misconstrued.

just a rambling :oops:
James

Post by James »

Dark Souls III!

I picked this up via the Japanese Xbox Live store and, thanks to the fact that the "International" version is downloaded on Xbox Ones outside of Japan, I've spent the past week with it.

I'll post no spoilers except to reveal how I'm feeling about it, which is
Spoiler: show
very, very good!
See my post on the Dark Souls thread for further info. :geek:
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I play a lot of Hearthstone, although not quite as much in recent months as last year. There's a major update soon that changes the format to something similar to tournament play in Magic the Gathering, where the main ranked format will now only draw from a limited set of cards from the last year or so. I expect to be playing quite a lot more once that kicks in.

Anyway, they added a new hero skin for the class I play most often, Paladin. To get it, you needed to level a new character to level 20 in World of Warcraft...

I played WoW during the beta and into launch. I got one character to level 60 (the cap at that point) around the time the Ahn'Quraj dungeon was added. And then I quit, just before the first expansion (Burning Crusade) launched. I've never been back.

Until now.

10 day free trial, see if I can get a new character to level 20 for the Hearthstone unlock, and then stop. I know that levelling in the early game is a lot faster in WoW now so I thought I might manage that within the 10 days.

It took me 2. It's a waaaay faster game than I remember (level 20 was about 2 months play at launch I think, something like that)

It generated a lot of odd feelings too. The place is both instantly recognisable to me, but also quite different. They made sweeping changes to most of the regions during the Cataclysm expansion, so most of the early game content is different from what I remember, but many of the people and places remain the same.

My original character was an undead Warlock, so I spent a lot of time in Undercity. Going back there now was really eerie. Like walking around a home you used to live in, or walking past your old school after not seeing it for a decade. Was surprised to see the old skill tree stuff is completely gone, the Warlock class now plays so differently to how it did at launch that it doesn't even feel like the same class.

The visuals are exactly as I remember them too, which shows how weak human memory is because I know full well everything is at least twice the poly count now compared to 2001.

But I got to level 21 in the end. I was worried I'd feel compelled to keep playing, but I don't.

It was nice to go back and see some of the sights again. But it isn't the same.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Today I played the new Final Fantasy XV demo. Wasn't particularly exciting to be honest. It showed off some amazing graphics, and allows you to mess around with lighting and weather conditions to show off some more snazzy stuff, but apart from that there's not really anything to it. The combat is really simplified compared to the Duscae demo, so doesn't really show off that well at all. So yeah, kind of a shame really. they could have used this to get more people on board, but they failed to really show what the game has to offer.

I've spend more time today though on Hyper Light Drifter. After so long it's finally come out, and it's pretty cool so far. I hadn't actually been following the game that closely through development, only having a general idea of how the game played, but really digging the art style.

So I was a little surprised to find that the game throws you in at the start without much information. There's almost no text in the game at all, and it gives you very little direction. After a very cool and surreal intro, they drop you in the middle of a town in the centre of the world, and then just let you at it. There's four large areas around the town, one in each compass direction. They only give you the vaguest idea of which direction you need to go and why, but they don't stop you from going to any of the four areas. At first I went in the wrong direction, and found myself up against enemies I couldn't really deal with, so I went back to town and tried to discern which way the game wanted me to go based on the few cues they do give you.

I think I've got myself going in the right way now. Made my way all the way through to the boss of one of the four areas, where I promptly got stomped on. So I'm wondering if I need to go back to town to get some upgrades to stand a chance, or whether it's just supposed to be insanely hard. Overall the game so far has actually been fairly challenging. Your character is fast, but fragile. You have a three-hit combo with your sword, which leaves you vulnerable afterwards, so picking your moment it key, even with the weaker enemies.

The style of the game is great too. Perhaps unsurprisingly, it's somewhat reminiscent of Fez, given the pixel art style and Disasterpeace doing the soundtrack. Very mysterious and eerie. There's a sense that there's a lot more to this world than meets the eye, which you're going to have to do some digging to work out. Feels very moody and dreamlike too, but kind of foreboding as well.
macstat

Post by macstat »

