Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Flabyo »

The other thing Remember Me does that I think many might’ve missed is how it goes from the complex old time Paris, lots of colours and textures, lots of noise; and as the game goes on the places you travel through become more architecturally simple and monochrome, until by the end of the game the environment you’re in is pretty much just red and white flat colour (like a more minimal Mirrors Edge).
Suits

Post by Suits »

I will not rise to these Edgelord antics !!

🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

...Well, I'm confused.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

There’s a world of difference between disagreeing with people that like a game, and straight up trolling and abuse.

And not enough people here seem to know where that line is.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The phrase “echo chamber” gets used sporadically to describe this forum, but that has never been the case.

Traditionally however, we have encouraged and been home to people who can conduct themselves respectfully in a conversation, even where there are differences of opinion.

Jay and I have no interest in maintaining the forum for the purposes of housing pointless tit-for-tat, opinions-expressed-as-facts arguments.

Think of the way we conduct discourse on the podcast if you really need guidance.

And if you find the idea of that too boring then by all means, please find another one of the many outlets that thrives on that sort of stuff!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

We pride ourselves on respecting other peoples opinions. Rather than just one MASSIVE opinion on a game, we have quite a nuanced opinion on many facets of a game. We can feel positive about a game and pick out flaws and have the decency to not fly off the handle and go "x is the worst game ever"

As for the echo chamber thing, i just think that some people just want a ruck as if it was eastenders but ultimately we'd prefer if the people who listen to our podcasts took a similar approach to their forum posts and while that might not be as "entertaining" as calling your favourite game a sack of shit, i find it a lot more satisfying to respect your own and other peoples opinion equally.

It actually had bled into my everyday life and having a more positive yet critical approach to conversations has made me a better person.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Seconded, and feel free to stick that in the "echo chamber" pipe and smoke it!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

As someone who has seen the dangers of very real echochambers in politics - which usually come as a consequence of elitism, intimidation and "call out" culture - and who has seen them destroy very good people... This place is not an echochamber. And how bloody dare you throw the term around just because you're pissed off someone doesn't agree with you. Like. That kind of attitude is exactly how echochambers form, "Everyone who disagrees with me is wrong and a threat."

I will admit that this place can be prone to catty little swipes and snarky remarks during disagreements, but to throw a tantrum and claim it's an echochamber despite having no bloody clue what that means? You can kindly take off, friendo.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I think Clippa's humour may have got the better of him here, as someone who often likes to fly close to the sun with his little soapbox rants.

Because his chosen topic was something that we very much try to avoid on this forum and quite literally mentioned something that has perhaps been thrown at CandR in the past - it's landed right on the button.

I'm sure he's smart enough when to know a joke has landed or flopped into row Z.

I've never smoked 'Echo Chamber' Jay, but it sounds banging.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I think Clippa’s tongue was in their cheek to an extent to be fair.

It’s a nice place to be (this forum) and think it’s less a case of echoing each other and more a modicum of mutual respect and measured opinion.

Personally if someone sings the praises of Game X I’m less likely to directly criticise their viewpoint out of respect. This is a character trait/flaw on my part as I hate confrontation in general and would prefer everyone to be happy. I’m more likely to echo someone else’s opinion than criticise it.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Flabyo wrote: April 8th, 2019, 3:17 pm There’s a world of difference between disagreeing with people that like a game, and straight up trolling and abuse.

And not enough people here seem to know where that line is.
Your post doesn't seem to be solely directed at Clippa, so I thought I'd chime in and explain my perspective on this.

I know I joke around a lot. I want people to know that it's never mean-spirited and that it's just my natural way of interacting with people I like. Adults have a tendency of taking themselves a bit too seriously for my liking and I think that the spontaneous banter that comes with being around trusted friends and acquaintances helps with keeping a healthy perspective on things. That's not confrontation in my eyes. Quite the opposite, in fact.

There are a select few posters here (Michiel, Nick, Simon, Stan, Joshi and Choppi, for example) who I feel comfortable enough interacting with in basically the same way I do in real life. And that's because I get the sense that they're in on the joke and that nothing between us is even remotely malicious. Others appear to have different personal boundaries and I try my best to respect that as well.

Anyway, if anybody feels like I'm crossing a line or takes issue with my posting style then please don't hesitate to say so.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Suits wrote: April 8th, 2019, 6:45 pm I've never smoked 'Echo Chamber' Jay, but it sounds banging.
It is! A much better time than toking that wretched Filter Bubble :)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Group hugs cost 5 pounds per hug
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Each, or like everyone puts in 50p?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Sign up to the Patreon for just $1 per month and get an exclusive virtual hug from me and Jay.
😉
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

But back to what I've been playing...

