Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Flabyo »

ratsoalbion wrote:Very cool. I think it was known as Shadow Warriors round these parts?
Yup. Ridiculously catchy theme tune in its c64 incarnation as well.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Flabyo wrote:
ratsoalbion wrote:Very cool. I think it was known as Shadow Warriors round these parts?
Yup. Ridiculously catchy theme tune in its c64 incarnation as well.
That is very cool music!

Nostalgia overload!!!
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I think For Honor 2 will probably be really great. Based on the beta, there is some fat they need to shave off. Dueling with other players is great, and modes that focus on that are the strongest. But the A.I. enemies that show up everywhere else are pointless. They barely pose a threat and can be completely ignored. Having lots of systems is fine if they interlock and all feel necessary (See Platinum’s best output) For Honor doesn’t have that yet.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

I've been playing the beta as well and I mostly agree,first off I cant seem to get a stable match with more then 4 people so I barely got to play dominion,I did play a bunch of 1v1 and 2v2 and I have to say the game shines there,there were a few comparisons to dark souls made but I think they are totally off,this is a fighting game. It's all about knowing how to react to your opponent and how to best utilize your tools in a fight,it's all that but without having to memorize combos and all that,the few combos are very simple to understand and pull off so you can focus on the essence of the game,in a way it's a bit like DiveKick but more complex obviously.
On the other hand there's this whole MOBA aspect that involves loot,killing mobs,getting power-ups and I dont really like that but if Im being honest this is what will probably make the game sell.
Craig

Post by Craig »

I've been playing through Majora's Mask 3DS and thought "right, this time I'm going to get all the masks."

After failing the Anju and Kafei quest on the last day, I have since revised my plan.
Joshihatsumitsu

I only recently purchased, as of yesterday to be precise, R-Type Dimensions on PS3. I've already blabbed a bit about R-Type on the Volume 5 possible future episode thread, so I'll just talk about this version.

Only minor gripe: I really wish there was the arcade attract mode included. Not a deal-breaker by any means, just a personal preference.

I played this with my Qanba Q4RAF joystick, and see no reason to ever use a standard controller with these sort of games. If you already own a joystick of any kind, and I'm sure there's a few Street Fighters among you, it the best way to go.

I've noticed how the tactics I used when I was playing this on my Master System in my youth still work in this. The enemy layout is pretty much the same, and while the Master System version struggled technically with slowdown and flickering, this version is as smooth as butter. It made me appreciate that while the version I played when I was younger was the inferior version, it's still remarkable what they did manage to achieve at the time.

This is the first time I've ever played R-Type 2 though, and after beating the first boss on my scone attempt, it occurred to me that it's a little more easier.

The other nice little bonus is the "crazy" view, that is an interesting way to play. It may not be the preferred way, but it doesn't hurt to include it.

If you have a nostalgia for these games then this version is pretty good. And if you don't have a nostalgia for R-Type... hmmm... I don't know. Maybe MAME it to see if it's your cup of tea, and if it is, do the right thing and buy it!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Justice (3DS)

Struggling with this if I'm honest, it's tough to go from something as intense as Steins;Gate back to light-hearted Ace Attorney drama, so I am kinda forcing myself through the first case at the moment hoping it'll click like it always did. I'm sure it will soon.
Joshihatsumitsu

Tetris - Gameboy

Now this was a game I used to own, until it was stolen from me many, many years ago - not really a story worth going into. I decided to buy a Japanese copy, complete with original box and manual (which was around $30 AUD).

It arrived yesterday, did my usual thing that I do when I buy something from eBay - test that it works. What was supposed to be a quick check turned into a 20 minute play - it's still a game that's super easy to pick up, play and get drawn into.

And while the box and manual are all in Japanese, the game is all English, and of course original Gameboy games are region free, so you can save a bit of money by shopping around.

Still such a great game, once again in my possession, with the cartridge in my Gameboy, ready to go whenever. Timeless.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

My copy of Nioh finnaly arrived so I've been digging into it,I gotta say the intro is a bit flat with the openning level being really bland and the story not being introduced the most clear way, other then that though Im having a blast it's every bit as the game the demos showed,also super happy I played all of them and got a bunch of cool itens for it XD. So far I've played through 2 of the 4 levels in the demos so Im still early on but the game is opening up now with a bunch of missions now available,the structure kinda reminds me of Peace Walker minues the base managment. Im rocking the Dual katanas and a Spear and loving both,if I have one criticism is how slow you get skill points so you pretty much have to commit to weapons earlier on so you can get the most benefits outta skills instead of being able to invest in all the trees as you please and so picking weapons can be a bit frustrating,nothing that makes it bad to play but if you get an Axe and dont have any axe skills you will use it fine but you wont be able to use the cool skills like the parries and such.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Guys - you've got to get on New Star Cricket!! It's so good!

I've set myself a 'completion' status of winning the double in the top league (winning Division One and the 20/20 cup) and winning an international tournament in the same year. I've already been selected to go and play in the Asian All-Stars 20/20 cup before returning to my county team.

I am currently playing for Worcestershire - my home team who I used to go and watch all the time with my dad, but the only bad thing about the game is there doesn't seem to be a promotion/relegation system , which I suppose reflects real cricket, so the only way to get to the higher leagues is to transfer to them if they're interested at the end of the season. Excellent game though. It's riddled with micro-transactions, but you absolutely do not need to use them. I've not, and I've put about 10 hours in to it!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I noticed the Alien pinball tables were on sale on Xbox One so picked up Zen Pinball for free (I never knew it was free) then bought the 3 tables for £4.