"been playing" is little bit into the future, but im about to play Hyper Light Drifter ;) I don't remember last time when i was so excited about a game, but that first trailer was soooo good.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Been playing Odallus the Dark call a brazilian game by joymasher the same makers of Oniken and much like oniken Odallus is a NES inspired retro game and while Oniken pulled mainly from ninja gaiden,mega man and strider Odallus pulls from Classic Castlevania,the game feels very similar to Rondo of Blood each level has 2 exits each with a boss and many secrets hidden in each level gameplaywise it plays very similarly to classic castlevania only you actually get power ups and is able to keep sub weapons,the pick ups serve as ammo, and there's also a RE4 style store if you're having trouble. Unfotunally unlike Shovel Knight and other recent retro inspired games that have done away with live systems Odallus keeps it so you lose 3 lives and it's back to the start of the level no progress saved...to be fair you can quit the level at any time so if you feel like you're gonna die you can just quit and the game will save itens and secrets you found but you still have to redo the level and in a game like this that's already hard that tends to be a pain,that aside it's a really fun game the levels and enemies are pretty well designed and chellenging in good ways so you can stay mad too long.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

As recommended here previously, I decided to play Until Dawn a chapter or two per week at a time, and have now finished it. I found the first part of the story pretty telegraphed, and the second a bit ridiculous, but haven't played a game so persistently unsettling before. I finished PT and found that to be horror by numbers, but whilst this might be less sophisticated, the non stop tension makes this horror game of the generation for me so far.

Conversely, I've also played through Duck Tales on iOS which I picked up for 79p a while ago, which was great value for something so polished. Clash Royale on there also keeping me busy. I'm unlikely to ever spend money on it - making it even better value - thanks to the very fair matchmaking system which means I can quite happily have competitive matches while my deck slowly improves. If you're enjoying the battles, and are happy to grind away slowly at your level, there's no need to pay for anything.

Also playing the Doom multiplayer beta on PS4. It's very slick, and enjoyable enough, but doubt it will hold my attention for long as there's not really anything outstanding there. Unlike Trackmania, which I downloaded the demo for the other day, and can quite easily see myself getting hooked on and jumping into the full game. Really scratches the same leaderboard itch that Trials did. Recommend a download!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Today I tried out Genji: Dawn of the Samurai. That's the PS2 precursor to the PS3 game with the historically accurate giant enemy crabs. Turns out the game is made by the same studio as Folklore, which is pretty cool.

The game itself isn't like the sequel. It's more like an Onimusha style game where you hack-and-slash through relatively linear levels with fixed camera angles. It looks surprisingly good for a PS2 game. Lots of really nice detail to the environments. It's also the first PS2 game that I've got to run flawlessly on an emulator. Or almost flawlessly. There are no graphical glitches as far as I can tell, it runs well, and it deals with higher resolutions with no problem. There is a problem with the aspect ratio however. Being a fixed camera game that was designed for a 4:3 display, some backgrounds don't extend out to the edge of the screen. The game seems to default to widescreen though, and I can't seem to fix it, even with changing the window size. I think I can get over a couple of screens looking odd for the benefits widescreen brings for most of the time though. It looks really nice.

The gameplay so far is pretty fun, but nothing spectacular. As I mentioned, it's very similar to Onimusha, but is a bit more button-mashy and simpler. But the pace of combat is relatively quick, and you need to avoid leaving your back open. There's also this cool mechanic where you can slow down time, and if you press the attack button when an enemy comes at you in that mode you do a cool stylish one-hit kill. You can string them together and it makes for a really cool scene of you taking down an entire group of enemies in one fluid motion, like it was right out of an anime or something. It's not very hard or complex, but feels really fun to pull off.

It also has a pretty cool atmosphere to it. Again, it's something like Onimusha, except it feels a bit more grounded in reality. Those games always took some liberty when it came to visual design. Setting themselves in historical Japan, but then dressing characters in outfits and giving them weapons that go a bit too far in to fantasy to be entirely convincing. While this game does stray away from accuracy a bit too, it does so to a lesser extent, making it feel a bit more authentic and real. It has some pretty impressive CG cutscenes too tying the story together.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

ratsoalbion wrote:You joined Électricité de France?
;)

Seconded - absolutely nothing to do with football at all, just ultra right-wing fascists, very important to remember this!!! Would hate for people to think someone wandering around with a football shirt on tars them with that particular brush.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

I've been playing a wide range of stuff lately: Bravely Default, Danganronpa 2, A Link Between Worlds again and Miitomo (if it counts) but the biggest game on the list has to be Deception IV, the reviews might do it justice by the end but so far I'm loving it and really can't wait to play more of it, it's a love letter to me and I just can't fault it (yet).
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

mikeleddy83 wrote:I've been playing a wide range of stuff lately: Bravely Default, Danganronpa 2, A Link Between Worlds again and Miitomo (if it counts) but the biggest game on the list has to be Deception IV, the reviews might do it justice by the end but so far I'm loving it and really can't wait to play more of it, it's a love letter to me and I just can't fault it (yet).
Ooh what do you think of Danganronpa 2? You've played the first I presume?