Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
hazeredmist

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by hazeredmist »

Nice! It's done. Cost me £4.99 with points. It'll download next time I fire up the Switch, I may bump it up the queue ahead of Neko Nightmare...
Suits

Post by Suits »

🥳
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Neko Navy! :D
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Haha I always get the name wrong in my head. I've had to google it several times when I tell people I've purchased it. Some weird mental block. I usually say "Neku" too :D
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

In fairness, the sausage-themed level is kind of like a nightmare. Like a fever dream after a dodgy mixed grill.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

So, I'm going to need to pick my next game after Valkyria Chronicles soon (though probably not as soon as I think considering how bad at the game I am).

I was thinking of cutting through some classic PS1 JRPGs I missed; Wild Arms, Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon and Suikoden and just going through those all in a row, maybe.

But! The C&R episodes on Final Fantasy have me really hankering to replay FF 6-10 and I just don't know! I've only got so much time! Play the new games I've put off or replay those ones I loved and haven't played since I was 16...
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

duskvstweak wrote: May 2nd, 2019, 6:41 pm
I was thinking of cutting through some classic PS1 JRPGs I missed; Wild Arms, Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon and Suikoden and just going through those all in a row, maybe.

But! The C&R episodes on Final Fantasy have me really hankering to replay FF 6-10 and I just don't know! I've only got so much time! Play the new games I've put off or replay those ones I loved and haven't played since I was 16...
If you haven't played them, I'd recommend the Lunar games and Front Mission 3 as well. Front Mission in particulars might carry the FFT buzz.

As for replaying longer games, I find that some games are better revisited as Let's Plays than actually dedicating 40-80 hours a piece to. The only Final Fantasy games I could see myself actually replaying are 5 and 7, possibly also 8 because it's so weird. Maybe 10, because that battle system is so great.

... I still maintain that ExDeath is a great villain.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

After getting through one of the routes on Out Run af the weekend, I’ve now done all five, unlocked all the Sega Ages version cars and buffs, and the original arcade version. I’m going through every route on that now. Not sure what the difference is if you were only using the original car in the other version, but glad to have an excuse to keep going now I’m finally not bad at it.

I am still bad at Cuphead, with several more hours now spent making no tangible progress. I’m enjoying it though having accepted my fate. I’ve started Mega Man 5 for some light relief from that too. Looks nice but four bosses down I can say it’s definitely no Mega Man 2.

UPDATE: One quick go on Cuphead later and I cleared another boss and got a perfect run on a run ‘n gun level. Maybe there was some progress!
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

More Sega Ages love here with Virtua Racing on the Switch (via Japanese eShop, hopefully will trickle everywhere else).

On one hand, yeah, it would have been great to include all the Megadrive/32x versions as extra content, but considering the difficulty of simply getting original source code, what is included is nothing short of brilliant.

The motion controls for steering are alright: if you're going for fast lap time traditional controls are more accurate. But it's all gold.

Considering the trickle of Sega Ages titles on the Switch, I can only assume (because I have no definite proof) that it will, prehaps, hopefully, it will be available everywhere. But if your impatient, Japanese eShop, ¥999!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Well worth a watch:
Joshihatsumitsu

Thanks! Can't wait to watch that video after work (would look a little toooooo obvious that I'm not working terribly hard... one must balance the art of looking busy), but I did subsequently read the Eurogamer article regarding this, and yeah, it's a pretty awesome achievement.

Watching my little polygoned driver gracefully toss his hat off, I assume into the cosmos where is continues to spin forever, is super charming.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Suits wrote: May 2nd, 2019, 9:57 am
Box Boy & Box Girl - I’ve literally just started this and flew through the first few worlds as I’m familiar with the gameplay having spent a wonderful time with the 3DS version. My wife has threated to join in with me on the Co-Op adventure but I’m hesitant with this as I’ve heard there is a fundamental issue with the challenges making them a literal pushover.
Not sure if you’re aware by this post, but Tale of Two is treated separately in game than Tale of One and is a different set of puzzles - not just single player with two boxes. You can even play them single player, switching between boxes but it’s a bit fiddly.