Alien Isolation table is the best of the 3 for me. The Alien one is good with excellent fan service (you know what is coming when you lose your last ball). Not spent enough time with the AVP one yet. I also like the way it tells you your friends scores if they play the tables. I loved pinball machines as a kid I can't believe I've not looked into these sooner. I had a look on the shop and they have just added a Fallout, Skyrim and Doom set of tables for £8.99.

I forgot to end my PS Now trial subscription so I have that for a month. I get 70MB so it has worked fine for me so far. I tried Catherine as it look intriguing and after doing the first puzzle I had had enough so scrapped that. The thought of doing harder variations of that made me tap out.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

I was playing Skyward Sword to finish it before the podcast came out next weekend. I've only got a few hours left (just got the second part of the song of the hero). Unfortunately when I stepped away from the game for a few minutes, I came back and our new puppy had chewed through the nunchuck cord. So I guess that's where I stop!

I'd really wanted to beat the game this weekend, so now that that's not really on the table any more, I'll probably start playing Super Metroid instead.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

DomsBeard wrote:I noticed the Alien pinball tables were on sale on Xbox One so picked up Zen Pinball for free (I never knew it was free) then bought the 3 tables for £4.

Alien Isolation table is the best of the 3 for me. The Alien one is good with excellent fan service (you know what is coming when you lose your last ball). Not spent enough time with the AVP one yet. I also like the way it tells you your friends scores if they play the tables. I loved pinball machines as a kid I can't believe I've not looked into these sooner. I had a look on the shop and they have just added a Fallout, Skyrim and Doom set of tables for £8.99.
Oh man, hours of fun ahead!

Have you tried the Pinball Arcade at all? It's classic tables recreated, rather than digital ones, and they are great. The demo comes with a few tables, notably Tales of the Arabian Nights, which is excellent.

I'm pretty hopeless at pinball, but playing these really gave me an appreciation of the nuances of the game and of table design. I haven't really given Zen Pinball a go, not too enamoured of the digital ones.
AlexMaskill

Post by AlexMaskill »

My post-Christmas list (aside from keeping up with podcast games) has mostly been me getting to know my new Playstation 4.

I've finally cleared Uncharted 1, I'm making headway into Bloodborne (Just beat the Blood-Starved Beast and loving this game so much even though I was never sold on Dark Souls) and I'm getting started on Destiny in preparation for the episode. I'm also dabbling in The Witcher and hopping between a bunch of 3DS games as usual.
Suits

Post by Suits »

So I'm away on a course for work in Southampton for 4 days, I've checked into a hotel and I'm just going to be milling about of an evening really.

Although I've brought my Wii U with me, monitor and a few games to make the evenings tick by a bit smoother other than just chilling at the bar.

Could well be a good thing though as I have a games I need to catch up on.....

seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Suits wrote:So I'm away on a course for work in Southampton for 4 days, I've checked into a hotel and I'm just going to be milling about of an evening really.

Although I've brought my Wii U with me, monitor and a few games to make the evenings tick by a bit smoother other than just chilling at the bar.

Could well be a good thing though as I have a games I need to catch up on.....

Remember to blink and exhale during the first Lumen Sage battle...
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Enjoy Bayo 2, Suits.

Other than playing for the podcast and games for the occasional couch multiplayer nights (Street Fighter V, Lethal League, Dragon's Crown) I've been dipping my toes in a few titles I recently got in my possession, but hadn't even touched yet: Middle-earth: Shadows of Mordor (PC), Darius Burst: Chronicle Saviours (PC), Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut (PC), Quake 4 (PC), Painkiller: Black Edition (PC), Quake II: Quad Damage (PC), Army of Two (PS3), Demon's Souls (PS3), Max Payne 2 (Xbox), Capcom vs. SNK: Millennium Fight 2000 (Dreamcast), Destruction Derby (PS1), Destruction Derby 2 (PS1)...

Too many games and too little time. I still have a few titles laying around that I need to at least fire up for the first time.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Michiel K wrote:Too many games and too little time.
The story of forever for me. As life problems go though there are worse ones to have.

I had my first decent session of KoFXIV this morning and had a really good time with it.
8-)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Michiel K wrote: Destruction Derby 2 (PS1)...
Man, that Christmas when I first got my PS1, me and my sister used to play this solid.

I think its the 2nd, or 3rd track with the massive jump, with the little lip to the side of it....

...over and over again we used to see who could get the biggest jumps and flips on it.

Might not have been a great game but such a personal fond game that one.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Suits wrote:
Michiel K wrote: Destruction Derby 2 (PS1)...
Man, that Christmas when I first got my PS1, me and my sister used to play this solid.

I think its the 2nd, or 3rd track with the massive jump, with the little lip to the side of it....

...over and over again we used to see who could get the biggest jumps and flips on it.

Might not have been a great game but such a personal fond game that one.
That level was featured on a demo disc I had. Played that one track over and over, never completing the second or third lap to just do that jump over and over, often driving back up the hill taking out cars as I went.

Probably played that single demo more than many games I own nowadays.