Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I love it so far, especially on the big screen!

Yeah, it is kind of a waste of a second screen! It seems odd to to play to the strength of the hardware... love the Wii U!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Argh! I had totally forgotten about BotW. Need to sit down and give it a fair shake one of these days. I got the WiiU version, too!
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

KSubzero1000 wrote: November 19th, 2018, 10:09 pm Argh! I had totally forgotten about BotW. Need to sit down and give it a fair shake one of these days. I got the WiiU version, too!
So many games! So little time... I relate. ;)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ThirdMan wrote: November 19th, 2018, 11:20 pm Quick question. I'm having disc trouble with Mass Effect 2. If I buy the digital version and start it up, will I be able to use my existing save file?
It shouldn't be a problem, but better wait until someone else confirms it in case I'm wrong.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ThirdMan wrote: November 18th, 2018, 10:48 pm A disappointing night's work. I was about 12 hours into Mass Effect 2 when I came across the first prompt asking me to switch discs. I made the change, the screen changed to reflect the new disc, then the entire thing stalled. I had to manually reset the console. I tried it two more times with the same result.

I could play a different mission that doesn't require a disc change, in the hope that later on down the line I won't encounter the same problem. But that's just wishful thinking. Really annoyed! Both discs are in excellent condition so I don't know what's gone wrong.
Btw, have you tried installing or uninstalling the disc(s) in question? The disc install feature was added in the middle of the 360 life cycle and can cause compatibility issues with certain games. Try doing the opposite of what you're currently doing and see if it changes anything. I would maybe clear your HDD cache too, just in case.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

ThirdMan wrote: November 19th, 2018, 11:13 pm It was the first RPG I ever purchased. I didn't know what I was buying and had no interest in fantasy. I played about 10 or 15 hours on the easiest difficulty setting, utterly clueless about class types etc. I didn't 'get' it and traded it back in for something more my style: Virtua Tennis 3 :oops:
Same here. I laboured under the impression that I had to close all the Oblivion Gates for most of the game.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ThirdMan wrote: November 19th, 2018, 11:20 pm Quick question. I'm having disc trouble with Mass Effect 2. If I buy the digital version and start it up, will I be able to use my existing save file?
Just do a little research online, as not all disc version saves may be compatible with all digital versions of the game. For example, a save from the disc version of The Witcher 3 standard edition can not be used to continue play from the GOTY digital version, which is a pain. Mass Effect may suffer similarly.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I always thought it was a shame the WiiU version of BotW doesn’t use the second screen to let you manage the inventory or show the map. I get the impression this was probably going to be the way it worked, but when it became dual development with the switch version they almost certainly dropped WiiU specific features to make sure they didn’t end up with anything they couldn’t do on switch (which might well have not had its hardware locked down yet)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ThirdMan wrote: November 20th, 2018, 9:47 am In any event it's working now and uninstalling disc 2 was the solution.
Excellent!

ThirdMan wrote: November 20th, 2018, 9:47 am I'm curious as to what the relationship is between the two discs?
Concubinage.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

ThirdMan wrote: November 20th, 2018, 9:50 am Did you finish it in the end?

Leaving the now dated gameplay aside, do you feel there are many quests worth playing it for? Did you enjoy the Dark Brotherhood quests? That part of the Elder Scrolls lore really interests me.
Yes, I finished it. I'd come back to games as an adult (having stopped at age 14 or so) and an open world RPG was my idea of the perfect game at that point.

I can't remember much outside of the main quest, but yes, the Dark Brotherhood quests stood out in the game for their originality (and playfulness, I remember one in particular very well) compared to the other quests. How they hold up in 2018, I really don't know. The Oblivion Dark Brotherhood quests are probably presented a little more innocently or morally better than the ones in Skyrim, which (I think) were further towards genuinely nefarious. I read about a couple of them and decided not to do that questline.

The main quest wasn't too bad either. Did you get the DLC as well? Both the mad god one and the Knights of the Nine were quite good.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It predates mandatory installs, so there’s likely a decent amount of duplicated data on the two discs.

(Final Fantasy 7 has mostly the same game data on all four discs, for example, it’s just each disc has different FMV on it)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Three discs (pedant here).
:twisted:
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Was it? Hmm. The ones after it on ps1 were 4 discs though right?
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

ThirdMan wrote: November 20th, 2018, 1:03 pm There's something very poignant about how we're losing these old games to fidelity and technology. Mods and remasters can keep them alive, but the originals are slipping away.
*Looks around at C&R community*

Can I interest you in a game of Sonic played on my Bongo Drum Controller?

I would give Oblivion a chance. I bet it is exactly the same as Skyrim in its mechanics etc.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I really want Diablo 3 on Switch...
Suits

Post by Suits »

Oblivion is/was incredible.

It opened my eyes as to what was possible on consoles regards RPG’s.

It was also the first game that I really saw huge benefit in jumping to HD.

I still remember a lot of the excellent side quests from that game (Ring of encumbered & paint Trolls) as well as jumping around like a madman and cast spells 24/7.

Skyrim was the obvious progression of that game, that’s not to say it’s not worth going back too. It had a better, more individual character build system although those damn Oblivion gates personally really got boring very fast.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Flabyo wrote: November 20th, 2018, 11:42 am Was it? Hmm. The ones after it on ps1 were 4 discs though right?
Yeah. 8 and 9 both had four discs.

Re: Oblivion, that was probably one of the last big games I bought for PC back when it was my main games machine. I spent hours on that game and loved it. In many ways I preferred it to Skyrim. One of my favorite quests transported you to this watercolour painted world, that in my head now, just looked amazing.
ThirdMan wrote: November 20th, 2018, 1:26 pm I really enjoyed the Skyrim remaster last year. The combat and minute to minute gameplay was poor, but it had something that kept pulling me back. Hopefully Oblivion will be the same.
It's because it does the thing that I am looking for most when I play a game. It takes you somewhere else. It transports you to another world, an almost real world where you can go anywhere and do anything. The Bethesda games are perfect for this, just these incredible huge worlds to lose yourself in, those games for me almost become a real place I can go to whenever I want to.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Were it possible, I might give up everything to move to Whiterun.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Holy shit. I just remembered that I actually played Oblivion, I'd kind of blanked it out but the mention of the painted trolls quest brought it back! It was one very very cold winter where I lived in China, like minus ten for two months, and I hardly left the apartment except to meet friends for dinner. No work because of Chinese New Year and end of university term. I had just got a decent desktop and started trying PC gaming for the first (and pretty much last) time. I basically played this for about five or six days straight, morning noon and night. I remember going out for dinner and by the time I got home, I'd thoroughly bored my mates with my Oblivion chat and they'd kindly let me know that I should probably not waste the entire holiday on it and I sounded somewhat obsessed. Pfffft, I thought, walking through the door to see the elastic band contraption I'd set up to hold down the run button and jog on the spot inside my house to level up endurance or something. I uninstalled there and then and never went back. Then I put five hundred hours and counting into Skyrim instead. Can't wait til I get the VR legs and I can literally live in Whiterun.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Stanshall wrote: November 20th, 2018, 7:23 pm ......I'd kind of blanked it out but the mention of the painted trolls quest brought it back! I
That quest for me was class, it all started as a missing persons quest.

There's also an Eyedea & Abilities tune that is about a man painting himself, painting himself.

Which always makes me think of to again.

Great side quest. One of the best.