Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Alex79uk

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Alex79uk » February 2nd, 2019, 5:31 pm

I'm definitely interested in KH3, but I'm still only halfway through the first game. Last time I played it a while back I was lost in some caves in Aladdin world. That's definitely on my list of things I want to finish this year after RDR2 and Spiderman.

I'm determined not to buy any games this year as I just own too many I really want to play and haven't had time. An exception may be made for Sekiro when it drops in price a bit, but other than that.

Suits

Post by Suits » February 2nd, 2019, 5:36 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 5:31 pm
I'm determined not to buy any games this year.
That would be an incredible accomplishment.

Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo » February 2nd, 2019, 6:34 pm

Still at the very beginning really so was not aware of any gallery but I like that the story stuff like that is actually kept separate from the game. Minimalism in narrative really is one of the series' strength. I always take my time with Metroid titles but am looking forward to seeing what kind of stuff they have for the gallery!

Also,another Metroid title on Switch? If I had more money and even more importantly, time I would definitely have gotten myself a Switch by now. So much stuff I want to get for that console!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » February 3rd, 2019, 8:33 am

Oh my god the ball puzzle things in Final Fantasy X are some of the worst, flow breaking pieces of junk I've ever played. Just utterly pointless, irritating, boring, there is literally nothing good about them. Ugh.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » February 3rd, 2019, 9:05 am

@MajorGamer

Do you know if there's a shortcut from Act II of Heroes of Hammerwatch, to Act III at all? Beat the Act II boss and died but can't find a shortcut (just the Act I -> Act II one). Thanks!

EDIT: Oops, found it, never mind!

Craig

Post by Craig » February 3rd, 2019, 11:13 am

Wargroove is wonderful. Scratches that Advance War itch that’s been itching a long time now. Pixelwork is fab too.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » February 3rd, 2019, 11:43 am

I think I'm heading towards the final stretch of RDR 2 now. I've just...
Spoiler: show
Returned to America after a couple of hours in the jungle. Just climbed out the boat in the Van Horn (is it?) village and saved.
I think the section I've just played it what I've heard people refer to as the games lowest point, perhaps, but I quite enjoyed it. It certainly looked and sounded incredible.

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » February 3rd, 2019, 12:07 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 8:33 am
Oh my god the ball puzzle things in Final Fantasy X are some of the worst, flow breaking pieces of junk I've ever played. Just utterly pointless, irritating, boring, there is literally nothing good about them. Ugh.
Ahh yes. Cloyster of Trials.

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » February 3rd, 2019, 12:09 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 5:31 pm
I'm definitely interested in KH3, but I'm still only halfway through the first game. Last time I played it a while back I was lost in some caves in Aladdin world. That's definitely on my list of things I want to finish this year after RDR2 and Spiderman.

I'm determined not to buy any games this year as I just own too many I really want to play and haven't had time. An exception may be made for Sekiro when it drops in price a bit, but other than that.
Kingdom Hearts is a weird series. I recommend playing KH1 and DDD if nothing else. KH2 has a lot of plot, but it's just not a very good game. BBS has a lot of prequel baggage nonsense, but I know less having played it than just watching summaries. The rest are literally pointless for the most part.

Suits

Post by Suits » February 3rd, 2019, 12:30 pm

Wargroove, Wargroove and a little bit more of Wargroove this weekend.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » February 4th, 2019, 10:32 am

Kholat

Kholat is a game I have had my eye on for a long time. Based around a real event https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

Which is a quite grim and sinister one full of conspiracy theories.

It isn't easy to get into as you are given a map and a compass and no indication of where you should be going so you are largely left to your own devices. You also can get one hit killed by a mysterious creature who can appear at any time by the looks of it (but I have figured out the cues to it appearing now). When you die you go back to the last point you triggered which is either an important location or notes left by previous travellers. The sound design is excellent and it has a good soundtrack.

For £3 I would recommend if you are at all curious. Also it is narrated by Sean Bean!

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » February 4th, 2019, 12:03 pm

Its currently free on Steam

shadowless_kick

Post by shadowless_kick » February 4th, 2019, 1:28 pm

even though I've never been into horror and have always been a bit of a wuss with such things, I gave the RE2 demo a whirl and I think I actually wanna get it...

Suits wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 12:30 pm
Wargroove, Wargroove and a little bit more of Wargroove this weekend.
literally just heard of this game this week. I think I shall make it mine.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » February 4th, 2019, 2:40 pm

The review I read said it was extremely cheap in the way it dropped in troops to up the difficulty, just FYI.

Suits

Post by Suits » February 4th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Chopper wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 2:40 pm
The review I read said it was extremely cheap in the way it dropped in troops to up the difficulty, just FYI.
Oh, I’ve not come up against anything that I’d throw that criticism at it yet - I’m at Act 3 level 1.

The whole troops are deployed via barracks, which are powered by gold, gold is earned by capturing/holding towns that generate gold per turn.

I hit a difficulty spike which I overcome by effectively storming the enemies barracks, which rendered them unable to deploy more troops completely.

I suppose it could mean late game, which I’ve not experienced yet.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » February 4th, 2019, 6:41 pm

That review might be a bit of an outlier then; I’ve only glanced at a couple of others but they seem more positive.

I’m playing Football Manager Touch on the iPad; it’s pretty bewildering. As Colchester, I signed a Swansea reserve on loan, but he hasn’t turned up in my squad yet. Maybe he’s on the train?

Chopper

Post by Chopper » February 4th, 2019, 6:42 pm

Where is Colchester anyway? Is it on a main line track? :x

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » February 4th, 2019, 6:58 pm

Chopper wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 2:40 pm
Not experienced that myself but its no walk in the park.

It does spawn some enemies around you on some maps but it hasnt felt cheap to me

chase210

Post by chase210 » February 4th, 2019, 9:33 pm

I've been playing Kingdom Hearts 3! Which is good, really enjoying it, looks great to an extent too. But I'm a little curious as to what here took them 13 years to release?

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » February 4th, 2019, 10:26 pm

Licensing?
;)

No, I don't know, but I suppose if you look at the series timeline it hasn't like there's been 13-14 years of just nothing:

2002 Kingdom Hearts
2004 Chain of Memories
2005 Kingdom Hearts II
2007 Re:Chain of Memories
2008 Coded
2009 358/2 Days
2010 Birth by Sleep Re:coded
2012 Dream Drop Distance
2013 1.5 Remix
2014 2.5 Remix
2015 Unchained χ
2017 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue