Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Suits »

So, I'll post this here as opposed to the 'Games Complete' thread, as technically - it's not completely finished.

I've finished my first run=through of RE2 on the GameCube - pretty badly it seems :lol: .

I thought I was doing alright, got a bloody D rating !!

It ended a lot quicker than I remembered and the story seemed a lot less engaging that I recalled also, which is a shame.

I did start up the continuation scenario and began the game again as Claire but after realising that NOTHING carry's over inventory wise and it's 90% the same game again - I'm not going to bother to continue I think.

Next up is RE:Zero, which I might add I've played, so that will be cool. Runs in 60Hz too so will be a touch better on the eye.

macstat

Post by macstat »

Couple of clarifications regarding Path of Exile micro transactions

1. There's one thing sold that affects gameplay a bit. Those are additional stashes. While it is mainly the quality of life, they are nearly mandatory if you wanna start to get more serious about selling things to other players. PoE doesn't have automated auction house like Diablo or classic MMOs, but it enables trading between players without any restrictions. So someone created an external website (poe.trade) where you can trade with other players. Later on, GGG enabled sync between the website and your stashes that are set to public so they are automatically shown on the site.
But other than that everything is cosmetics
2. Regarding loot boxes, in general, they don't have them but there's one "but". With each bigger expansion, they introduce "Mystery boxes" which is nothing more than a loot box with new cosmetics (not sure if its only new content since I never bought one). But it's not as big of a deal as in other games since usually those items are introduced to the normal store.
As you see those aren't major things and I still think that PoE has one of best micro transaction system available. Just wanted to give a heads-up to people who are interested in playing so they won't be surprised.

For last couple of days i started playing Mass Effect Andromeda. In general im fairly pleased with what i got. I like the "building from grounds up" angle that story is based on, i often prefer that over epic. I havent encountered many issues on technical level, and i enjoy the exploration so far (its basically what we had in DA: Inq). Combat is definitelly better than in previous games, just by having dash and jetpack. Its faster, more dynamic.
My main issues so far are with UI (usually it requires a bit of work to go through) and controls (its not very responsive and sometimes unintuitive).
Its really too bad that this game got such a backlash (again expectations killed the game). While i dont think its the best thing in the world, I think it's at least good. Especially since I got it on origin for about 12$ (localized version hence the lower price). Too bad it ended like that (with ME put on ice and studio assimilated by EA).
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Played a lot more Path of Exile now and I think I can safely say: if you’ve ever had even a passing interest in Diablo and games like it, you should play this.

There’s really nothing like it on the XBO for the price. It’s far more fun to play than Neverwinter, for example.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I finished my last competitive matches of the Overwatch Season 5 earlier today and ended up with a very respectable SR of 3696. I think I'll be taking a break from the game for a few weeks, partly because I'll need time to get used to the Mercy rework once the patch hits the live servers, and partly because the pressure and end-of-season toxicity are starting to get to me. I don't know how others can brush it off so easily, but I'm certainly not built to withstand such nonsense over extended periods of time.

Maybe it's because I'm getting soft in my "old" age, or maybe it's because I can still vividly recall the times when things used to be different. I got into online multiplayer 10+ years ago with Halo 2 and 3, and the atmosphere was much more convivial and enjoyable for everyone involved. The few people on mic were simply trying to have a good time and to cooperate with one another, just like me. It's both sad and weird how communities tend to degenerate over time like this. And that phenomenon is not just limited to multiplayer FPSs either.

In any case, I can only hope for a more consistently pleasant experience when I'll get back to it. Because despite all of these issues, the game itself is still so good that I don't see myself abandoning it for good any time soon.
deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc »

Early thoughts on Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. Love the relationship between Chole and Nadine. Beautiful as always. Not loving the openness.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Assassins Creed.... oh, Assassins Creed. You useless heap of junk. Tried to play Freedom Cry tonight. Gave up after four complete crashes in two hours. What I played up till then was pure AssCreed tedium. I really hoped the tighter more linear story would make it enjoyable, but it was just absolute garbage. Follow him. Listen here. Meet her. It's just so.... so.... crap. :(
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Alex79uk wrote: August 28th, 2017, 12:37 am Assassins Creed.... oh, Assassins Creed. You useless heap of junk. Tried to play Freedom Cry tonight. Gave up after four complete crashes in two hours. What I played up till then was pure AssCreed tedium. I really hoped the tighter more linear story would make it enjoyable, but it was just absolute garbage. Follow him. Listen here. Meet her. It's just so.... so.... crap. :(
I agree, and yet I keep playing the damn things, often repeatedly. I never understood how people got hooked on dull TV soaps until I got into Assassin's Creed.

