Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
clippa

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by clippa » April 18th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Can you try selecting "no" for fullscreen and then changing the vsync option while playing in windowed mode and then starting again and choosing fullscreen?

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » April 18th, 2019, 12:51 pm

clippa wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 12:44 pm
Can you try selecting "no" for fullscreen and then changing the vsync option while playing in windowed mode and then starting again and choosing fullscreen?
Now it doesn't even give me a choice. It just... Does nothing when I start it. And when I could open the tiny window (which I can barely see, it's that small), going to the menu only asked if I wanted full screen or not. I've never seen this sort of thing happen before.

clippa

Post by clippa » April 18th, 2019, 12:52 pm

The stress is killing me, I spurred him on with cha cha cha's and everything.
Hopefully he's playing the game rather than putting out a fire.

clippa

Post by clippa » April 18th, 2019, 12:53 pm

Here, I'll start the game on my computer right and make sure I've got vsync set to on and then I can upload it and you can replace your file with it, hopefully that'll let you get in and start playing. Give me a minute.

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » April 18th, 2019, 1:00 pm

clippa wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 12:53 pm
Here, I'll start the game on my computer right and make sure I've got vsync set to on and then I can upload it and you can replace your file with it, hopefully that'll let you get in and start playing. Give me a minute.
I appreciate your help, but I figured out the problem. For whatever reason, this game *has no idea* what to do on a 4k display. I turned my resolution down to 1080p, and now it actually works. For a game released in 2018... That's kinda pathetic. But it seems to be working now, so I thank you for your help. <3

clippa

Post by clippa » April 18th, 2019, 1:01 pm

Looks like they've made a new "setup" file for the game since the last patch that added analogue movement.
The first one is the one you need but may as well grab both.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 8849241500
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 2223814968

Open a folder and paste this into the adress bar
C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\ZeroRanger\SAVEDATA

Replace *** with your username and drag those files into there.
Alternatively, you could just open your setup2.zr file in notepad and change vsync="0" to vsync="1"
and fullscreen="0" to fullscreen="1"

clippa

Post by clippa » April 18th, 2019, 1:03 pm

Yay! I thought you weren't going to be able to play ZeroRanger for a minute there, and more importantly be a bit cross with me!

clippa

Post by clippa » April 18th, 2019, 1:07 pm

Here, I know a guy called Chryz that posts on resetera, actually, I think he's on my steam buddy list as well, he's 4k daft, he plays this and he'll know how to get it working at 4k if it's something fiddly you have to do if you want me to ask.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » April 18th, 2019, 1:16 pm

Isopod is now morally obligated to finish the game after all this

clippa

Post by clippa » April 18th, 2019, 1:19 pm

Haha, yeah! No spoilers, but there are two loops. We'll tell you when you're finished. You're staying in there until you've saved the universe.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » April 18th, 2019, 1:21 pm

:lol:

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » April 18th, 2019, 2:14 pm

The game's certainly not shy about where it's inspiration comes from. Got very blatant nods to R-Type, Gradius, Raiden, Cotton, Touhou and a few other "maybes" in there, in either the art assets or music. Needs more Thunder Force tho.

I got to... Inside Skeleton Jim? And now it's just kinda too hard, and I gotta go to bed.

In general... I dunno. It's okay. The limited colour palette is a drag because I'm having difficulty seeing where my ship is most of the time. It's got a big problem with screen real estate too - they take an already narrow aspect ratio and frequently have you in tight spaces, with lots of bullets that either move slowly or just eat a massive space on your screen until they disappear. The music is *fantastic*, and the game design is tight... But it's kinda of ugly to look at, and the limited colour pallet makes it really hard to distinguish background from foreground; what can kill you by touching you, and what can't.

Overall, it gets a few things right, but I'm not terribly impressed. It makes some really weird decisions that fundamentally hurt it's potential.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » April 18th, 2019, 2:32 pm

It made it onto the shmups forum's top 25 games of all time this year, so I guess it's doing OK. The lazy shorthand is that it's 'the Undertale of shmups'. I'm looking forward to it coming to Switch, definitely.

