Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Flabyo »

There's a fan translation patch. A lot of hassle to wrangle it all together onto a PSP, but it's possible.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Yeah, I bought a secondhand copy from Japan for a remarkable £7 converted it and then ran it through the psp hacked os access on the vita. Well worth it for the second analogue stick as valkyria 2 was a bit of a slog on the psp with its limited controls. I actually have an out of date fan translation but missing out on a few side quests is probably a bonus as it's well over 100 hours and I'm currently just 40 hours in.

Gripping story for the nameless though and their story which runs parallel to the first game. The fan translation does it proud so even the easier route of emulation gets a thumbs up from me. You do need the slightly expanded goty-like E2 version of the game to play it though.

If you felt at home with valkyria 2 I'd heavily recommend it, it's a strong candidate for psp swan song.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I'm starting the 2013 reboot Tomb Raider tonight. I've only played the Legend trilogy of the series, but it's still going to be weird seeing a new Lara. I'm hoping I like the game, especially since I only have PC and can't play the Uncharted series.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

duskvstweak wrote: March 7th, 2018, 5:48 pm I'm hoping I like the game, especially since I only have PC and can't play the Uncharted series.
Just in case you don't know, there are actually quite a few small but meaningful design differences between Uncharted and the Tomb Raider reboot. It's not uncommon at all for people to strongly prefer one over the other, despite both belonging to the same genre.

I'd recommend listening to the Tomb Raider issue of the podcast after finishing it (if you haven't already). The panel members have a very interesting conversation about that very subject.

PS: Anyway, have fun! :P
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 7th, 2018, 5:59 pm
I'd recommend listening to the Tomb Raider issue of the podcast after finishing it (if you haven't already). The panel members have a very interesting conversation about that very subject.

PS: Anyway, have fun! :P
Actually, with this and Ori and Blind Forest, I'm back to having episodes to games that I've played!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I seem to be playing a mix of Fire Emblem Heroes, Overwatch and Dynasty Warriors 9 at the moment.

I have a whole bunch of single player stuff I want to get to soon, like Hellblade for example, but I can’t seem to find the enthusiasm to step outside my comfort games at the moment.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Currently powering through The Last Guardian. I'm very touched.

I'll try and write down my thoughts in the podcast thread as soon as possible after finishing it while the experience is still fresh in my mind.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

:P

I usually 'power through' a game when I've got fed up of it and just want to reach the end.

I haven't been posting much recently as I've been utterly consumed by Out of the Park Baseball 18. I may have gone too deep. Fans of Football Manager will know what I mean.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: March 8th, 2018, 7:53 am I usually 'power through' a game when I've got fed up of it and just want to reach the end.
Well, I wouldn't actually disagree with that assessment. The game has a lot to be fed up about. Although I would add a "enamored by the majestic beauty of the piece and motivated to see it through" somewhere in the middle.

Chopper wrote: March 8th, 2018, 7:53 am I haven't been posting much recently as I've been utterly consumed by Out of the Park Baseball 18.
Nooo, come back! I need my stick-pushing, empty space-traversing, VR-shilling foil! :lol:
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 8th, 2018, 9:38 am Nooo, come back! I need my stick-pushing, empty space-traversing, VR-shilling foil! :lol:
:D

It's true, we are gaming opposites

VR vs Flat Gaming
Sports games vs twin stick shooters
Ninja Theory vs Sega
The Walking Dead vs Resident Evil 4

;)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I just had... a glimpse into my future. Standing in line with my trusted cane in hand inside a neon-lit shop situated on the 56th floor of an urban building, surrounded by newfangled apparatus dangling from the ceiling and touchscreen-clad strangers quickly exchanging a mix of guttural sounds and tech jargon that I can only describe as a foreign tongue.

Meanwhile, the acne-ridden teenage clerk behind the counter swings away the headset obscuring his vision in a swift, almost Sam Fisher-esque head motion and contemptuously responds:

"Sorry, old-timer. We don't have a Flat Gaming section anymore. Try the public library."
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 8th, 2018, 10:31 am I just had... a glimpse into my future. Standing in line with my trusted cane in hand inside a neon-lit shop situated on the 56th floor of an urban building, surrounded by newfangled apparatus dangling from the ceiling and touchscreen-clad strangers quickly exchanging a mix of guttural sounds and tech jargon that I can only describe as a foreign tongue.

Meanwhile, the acne-ridden teenage clerk behind the counter swings away the headset obscuring his vision in a swift, almost Sam Fisher-esque head motion and contemptuously responds:

"Sorry, old-timer. We don't have a Flat Gaming section anymore. Try the public library."
Don't worry old-timer - I'll probably be the librarian of that future public library.

Of course, I won't notice you because I'll be in my overalls, covered in grease and wearing protective eye-wear as I go about repairing these old flat-screens.

My robot assistant will be off tracking down one of those damn power-converters! Sometimes I wish I didn't move to Mars... everything good was back on Earth... :cry:
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Get with the program, Grandad(s) :P

According to the fine folk* over at r/PSVR, that future is already here.

*complete zealots
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: March 9th, 2018, 11:27 am According to the fine folk* over at r/PSVR, that future is already here.

No need to dismiss tradition to make room for innovation, although I'll admit to sometimes being guilty of the opposite! :P

On a more serious (and sappy) note, I really like how people like us with completely different tastes and priorities can find a way to have an open-minded and mutually respectful discourse on here, as opposed to the various other (anti-)social media platforms out there.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Well said, and long may that continue.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I think I'm going to regretfully give up on my subsequent playthroughs of NieR: Automata and just watch the various other endings on YouTube. The music is great, the story has some very nice elements to it and there is undeniably a great game in there somewhere, but the combat, dialogue and open world are just slogs to deal with at this point. Disappointing.

I'll give it some more thought over the next few days in case I change my mind. I don't usually like leaving things unfinished.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I’ve been playing the demo for Gravel on the PS4. It’s an off-road racer, and I loved the way it handled - reminded me of V-Rally - but the in-car view is bizarre, with big arrows flashing all over the place where a dashboard should be to indicate where cars behind you are, which is very distracting. Crashes very odd too, where you can hit the edge of a barrier at full speed and there’s no sense of impact; the car just stops dead. And that’s when you actually crash - I went straight through a tree, and a car piling into the back of me just drove straight though the car. Shame because there’s a really fun, good looking game hidden in there somewhere.

Other than that, Bloodborne really is fantastic!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been playing Yakuza Kiwami, just finished chapter 6. The story is nowhere near as interesting as in Zero. Most of it so far appears to have very little to do with the main plot set up at the beginning. There is so much sidetracking, and I don't even mean with side quests, this is in the main quest line! I'm enjoying it, but at this point it feels like I'm only playing it to get to the second game.

Also tried a bit of Mighty No. 9. God it's really boring!
nickturner13

Post by nickturner13 »

Playing a lot of Assassins Creed Black Flag currently after getting it for free a few months back on Uplay on the PC.

Played an earlier AC game and didn't get really get into it so didn't expect much from this, but after a friend recommended I give it a shot, I've been hooked for the past couple of weeks.

It's actually really good and I'm massively loving it, it kind of reminds me of a cross of the Batman Arkham games with Far Cry 3 when on land.... plus there's lots of great pirating adventures to be had at sea once you get your own ship.

Way better than I thought it was going to be and totally loving it so far, probably about 15 hours in.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’ve been playing Celeste on the Switch, solely in handheld mode, on and off of late.

But I hit it hard today after a days decorating - man, that’s one very solid platform game. So good.