Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Beck

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Beck »

Fortnite Battle Royale -

I uninstalled this game last night. I love the battle royale mode, I like the random weapon drops and not knowing what is around you. Will you find someone in the building your looting? Will they have a weapon? Is there more than one person working together? It's great.

Fortnite is a shit game though. The Battle Royale mode is ruined by the fortnite mechanics, building structures, the poor shooting mechanics. It just doesn't play well. I really wish I had waited for PUBG (I'm a PS4 only guy) rather than play this turd. I'd like to see more games introduce to the Battle Royale mode, it does feel like it would fit in a lot of games.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Beck wrote: November 13th, 2017, 12:33 pm Fortnite Battle Royale -

I uninstalled this game last night. I love the battle royale mode, I like the random weapon drops and not knowing what is around you. Will you find someone in the building your looting? Will they have a weapon? Is there more than one person working together? It's great.

Fortnite is a shit game though. The Battle Royale mode is ruined by the fortnite mechanics, building structures, the poor shooting mechanics. It just doesn't play well. I really wish I had waited for PUBG (I'm a PS4 only guy) rather than play this turd. I'd like to see more games introduce to the Battle Royale mode, it does feel like it would fit in a lot of games.
I have enjoyed my time with it but agree with what you are saying. There has been several occasions where I have had the drop on someone yet due to the randomness of the shooting found myself dead.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah, I tried and tried but couldn't get really in to it either. The building aspect just wasn't something I found myself wanting to engage in, but was essential to success. And I hated the visual style.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Yeah, me too Alex. The building system felt like a cheap way of getting a win, especially with some of the towers that people create in order to camp.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It’s weird isn’t it? They have such similar basic game loops, but they play completely differently.

PUBG is defintely more for the hardcore crowd. Bullet fall offs, sound management, it’s generally a slower paced game (at least at the beginning of a round).

Fortnite is much more pick up and play, more frantic. Seems to generate more outright comedy moments, but is a lot less serious.

There’s room for both, but I think there’s less audience overlap than I suspect Bluehole realised when they complained about the cloning,
Suits

Post by Suits »

When I pick up GameCube games of a weekend, I always give them all a bit of a playtest, to see if they run etc…. I used to just boot them up but in the interest of extending my platform knowledge, I’m going to give each one in my selection at least 30 minutes.

So this is what I've been playing, apart from the usual mainstream things on my Switch.

This Sunday it's these…..

Extreme G Racing
Wipeout clone if you like but on bikes. Not that they feel like bikes. Music is good and appears to be endorsed by Ministry of Sound, as their logo appears on trackside billboards. Good sense of speed with winding climbing circuit tracks. The camera does some neat tricks to magnify the feeling of speed.

You have a boost button, fire button and lean button (left & Right). Exactly Like Wipeout. Each race consists of two laps, they are fairly long circuits at about 3/4 minutes per lap, at certain points in teh lap there are energy pad, ah-la F-Zero where you can recharge your shields and boost. There are teams and riders, each with their own priorities, mission statements and mantra’s.

There are leagues that you enter to earn points to aim for promotion to the next division. Then, there’s the XG Mall (shop) where you can buy upgrade to your sleds, erm I mean bikes :lol: .

Controls get more involved later on in the game were you balance, boost, drafting, leaning and shooting to conquer hill climbs and pass opponents, not hard but nicely engaging.

Wipeout on the GmeCube. Good game, enjoyed it.

Wave Race : Blue Storm
Wave Race on the GameCube really :lol: , not my type of racer, although it did look good, water was nice and the menu’s and font’s looked really good. Some of the best I’ve seen on the system I think.

The whole idea of wave hight and weather affecting the circuits is cool, although when it all came together it meant for a messy race. I found that the FOV was too narrow at times meaning that I just didn’t know what way to go. Couple that with the waves throwing you into the air, it started to feel annoying a little. I suspect that with further playtime you ld get to start to know the circuits alittel better meaning less looking for what way to go and more finding the shortcuts and ramps to climb up teh places.

Not for me this one, although it looked and sounded cool I thought.

Defender
Now, I was looking forward to this one.

Nothing like what I was expecting, gameplay wise. It sort of has the same theme as the original just on a 3D scale, you could certainly imagine that this is what the original game was aiming for but was limited by the hardware of the times.

This is sort of a cross between Starwing and a first person Desert Strike I thought. Controls were OK, just didn't feel that satisfying or fun.

It has some cool extra features like a video of some of the Midway crew (Ed Boon, Eugene Jarvis & Neil Nicastro), discussing the original game form 1981 - which I actually enjoyed more than the game.

Nice to have a look at and mess about with though.