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » April 18th, 2019, 2:53 pm

Stanshall wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 2:32 pm
It made it onto the shmups forum's top 25 games of all time this year, so I guess it's doing OK. The lazy shorthand is that it's 'the Undertale of shmups'. I'm looking forward to it coming to Switch, definitely.
I'm picky at the best of times. I didn't especially like Ikaruga, Tatsujin, Thunder Force III or UN Squadron, all of which are acclaimed. They're not bad games, probably... I just don't like them. My Top SHMUPs are probably like... Einhander, Thunder Force IV, R-Type 3, Raiden II, Raiden Fighters (all of them), and some mix of Hellfire, Darius Gaiden, Air Buster, Wings of Wor and Shienryu tacked on the end. Is there a common thread between them all? Probably not. My likes are sporadic.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » April 18th, 2019, 3:11 pm

Fair enough. We might be covering old ground as I'm more of a bullet hell kind of guy but I'm starting to try to get into some of those via various means. Konami Collection released today, lots of Gradius type of things on there and quite enjoying it so far.

I'm sure there's an Einhander high score comp going on this month at the RFGeneration forum Shmup Club. I don't use the forum but I heard about it and I've seen a few people streaming and practising it this month, like the Studio Mudprints guy.

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » April 18th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Einhander is a special beast for score attack. If you go in vanilla, you will probably get curbstomped. If you've unlocked all the weapons and ships, you can beast it. I recommend, at very least, unlocking the Riot, Canon, Hedgehog, Grenade and Vulcan permanently (you can pick them up in-game, but unlocking them lets you equip them at the start) and... The red ship. I forget the name of it. That'll give you enough options to figure out your ideal playstyle. I personally use the ship that fires both weapons at once, with the Vulcan on top and the Riot on the bottom... But most "pros" use the one that can store 3 weapons at once and only fire one at a time.

Some additional compilations I'd highly recommend for SHMUPs:
- Taito Legends 2 (PS2/XBOX)
- Raiden Fighters Aces (360)
- Ultimate Shooter Collection (Wii)
- Capcom Classic collection 2 (PS2/XB)

Happy hunting.

clippa

Post by clippa » April 18th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Magical_Isopod wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 2:14 pm
In general... I dunno. It's okay.
Give it time, I was a bit cold at first. It gets going once you get to the second loop and you're playing a lot tighter. There's a mini rank system where some of the bosses will have harder patterns if you're doing well.

I don't really like all the references and the meta stuff.
personally I think Blue Revolver deserved all the praise ZeroRanger got, but it's still a really good game.
As someone who likes both but much prefers bullet hell, this is one of the more traditional oldschool games I ended up really enjoying.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » April 18th, 2019, 9:31 pm

Just played a couple of hours on my sons Switch. I played a lot of Mario Kart, which was fun. First time I've managed to play a decent amount of single player. I do feel like 150cc is the way the game is 'meant' to be played. There is actually a sense of speed, and it's not as crazy as 200cc. The lower speeds just seem like you're learning the tracks.

Also played the Yoshi's Crafted World demo, which was incredibly charming. I've not played a Yoshi game since the SNES one, so this kind of blew me away really! I really enjoyed it.

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » April 18th, 2019, 9:54 pm

Aww, that reminds me of going to the arcade with my dad as a smol bab. Area 51, Raiden and Galaga were some of his faves.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » April 19th, 2019, 7:19 am

Settling into the loop in State of Decay 2 now. I have moved my community into a mid-sized base, which should put paid to morale and food-based issues, and let me focus on clearing out the Plague Hearts, of which there are ten. I've only done two yet, and they get stronger the more you destroy.

I still don't have a weapons workshop, which might prompt the next base move, as a lot of my weapons are damaged now.

Enjoying it well enough.