Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Michiel K

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Michiel K »

ratsoalbion wrote:
Michiel K wrote:Too many games and too little time.
The story of forever for me. As life problems go though there are worse ones to have.

I had my first decent session of KoFXIV this morning and had a really good time with it.
8-)
Certainly. It's a luxury problem if ever there was one.

Did you play through the arcade mode? What team did you pick?
Suits wrote:Man, that Christmas when I first got my PS1, me and my sister used to play this solid.

I think its the 2nd, or 3rd track with the massive jump, with the little lip to the side of it....

...over and over again we used to see who could get the biggest jumps and flips on it.

Might not have been a great game but such a personal fond game that one.
That's the 2nd track.

I used to play the original on my brother's PS1 way back when and never ever played the sequel. I recently got DD 1 (again) and 2 from a friend, who had to sell off parts of his collection, for very little money and my first impressions of the second game weren't that good. It's a much faster racer, but it loses some of the original's bumper car feel and feels a bit more bog standard, even though it looks better and is more fully featured. Been playing a bit more with my son, though, and I'm warming up to it. The jumps are indeed out of this world. In the first bowl-like arena of the derby, you can get launched right into the stratosphere!
keithmcnally

Post by keithmcnally »

I started replaying Child Of Light, and that game's mechanics are unexpectedly complex. When the game is set to 'expert', the enemies can really kick your ass. The coolest part is how the players and enemies are on a timeline, and can interrupt each other. When you're outnumbered, you can get beat down pretty hard. But once you gain a numbers advantage, you can control the fight and totally destroy people. Are there other rpgs that use that system? 'Cause I think it's really cool.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

keithmcnally wrote:I started replaying Child Of Light, and that game's mechanics are unexpectedly complex. When the game is set to 'expert', the enemies can really kick your ass. The coolest part is how the players and enemies are on a timeline, and can interrupt each other. When you're outnumbered, you can get beat down pretty hard. But once you gain a numbers advantage, you can control the fight and totally destroy people. Are there other rpgs that use that system? 'Cause I think it's really cool.
The Grandia games have a version of that timeline system.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Chopper wrote:
DomsBeard wrote:I noticed the Alien pinball tables were on sale on Xbox One so picked up Zen Pinball for free (I never knew it was free) then bought the 3 tables for £4.

Alien Isolation table is the best of the 3 for me. The Alien one is good with excellent fan service (you know what is coming when you lose your last ball). Not spent enough time with the AVP one yet. I also like the way it tells you your friends scores if they play the tables. I loved pinball machines as a kid I can't believe I've not looked into these sooner. I had a look on the shop and they have just added a Fallout, Skyrim and Doom set of tables for £8.99.
Oh man, hours of fun ahead!

Have you tried the Pinball Arcade at all? It's classic tables recreated, rather than digital ones, and they are great. The demo comes with a few tables, notably Tales of the Arabian Nights, which is excellent.

I'm pretty hopeless at pinball, but playing these really gave me an appreciation of the nuances of the game and of table design. I haven't really given Zen Pinball a go, not too enamoured of the digital ones.
My personal favourite is the Epic Quest table. A full blown RPG with quests and stats all in a pinball table! It's so much fun. A couple of months ago it was all I was playing. The South Park tables are a lot of fun, too, although I think you probably have to be a fab of the show. I could spend a fortune on all the tables in that game, love it.

Pinball Arcade I've never managed to get in to. Although if they ever released the Guns N Roses table I'd grab it in a flash.
Craig

Post by Craig »

My computer can play the Witness! And it looks fab. Will I run into any problems using a controller over keyboard and mouse?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It was simultaneously developed for PS4 so I very much doubt it.
deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc »

Final Fantasy I and Final Fantasy XV. Really enjoying the latter. I know criticism might be hurled at it for its accessibility, but for my schedule at the moment it allows me to get quite a bit done. So far Ignis is turning out to be my favorite character of the four.
Craig

Post by Craig »

So I jumped into the Witness and I really like it. Very chilled and laid back. It has just the right mix of making you feel like an idiot and a genius. I've started getting to puzzles now where you have to look to the surrounding world. Neat.