Geist
This is interesting. It' a FPS in the sort of Half Life mould, not that it was anything as crafted as HL, just the sort of way it felt, with the narrative, level sizes and tone. Remind me a little of Black on the Xbox too.

Now, a shortfall of the wonderful GameCube pad I think is it use of dual stick controls, when you have to use teh C-Stick for the aiming - it feels bad. Probably the reason I don’t really like to play Timesplitters 2 on the system. It doesn’t feel precise enough.

Now, the hook point is that you seem to be a ghost. You can posses other humans and items. Some of the stages require an element of puzzle solving, as far as there will be a sequence of stages of possession that you must go through so that you can progress through the level - pretty original I thought.

I liked this.

WarioWorld
Ha, ha, ha.

So, before Wario there was naughty purple jewel that caused mayhem in the forrest. The jewel was caught and trapped in the forest by the locals. Wario stole it on a treasure hunt and in turn, freed it. The jewel, now free, wrecked Wario's castle and dispersed all his loot across the kingdom. Wario is on a bender to get his fortune back and re-capture the night jewel. Brilliant.

It plays like a 2D Mario but on a 3D plain, like an early 3D Land but less expansive forwards and back, just side to side.

You go about collecting gems and coins, each area will have a number of red jewels, say 7. You’ll need 4 of them to unlock the option to fight the boss at the end of that level.

Some of the jewels, unlock WarioWare esc games for your GameBoy Advance. Nice little touch I thought.

Loads of re-playability and controlled tightly.

I like this, I like it quite a lot actually :lol: .

P.N.03
Mental. Some sort of futuristic music shooting game, with awful aim controls and random objectives. Sort of MKD’y in a way. Didn’t like it at all.

Then it started to click a little.

It’s sort of an area/room based battle clearing game. One stage very early on is a small corridor, with three enemies and small holes in the fall to drop into. Then, to what almost feels like the beat of the music, you pop up and down in-between crossfire to take out the robots with your weapon, pretty satisfying if truth be told.

Really original I thought.

Dragon’s Lair 3D.
A sort of Tomb Raider clone, with an awful aesthetic, much like the original Dragon Liar but without the charm. The female character is massively over sexed mind, which brought a slight smile to face every time she appeared on screen.

The puzzles were mildly fun but the solution was often hampered by bad controls. Where my first attempt at them would fail, I tried something else, only to eventually try the obvious original choice again but for it to work this time as the controls lead to a different/better outcome. Meh.

Combat is woeful and the desire to continue was cut short after about 20 minutes :( .

WarioWorld wins this group, hands down :) .
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

So Rocket League. NOW I see what all the fuss is about. Best online game I think I've ever played!
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Haha. I had to pull myself away from Rocket League and go cold turkey after 300 hours on the PC version. Its brilliant, even if I could never properly do aerial moves.

I think Breath of the Wild is finally starting to properly click with me. I mean I liked it before but I really enjoyed the run up to the Zora Domain (I don't think that's a spoiler in a Zelda). Taking on the more powerful camps (though still within my level) and getting nicer weapons is giving me a good sense of progression. And clearing out camps is always fun.

Splatoon 2 is good online multiplayer fun. As I don't play many shooters (1st or 3rd person) I picked a gun with wide range (read: bad aim) and high fire rate and paint away. The single player feels slow and ponderous in comparison but I will finish it eventually, once I can stop picking Turf War when I start the game. :D

Final Fantasy II. I'm struggling to continue it at the moment but I might end up liking it more than the first game. Both games are pretty simple and repetitive combat wise as would be expected from early jrpgs and with less focus on towns, plot and characters than the later games it can eventually grind you down. Especially if you're playing them in quick succession like I am.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've gone back to Titanfall 2 since I got the One X and I have been falling in love all over again. What a stunning game. It's had a patch and so on but it's the basic fluidity of it which excels. Grapple and wall jumping, building up a terrible head of steam and then carving through anyone who isn't leaping and sliding constantly. The guns feel immense as a pilot but as a Titan, they are next level. Amazing sound design helps, too. They just sound so violent! I never come higher than fourth in my team but I always feel I've made a contribution.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I’ve been stuck on the final boss of The Surge all week. This has coincided with a really rough work week, so I’ve been firing up the PS4, groaning ‘Oh fuck!’ when I realise I’m still on the final boss of The Surge, making a few half-hearted attempts, turning off the console and going to bed at 9.30pm.

I may have to hire one of you guys to come round my house and finish him off. I think Indiana is closest.

I did start into Prey last night. Early days yet but enjoying it a bit more than the demo.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Bought Rocket League for the Switch.

I am awful at Rocket League for the Switch.