Even though I have a soft spot for the series, my own patience was stretched to breaking by Unity and Syndicate. Based on what I've seen so far, I won't bother with Origins without a deep discount.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've played all of them up to 4. Loved the Ezio Trilogy, didn't like 3, 4 was better but I never finished it and by then I'd had enough of the series. I'm really disappointed by Freedom Cry though. I've been looking forward to it and saved it a couple of weeks till I had time to bash through it in a couple of sitting but it was crash after crash. 3 crashes came up with an error and closed the game and one of them stopped a mission from starting properly. I'd heard the story was good in this one but I can't see me giving it another shot.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

I really didn't think much of it either. I think it was an interesting character choice and a fascinating part of history, but the plot itself is just the same as ever. If liberating slaves was more of a set-piece event or two rather than yet another minute-long activity to grind for upgrades, the whole story might have packed more of a punch.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

After waiting for awhile until I was sure that every bug would be ironed out I started Torment: Tides of Numenera the spiritual successor to Planescape Torment, when I mean spiritual successor I dont just mean the level of parallels between demon's and Dark souls but this game at the start at least feels almost like a remake or soft reboot only in a different but still quite esoteric setting but for example your main character might as well be called the Nameless one.
Im gonna be a little bit disapointed if it's just a disguised remake but even if it is Im enjoying playing it so far, they managed at leas to nail the atmosphere and tone of Planescape and Im loving talking to all the weird NPC's throughout the city and exploring those text trees XD. Gameplaywise however it's a very different and unique game and it took me abit to understand how it all worked, you have points in 3 atributes: Might,Speed and Intelect and you spend these points in actions both in combat and out of combat, for example if you want to cast a spell during combat and want to increase the chance of it to hit you can spend intelect points and if you're on a conversation and want to use lore to convince someone you can also use those intelect points to increase your chance of success, after spending them you can only recover those points by resting or by using itens. It's an interesting system seems to be made to fully accomodate and challenge all playstyles, to say prevent you from simply choosing the speech option and solving problems with no cost, it's still too soon to make a definitve judgement but Iike so far.

On the polar oposite side I played a bit of Shadow warrior 2 and I dont know if I like the whole Looter-shooter aspect of it, especially the gems that clutter your inventory if hundreds of small stat upgrades also the humor is getting old pretty fast.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Well, I've just started Dark Souls again, my first and only Souls experience. I've tried twice before and given up before the Asylum Demon.

Persevered a little further this time, but I've just accidentally killed the first merchant. If I understand things correctly from various forums, I now have to restart the entire game because I'll not have much chance against the next boss without arrows.

Please tell me this isn't true. If it is I'm prooobably going to throw it in the bin.

EDIT: Apparently it just might make it trickier to shoot some dragon in the tail and get a fancy sword, or something. I'll press on.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

kintaris wrote: August 30th, 2017, 11:40 pm If I understand things correctly from various forums, I now have to restart the entire game because I'll not have much chance against the next boss without arrows.
What? No, that's nonsense. You don't need to use arrows against any boss.

Just take your time and play cautiously. You're bound to make mistakes during your first playthrough, but a big part of the Souls formula is the enjoyment in discovering and figuring things out for yourself.

As for the merchant, none of his important items are now unobtainable. And you've learned a valuable lesson about the consequences of one's actions and the precarity of the world. So there's absolutely no need to panic.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I was going to say, arrows are useless against most bosses. You're probably thinking of the Dragon sitting on the bridge in the Undead Burg where you can keep shooting his tail to get a sword. But actually, that sword isn't really worth getting in my opinion. Stick at it. Best game ever. You just need to break that wall and find your groove!

EDIT: And if you do start again it's not the end of the world. You can get back to that merchant in about 10 minutes!
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Alex79uk wrote: August 31st, 2017, 7:53 am Yeah I was going to say, arrows are useless against most bosses. You're probably thinking of the Dragon sitting on the bridge in the Undead Burg where you can keep shooting his tail to get a sword. But actually, that sword isn't really worth getting in my opinion. Stick at it. Best game ever. You just need to break that wall and find your groove!

EDIT: And if you do start again it's not the end of the world. You can get back to that merchant in about 10 minutes!
I so desperately want to love it, it should be my perfect cup of tea. Good to hear I haven't messed things up too much with my rash behaviour. Hopefully I'll find my stride soon.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

There's no shame in looking up a guide. The walkthrough on IGN is great and was essential to my first play through. Listen to the Dark Calls podcast too. A guy guides another guy through the game and it's hilarious.

Guide: http://m.uk.ign.com/wikis/dark-souls/Walkthrough
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Hmm, I'd disagree. Don't look up anything, you only get to play Dark Souls blind once. Just try not to kill any NPCs...well, maybe.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I agree with Stanshall... in theory. However, I think it's important to keep in mind that not everyone's going to be a superfan like us, and I'd prefer seeing someone complete the game while using a guide at certain key points rather than give up in frustration halfway through. Which would not be unheard of, after all.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Can't argue with that and even a hardcore gud boy like myself had to look up 'How the heck does one beat Quelaag?' on Ceefax, etc. But don't look ahead, basically!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Wait... Quelaag? Of all the places to get stuck on, you choose Quelaag? It's just Quelaag, man. Simply dodge the red stuff and hit her with your sword. It's not rocket science, hombre. :P
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah don't sit and read the entire thing, but don't be afraid to use it if you need to. And yeah.....Quelaag!? Haha.