I'm a little worried I'm going to get stuck not because of a puzzle, but because I didn't find the puzzle among the island, but hopefully it's sign posted we'll.
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

Craig wrote:So I jumped into the Witness and I really like it. Very chilled and laid back. It has just the right mix of making you feel like an idiot and a genius. I've started getting to puzzles now where you have to look to the surrounding world. Neat.

I'm a little worried I'm going to get stuck not because of a puzzle, but because I didn't find the puzzle among the island, but hopefully it's sign posted we'll.
I really need to go back and finish The Witness. Great game but it started to send me a bit doolally!

I'm playing Yakuza 4 at the moment. It took a while to win me over but it has ended up being one of my favourite instalments in the series. I'm also playing Super Mario Bros. 2 on my 3DS. It's a funny one for sure. Mario but not quite Mario. Having listened to the C&R episode that feeling does kind of make sense given the game's history.

Oh, and I'm also replaying Chibi-Robo! Spread the happiness!
Suits

Post by Suits »

I'm playing through SMB2 again on my SNES too as it goes. Been dipping in and out every now and then. The soundtrack is wonderful.

I really like that game. I prefer it SMB as it goes.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

You literally follow glowing cables. You can't really miss the essential puzzles. It's very well thought out.
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

Suits wrote:I'm playing through SMB2 again on my SNES too as it goes. Been dipping in and out every now and then. The soundtrack is wonderful.

I really like that game. I prefer it SMB as it goes.
I definitely prefer the feel of Mario in SMB2. It's more akin to the later 2D Marios.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

The Sonic Mole wrote:I'm playing Yakuza 4 at the moment. It took a while to win me over but it has ended up being one of my favourite instalments in the series.
Wonderful! That game really manages to reinvigorate the franchise while still staying true to its core spirit.
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

KSubzero1000 wrote:
The Sonic Mole wrote:I'm playing Yakuza 4 at the moment. It took a while to win me over but it has ended up being one of my favourite instalments in the series.
Wonderful! That game really manages to reinvigorate the franchise while still staying true to its core spirit.
I finished it tonight. Great game. Probably my favourite since the first one. It was so great when Date showed up!
macstat

Post by macstat »

Lately i've fallen victim to ingenious Blizzard marketing. Just by releasing one WoW mount i spent a lot of cash on their products. Here's the whole story.

Last week blizzard started new promotion that awarded players a brand new mount. And its a really cool looking cat like flaming mount.

So where's the catch, what do i one have to do to get that sweet thing ? Nothing simpler, you just need to play 15 games of Heroes of the Storm with a friend in your party. Yes, PLAY, not WIN, and you can just play with AI. Sounds easy right ? And it is. So i got a couple of my guildies and started playing 2 games a day, then three and you probably can imagine where im going with this. We got that mount fairly quickly but we kept playing cause it turned out that we have fun playing it together. Where's that cash thing you might ask. Well i ofc went to heroes store to see if i can buy a hero with ingame gold and noticed there's a big bundle for just a couple of euro (like 7 i think). SO i bought it instantly :P.

But wait there's more. Blizzard is really smart with exposing HotS players to all of its franchises. For example some time ago they released a bunch of Starcraft related content (both heroes and new maps). One of the map makes you protect beacons which in turn give you bigger Zerg horde that at some point will push enemy lanes. And it just felt great. Whole design of map, music that changed from Terran theem to Zerg theme deepending on wether zerg horde was unleashed etc. I played couple of games on it and them it all came back. That nostalgia of playing starcraft, this music, those sounds of siege tanks, all those feels. So I bought latest SCII expansion "Legacy of Void" because my craving for Starcraft was just too big at that point :D

So yeah, I';ve been playing mostly Heroes of the Storm, and replaying Terran Campaign in Starcraft II (with a plan of playing through whole SCII :) ).
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Blizzard have pretty much nailed the cross-promotion of their games. I mainly play Hearthstone and Overwatch, and they've both had promos where you get stuff by playing other Blizzard games for a bit.

I appear to have fallen into a bit of a gaming rut at the moment. I have piles of story based stuff I haven't started yet (Uncharted 4, Catherine, at least half a dozen PS+ freebies...) but I'm mainly just playing Overwatch and Elite Dangerous at the moment. (I've gotten bored of Fire Emblem Heroes pretty quickly, the tactical depth runs out pretty quick, and some of the characters are just broken at high level so the duelling thing is zero fun)

I've also picked Attack on Titan: Wings of Freedom up again, I 'finished' the initial story mode a while back but didn't mark it on my completion list because there's a fourth chapter to play, but the missions in that one unlock slowly as you grind through the other game modes. It's still really fun to play, but it is quite samey now so I'm not playing it in large bursts. Still loving the traversal in it, it's almost up there with Sunset Overdrive for that.