I decided I wanted to replay the 'set in the past' Metal Gear Solid games with a view to actually getting round to MGSV this time, so restarted #3 last night. I'd been really excited to play it again all day, and then fell asleep during the opening cut scene.

:lol:

Second try tonight...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: April 8th, 2019, 9:00 pm Sign up to the Patreon for just $1 per month and get an exclusive virtual hug from me and Jay.
😉
It really is like an hour long hug every month. I hate Monday mornings, but it was made slightly more bareable this morning with you both in my ear all the way to work.

:D
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

🥰
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Finally started on Resident Evil 2 - purchased as a birthday present for my darling wife.
The original has a special place in our hearts - it's the game that convinced me to buy an original Playstation and got me back into gaming after a few years haitus distracted by alcohol and women; and the game that got her interested in gaming. So it was with a little trepidation that we loaded it up.

You know - it works. The whole game has been overhauled for the better, very definitely a love letter to the original but building in enough new to make it a new game (and better, I think than the very fine resident evil remake did some years ago). Wife is struggling a little as she is firmly in the tank control camp but this is the game that is finally making her join the current 'standard' control config (I moved over to analog stick movement with the also-ran Extermination in PS2 era) after embracing the alternative schemes in the various co-op Res Evil titles of recent years. And it's interesting to go back to asynchronous playing where one has the controls and one is just the 'spotter'. So far she's running in amateur mode and taking her time (still firmly in the police station) whilst I'll play on my own later in standard mode to catch up to her current location. Not speed-running this time but RE2 was also the game I could run in a fairly reasonable time (the day I spent having to re-unlock 4th Survivor after messing up my save files ...) so that's something floating in the back of my head

I'm also making slow and steady progress in The Division 2. I was (and am) a big fan of the first one and this one builds nicely upon what Massive had achieved in that after a couple of years work. Div2 is not perfect - the time to kill feels off (possibly weighed more towards characters in end-game rather than my mid level position) and the enemy groups are a little too present (much the same reason?) which i can forgive. The main thing irking me is that matchmaking doesn't seem to work. Currently it feels like it's based around creating groups at your nearest spawn point rather than your current mission or checkpoint. The first game just worked here and always did - if I want to matchmake into a mission with randoms, I just select that at the beginning and either joined a mission or had people join me. On Division 2, I do seem to travel to the nearest safe-house then have to fast travel back on my group - or else it just doesn't work. and the calling for backup thing is a nice concept that is just not being used. I'm not going to react to a call to help when I'm on a mission so why waste the resources sending it to me if I'm not in free-roam. I hope that there is some way to 'merge' instances if players on the same mission/sub mission/activity call for help at the same time, but we are beginning to border on Resident Evil 6 multi-player here ... :roll: But I'm coming back to it and wanting to play more so something is definitely working here.

I'm also back one day a week into Destiny 2. Still feeling pretty burned out on it (since before Christmas) but the new season brought an Invitational mission that Xur provides at the weekend. basically complete a particular strike (so far from vanilla campaign so anyone who has completed that can get access to it) and collect a smallest number of collectibles from three of the enemy factions. This gets you access to a space for a bit of lore and also provides a powerful gear drop. Combine it with a few bounties for strikes/public events and you can make a small but palpable progression in an hour or two - which feels much more manageable than the lengthy grinds that pervade the game elsewhere.
My Xbox fire team is currently spread across various games (and is also 7 strong ...) but Destiny raids are something that we do keep coming back to and we've only run the first raid in this game so ...

And i'm still putting 10-15 mins into Brawlhalla each evening, almost as a warm-up. Not certain if I'll carry this on once I get those long achievements but I don't have to think about about that game.
Similar in fact to Alto's Adventures that I'm also putting a few minutes into each day as a time filler whilst waiting (on trains, etc)

Apologises for the length - I got a little caught up in writing - oops
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

That Namco bundle had Pac-Man Championship Edition DX for a dollar, so I picked it up and lost a whole bunch of time in it. It's addicting, for sure, but it's such a blast. And I'm not a score chaser most of the time, but I have a few Steam friends with the game and now I'm after their scores. I got to 3.1 million over the weekend and will be moving up from there shortly.
Love this game.