I’m having fun, but I generally avoid online multiplayer focused games like this because I never feel comfortable with the learning curve. Generally in games I like to go at my own pace, figure things out and muck about. But even with everyone learning at the same time, I find it hard to work into that groove.

I’m going to stick at it though as it seems like it could develop into a really fun game and I’m still having a few heart pounding moments when opportunities of an open goal arise and I’m hurtling towards the ball. Bought it on my brother’s recommendation so looking forward to giving the cross play a try.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been playing Mario 64. I was due a phone upgrade and went for the Sony Xperia XZ1 primarily because I liked the idea of native dual shock 4 compatibility and coupled with a mount I clip to the pad which holds the phone, its suddenly turned my mobile device in to the greatest emulation machine I've ever owned! Everything up to the PS1/N64 era is emulated flawlessly. I've even tried running Mario Sunshine on a Gamecube emulator, and whilst it's not perfect its definitely playable. Not good enough to warrant trying to do the whole game, mind. Think I'm going to have a good crack at Mario 64 though. I've actually only ever played that to completion once, on the NDS.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Played over a hour of Skyrim on psvr last night.

The only slight negative is graphically it looks like the last gen version rather than the hd rerelease.

However it is very immersive. Even though I knew it was coming I absolutely shit myself when Alduin came through the wall in the tower at the start. Same happened again when a wolf attacked me from behind.

Combat feels fine, shooting arrows you have to judge distance and drop you cannot point and shoot.

It does feel pretty special walking around that world in vr. I put 400 hours into it on the 360 and never even played 2 of the dlc packs last time and I can imagine doing it again. I played it for around 1 hour 15 minutes last night which is probably my longest stint in the headset too so a good sign.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

DomsBeard wrote: November 18th, 2017, 9:29 pm Skyrim

Combat feels fine
DOES NOT COMPUTE

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Gaming tabula rasa... how very zen!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Very interesting post and I appreciate the sentiment and mindset. I'm guilty of regularly uninstalling and redownloading games all the time. I have bought far too many games for the Switch, all digital, and they just sit there like little receipts waving at me. I feel like I need to finish them so I can delete but then I become conscious of playing simply to finish something. Reading your post, I felt like I would feel better to simply delete everything except the full price stuff, most of which does encourage you to dip in and out anyway, and perhaps keep one indie title on the go at a time.

Then I thought of trimming my XB and PS4 libraries in the same way, keep it all killer. Do I really need Forza Horizon 2 and 3 installed? I often stare at game icons deciding which to play, like the Netflix paralysis effect. Fewer is better. I look at something like Monster Hunter XX on the Switch, only in Japanese. Even after learning a bit of the language to play it, I know I'm never going to be interested enough, over other games I own. It feels like work.

Hmm, just rambling now but I appreciated the post and I'm going to tidy up my own collection. Won't be as drastic as your approach but the sentiment is similar.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah this is why I've been playing Witcher 3 almost exclusively since July. Around 100 hours and I just can't start a new one till I'm done because I know I'll never go back to it. I always only have one big game on the go at once for that reason. It's so easy to dip in and out and not progress anywhere in a dozen games at once. I don't think normal people appreciate the stress and time management involved in being a dedicated gamer haha.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

I am very impressed. Unfortunately the fact that I review games, and for an achievement hunting site at that, makes this nearly impossible for me on Xbox. Constant interruptions and sprints to the finish line. I have 100 games installed...

I do abide by this on all other platforms though, to try and keep some semblance of mental peace and concentration. Particularly mobile games - I find that my life disappears before my eyes if I have several sitting on my phone, accessible whenever. Better to cane and rinse one and move on when you're done.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Really enjoyed that post, Thirdman! It definitely starts off with a "crazy screed deliriously written at 4am" bent to it, but it makes perfect sense in a way ;)

I couldn't imagine having all those games installed and trying to jump over and back. I generally have a few sports games installed and then my 'main' game which I usually try to play to completion. I might have the next game on my list installed also (but not played) just to provide an incentive for finishing the current one. I really like to savour a single game though.

At the moment I have an exception - Darkest Dungeon - installed, because it is too repetitive to play through without a palate cleanser, but I hope to come back to it someday as it is also really good. This probably fills the 'Isaac niche' for me, ie the 20-minute-window game.

That list of games you were ostensibly playing was mental.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

DomsBeard wrote: November 18th, 2017, 9:29 pm Played over a hour of Skyrim on psvr last night.
Are you playing with the Moves or DS4? PS4 or Pro?

Spending 40 hours in VR seems like too much for me at the moment - RE7 was 11 hours for me, which was great, but took several weeks. I am tempted though.