Without spoiling things, I’ve just finished Tale of One and I’m still working through other parts of the game.

Love it! Though also playing it somewhat obsessively in that if I don’t get all the medals I’ll immediately replay the level until I do.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: May 2nd, 2019, 11:33 pm More Sega Ages love here with Virtua Racing on the Switch (via Japanese eShop, hopefully will trickle everywhere else).

On one hand, yeah, it would have been great to include all the Megadrive/32x versions as extra content, but considering the difficulty of simply getting original source code, what is included is nothing short of brilliant.

The motion controls for steering are alright: if you're going for fast lap time traditional controls are more accurate. But it's all gold.

Considering the trickle of Sega Ages titles on the Switch, I can only assume (because I have no definite proof) that it will, prehaps, hopefully, it will be available everywhere. But if your impatient, Japanese eShop, ¥999!
Got any tips? I've come first on Beginner but best I've managed on Intermediate and Advanced is 4th and 5th despite no crashes or spins.

Should I slow down and take good racing lines? Master powersliding? Cheat?
Joshihatsumitsu

seansthomas wrote: May 4th, 2019, 8:35 pm Got any tips? I've come first on Beginner but best I've managed on Intermediate and Advanced is 4th and 5th despite no crashes or spins.

Should I slow down and take good racing lines? Master powersliding? Cheat?
Hmm.... as someone who falls is squarely in the "alright" level of gaming talent, I would say...

Manual is faster is than automatic at the higher speeds, but also at particular corners. So, I guess it's all about the race line, slow in/fast out.

Also, I guess because this is arcade-born, the DNA is replay-ability, so the difficulty starts easy then ramps up for the credits. So.... hmm... does anyone else on the forum have tips? Cheats? What does powers sliding actually do in Virtua Racing? I genuinely don't know.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Gave up on Monster Boy probably 80% of the way through because the level design became a little too bullshit for my liking (lots of cheap deaths you can't see coming until you've died, lots of really poorly designed platforming, etc.). Very good game, and I'd recommend it for folks who like Metroidvanias and that who cutesy retro aesthetic, but it's a solid rental for me. It does a lot of game design things I have very little patience for toward the end, and life's too short to be frustrated.

I started Dying Light which... Is alright. It's got me hooked enough to possibly finish it, but I'm already seeing some stuff I hate. It uses R1 to jump, which makes no sense to me, and you can't remap it. Unlike Mirror's Edge, which actually uses the face buttons smartly to support the speedy flow of the game, Dying Light uses the face buttons for... Utility nonsense that would have been better on the shoulder buttons. And despite being a game released in this century, you can't remap the controls, which game devs need to fucking stop.

But the story is interesting, and while the awkward controls make some platforming a royal pain in the ass, the parkour is overall very fun. The zombambos play as sort of a "the floor is lava" mechanic, so it creates this great gameplay loop where you're trying to keep to high ground at all times. Built-in mini-games like that are great for supporting longer games, so I'm gonna ride this train til I'm bored of it.

... Considering I haven't beaten anything since Metro Exodus, I'm really pining for a truly great game that's actually worth finishing.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I totally agree unmappable controls are unforgivable, but didn't find them to be an issue in Dying Light. Once it gets more hectic they work pretty well, with quick switches needed etc. The game itself is great, albeit far too long. I found myself mainlining the story from about two thirds through. I started the expansion recently and driving round in the buggy is hugely enjoyable, but ultimately didn't offer enough new to hook me back in.

And fuck night time in that game. Seriously. Fuck night time. Unlock as many safe houses as you can in daylight because come dusk, you'll want to be darting for one to get your head down for the night! The game is basically unplayable at night.
Magical_Isopod wrote: May 5th, 2019, 12:40 am The zombambos play as sort of a "the floor is lava" mechanic
:lol:

Yes it does, haha. Never thought of that!
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

All sorts on the go on the Switch at the moment...