I also went back to Phoenix Wright : Dual Destinies as well. For some reason I played the first two cases in April 2015 (yay for time stamps on save files) but stopped. Played case 3 on the weekend, and I dunno. Something about this one just isn't working. I'll persevere because I really want to get to the newest one because it has Maya in it again.

I suspect I'm mainly just in a holding pattern waiting for Zelda.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Spent a few hours last night on Hitman. I've still only got the first episode and tutorial, but the amount of content you get with that is insane. All the escalation stuff, the contracts, it's longer than a lot of full games! Finally did the Paris mission 'properly', I put some cyanide in the guys drink and lethal injectioned the lady. It was so satisfying casually strolling out the level with the panic unfolding behind me.
macstat

Post by macstat »

@Flabyo are you playing "vanilla" Elite, or Horizons ? I very much enjoyed ED, especially with Ocullus and im very curious if Horizons is worth buying in?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Horizons. Probably wasn't worth it early on, but they're still continuing to add things that count as part of the Horizons 'season'.

Planetary landings is fun, but probably not as fully featured as I'd like it to be. It's an area they're continuing to work on though. Carrying passengers is a fun twist, those missions tend to have more unexpected things happen than the cargo ones do. The fighter bay thing I haven't yet reached a point where I can use it, you need a biiiig ship.

There's still I think two major content drops due as part of horizons before they move to the next season Dec, whatever that will be.

One thing I will say is that if you've not played in the last 6 months you'll find the mission generator is much improved, and there's a LOT of UI improvements and general polish gone in. Feels a lot less bare bones now, factions and mission givers having a face is a surprisingly big thing for overall feel.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote:
Chopper wrote:
DomsBeard wrote:I noticed the Alien pinball tables were on sale on Xbox One so picked up Zen Pinball for free (I never knew it was free) then bought the 3 tables for £4.

Alien Isolation table is the best of the 3 for me. The Alien one is good with excellent fan service (you know what is coming when you lose your last ball). Not spent enough time with the AVP one yet. I also like the way it tells you your friends scores if they play the tables. I loved pinball machines as a kid I can't believe I've not looked into these sooner. I had a look on the shop and they have just added a Fallout, Skyrim and Doom set of tables for £8.99.
Oh man, hours of fun ahead!

Have you tried the Pinball Arcade at all? It's classic tables recreated, rather than digital ones, and they are great. The demo comes with a few tables, notably Tales of the Arabian Nights, which is excellent.

I'm pretty hopeless at pinball, but playing these really gave me an appreciation of the nuances of the game and of table design. I haven't really given Zen Pinball a go, not too enamoured of the digital ones.
My personal favourite is the Epic Quest table. A full blown RPG with quests and stats all in a pinball table! It's so much fun. A couple of months ago it was all I was playing. The South Park tables are a lot of fun, too, although I think you probably have to be a fab of the show. I could spend a fortune on all the tables in that game, love it.

Pinball Arcade I've never managed to get in to. Although if they ever released the Guns N Roses table I'd grab it in a flash.
I downloaded Pinball Arcade last night, I had no idea it existed to be honest. I was very happy to see the Star Trek TNG table on there, I used to spend many a credit on it in one of the local bars and it is a really good approximation of it. I think I'll just buy that one table, there doesn't seem to be many other tables I particularly remember. I picked up the Doom, Fallout and Skyrim tables too. Fallout seems to be the best of the 3 for me so far. There is a really really annoying sound clip that keeps repeating on Skyrim.

I started Bioshock Infinite Burial At Sea after picking up the collection yesterday but as soon as I saw where it was I decided now is the time to go back and finish Bioshock 1 and 2 finally.

I also tried Double Dragon Neon via PS Now last night. Big fan of the originals and it starts off brilliantly recreating the original and the music is sampling the original music also. After the wonderful 60 seconds of nostalgia the fact it is totally crap kicks in. Awful hit detection, animations and if you choose to continue you are sent back to the start of the level. It is sadly poor.