Final Fantasy 7: Been playing for over 10 hours but get the feeling I’m only just getting started. Definitely looks dated but it’s still playing just fine.

Cuphead: Finished the first island. It really is brilliant!

Mega Man 5: Got to Proto Man’s Castle. It’s enjoyable but having recently played through then previous four, there’s not a lot new going on.

Mutant Football League: I had asked for this for my birthday next week but noticed it was £14.99 on Amazon the other day and couldn’t resist! Very good ultra violent, comedic fantasy American football game. Great tutorial too for novices to the sport like me too!

Sega Ages Out Run: Can’t stay away, but after my recent obsession to get everything finished, I’m just playing for fun now.

Super Blood Hockey: I’ve never been into real ice hockey but have enjoyed ice hockey games since the Spectrum. This super-violent take on it has more of a SNES look, is easy to get into and has surprising depth. Really pleased with it.

Baba is You: Going to take quite something for this to not be my game of the year. So, so fiendishly clever and I’m now avoiding playing as much to drag it out so it doesn’t end!

Konami Arcade Classics: I really, really like every game on here. Except Haunted Palace, of course, which I really, really want to like but there is almost no enjoyment to be had there! Can’t believe I haven’t been playing TwinBee since 1985 though!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I bought Xenoblade Chronicles X for Wii U for not a lot of money and decided to throw it in for a quick impression... And now I can't stop playing it!

Not even sure why. Maybe it's the Breath of the Wild DNA in reverse?
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Michiel K wrote: May 5th, 2019, 11:48 am I bought Xenoblade Chronicles X for Wii U for not a lot of money and decided to throw it in for a quick impression... And now I can't stop playing it!

Interesting you say that, because in retrospect, I disliked both games -- for very similar reasons. Both games were worked on by MonolithSoft, so it makes a degree of sense. I wonder if Xenoblade X was a prototype of sorts for Breath of the Wild? Could explain the lengthy delays - some exec saw Xenoblade X come out and decided, "Make Zorlda more like this!!!" Be really curious to know.

Has anyone played Xenoblade 2, by chance? Because I'm very curious to know if that game is more similar to Xenoblade Chronicles, or to Xenoblade X. I am beginning to ponder if there are two teams at MonolithSoft - evidently, one I really like, and one I really don't. :P
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Magical_Isopod wrote: May 5th, 2019, 3:52 pm
Michiel K wrote: May 5th, 2019, 11:48 am I bought Xenoblade Chronicles X for Wii U for not a lot of money and decided to throw it in for a quick impression... And now I can't stop playing it!

Interesting you say that, because in retrospect, I disliked both games -- for very similar reasons. Both games were worked on by MonolithSoft, so it makes a degree of sense. I wonder if Xenoblade X was a prototype of sorts for Breath of the Wild? Could explain the lengthy delays - some exec saw Xenoblade X come out and decided, "Make Zorlda more like this!!!" Be really curious to know.

Has anyone played Xenoblade 2, by chance? Because I'm very curious to know if that game is more similar to Xenoblade Chronicles, or to Xenoblade X. I am beginning to ponder if there are two teams at MonolithSoft - evidently, one I really like, and one I really don't. :P
Humble plug...

https://caneandrinse.com/monolith-soft- ... -the-wild/

Yup I've completed XC 1 & 2 and put 60 hours into XCX. Far preferred 1 and 2 to X. XC2 goes back to wonderful music, a big story arc, melee combat and is really good. Never fell in love with it like I did XC1 but I'm very glad I beat it.

X is a funny beast. I think the art design of the planet itself is absolutely incredible. Whereas I hated the character design, music, lack of story, enemies, menus and combat all felt like massive backsteps after XC1. X has loads more in common with BOTW than XC1 or 2.

But despite all that, I rate BOTW as my favourite games ever, so figure that out..